Cost for architecture plans

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Has anyone paid for a complete set of house plans in the Dr? I am talking about someone taking your drawing on a napkin and producing a complete set of drawings . I have been quoted 185,000 for this service. House will be approx 1000sq ft (small) .

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Many years ago, but I know a person who built a home and paid 5% of the value of the villa for the plans.

• Wow
Reactions: lifeisgreat

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Three years ago I paid 83,000 pesos,so less than half of what you are being quoted.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Has anyone paid for a complete set of house plans in the Dr? I am talking about someone taking your drawing on a napkin and producing a complete set of drawings . I have been quoted 185,000 for this service. House will be approx 1000sq ft (small) .
My sister-in-law and her husband in November of last year paid RD$175,000 for a set of plans for a big house. IIRC it's a 4 bedroom 5 bathroom 2 kitchen 2 living room etc etc in Santo Domingo proper. They we're offered the service of plans and project management for 10% of total cost of the project or just the plans for above listed price. In this case the costs of the plans is about 1% the cost of project cost. This sounds like a good rule of thumb.

wayne

Dec 25, 2003
The going rate on the north coast is US$9-15 a square meter.

Jan 8, 2017

My wife and I are building a small home for her mom, roughly the same size as you and we paid $170,000 for plans. My wife received a referral from a friend currently building a house using this same architect and we have been very happy with the work.

My wife doesn’t want to do a Dominican bank loan so we are building it in stages, the Dominican way. I am curious to know, once Dominican families start there home builds in stages, what is the average time to completion….??? Would appreciate feedback from what you have seen…

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
My wife and I are building a small home for her mom, roughly the same size as you and we paid $170,000 for plans. My wife received a referral from a friend currently building a house using this same architect and we have been very happy with the work.

My wife doesn’t want to do a Dominican bank loan so we are building it in stages, the Dominican way. I am curious to know, once Dominican families start there home builds in stages, what is the average time to completion….??? Would appreciate feedback from what you have seen…
The speed of completion is directly related to the family's income. The more quickly the funds are available, the faster the build. Often the first floor gets built years before the second.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The speed of completion is directly related to the family's income. The more quickly the funds are available, the faster the build. Often the first floor gets built years before the second.
This is correct. All about how much money they have. My wife's brother took two years to build his because he would supervise the construction when he came from the states once or twice a year and in his case time was the problem ot money. He is a contractor in the states so did all the electrical, plumbing, and cabinets himself.

Reactions: keepcoming

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This is correct. All about how much money they have. My wife's brother took two years to build his because he would supervise the construction when he came from the states once or twice a year and in his case time was the problem ot money. He is a contractor in the states so did all the electrical, plumbing, and cabinets himself.
Oh you’re so right. And hit a nerve. We bought 15 tareas in late 1970s. Mr AE’s brothers farmed it, mostly onions, tomatoes, etc. At some point, mid 1980s, WITHOUT TELLING US, my mother-in-law decided to start a house. She lived in Santo Domingo and wanted someplace to go stay from time to time. Someone got a grant of blocks, did the foundation and started interior and exterior walls. After that was done, it was SURPRISE! We weren’t happy with either the house or the location. She had them build it close to the southern side if the property. Why? So she didn’t have to walk so far to visit the neighbor. 😳. It was done in stages, took years because we (unbelievably) had no input. Someone owed one brother money, and didn’t have it, but he was a well driller, so we got a well. I remember we paid for the roof, the windows and the ceramic tiles. Which they chose. It took years, done piecemeal. Some construction things got stolen. After it was finally finished, MIL spent weeks at a time there.

We never stayed there. We did spend many days there, but we left each evening. All the neighbors thought it was her house, or the oldest brother’s. They found out it was ours when the deslinde sign went up on the gate with Mr AE’s name on it.

About 14-15 years ago, we began renovating and have built 3 extensions (large new kitchen, new master suite and a 35x20’ raised covered terrazzo). All the windows were replaced, with screens, which “stops the breeze”. Couldn’t do anything about it not being centered on the lot, haha. It was a personal affront that we modified “her” house.

Id never ever build anything else there. Not Dominican or American style.

Reactions: keepcoming

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
My sister in-law same thing. Building in stages. The "shell" was up for a while (2 story) then they started with the flooring, windows, patio and front porch area. And that is the stage it has been for a while. One of the issues I think is that she went too big. So of course, more money. Because it has been done in "stages" it seems there is always something they need to go back and fix or adjust because of the time passed. The house was built on land we own. At one point the family wanted me and my spouse to "buy" and complete the house. That was a no go for me because again the house is too big, and not something I would want to live in.