Planting Boxes

potus

Dec 27, 2015
Good day, I live on the upper floor of a two story building. The building looks very lifeless. There is a lot of space and sunshine. I decided to order some planting boxess and seeds from Amazon. I also bought black earth and humus.
The thing is, I never in my life grew anything at all.
I plan to plant eatable items....I will do all together with my kids. Any pointers you could give me on what grows best, watering, special care and about all else.
I tried to find some YouTube videos, bit even though they are helpful, they are mostly taking place in other climates.
Any pointers would be appreciated....the boxes are of nice size volume wise....

Thank you. :cool:

Reactions: Drak

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I am planting now 150 foot long garden in Juan Dolio: tomatoes, basil, cucumbers, chayote, potatoes , long string beans and more. If you want to stop by sometime next week I can give for some pointers. DM me.

• Love
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I tried planting tomatoes here and all i got was flowers no tomatoes could never figured that out . Wind guy would you know why?
i was thinking maybe no bees

potus

Dec 27, 2015
I am planting now 150 foot long garden in Juan Dolio: tomatoes, basil, cucumbers, chayote, potatoes , long string beans and more. If you want to stop by sometime next week I can give for some pointers. DM me.
PM was sent.....thank you.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I tried planting tomatoes here and all i got was flowers no tomatoes could never figured that out . Wind guy would you know why?
I am guessing it may be : Insufficient sunlight, insufficient or irregular watering, poor nutrients ( need fertilizer) or more organic material in your soil. I have no problem producing tomatoes.

Drak

Jul 7, 2015
In addition to Bob's comments, yours about the lack of bees (pollinators) may probably be why.

They need to have ants, bees, wind, etc to pollinate.

In the video below she uses a Q-Tip, but you can just lightly touch them in the tips of your fingers, moving from flower to flower.

You should see them budding shortly after.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I find for all the trouble trying to grow edibles, unless you have a big space for fruit trees and a garden big enough to make rows and fence it off, it is cheaper to get everything at the store.
The only things I ever had much luck with was beef heart tomatoes, corn and snap peas.
All the leafy vegetables fed the bugs very well, but not me.

I would likely die trying to live off the grid

• Love
Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I find for all the trouble trying to grow edibles, unless you have a big space for fruit trees and a garden big enough to make rows and fence it off, it is cheaper to get everything at the store.
The only things I ever had much luck with was beef heart tomatoes, corn and snap peas.

Gotta have a green thumb, that's for sure. The only luck I had was with tomatoes as well. The weird thing is they used to disappear right off of the vine. :rolleyes:

potus

Dec 27, 2015

I imagine it to be a fun project and improve the building looks.....My planting Boxes should arrive this week....along with the seeds.....

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
If you are planting in containers, it is a good idea to lighten up the soil.
Potting soil might be better than straight up black earth.
The black earth tends to turn to a concrete like substance after a week or two in a container.
Are the planters going to be on a balcony or on ground level?
Herbs are a good way to start and will give you more for your efforts.
Parsley, sage, rosemary. and thyme.
You could also sow basil seeds on a regular basis nd have a good supply for your pestos.

potus

Dec 27, 2015
If you are planting in containers, it is a good idea to lighten up the soil.
Potting soil might be better than straight up black earth.
The black earth tends to turn to a concrete like substance after a week or two in a container.
Are the planters going to be on a balcony or on ground level?
Herbs are a good way to start and will give you more for your efforts.
Parsley, sage, rosemary. and thyme.
You could also sow basil seeds on a regular basis nd have a good supply for your pestos.

Outstanding, thank you. I am on the first floor. Always sunny.....yes, I will definitely advise of progress.....The person at the Vivero also told me I should intermix the Black earth with something called Humus....I bought that as well.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
In the Capital...right on Sarasota....very impressive...a bit pricey....but what is not these days?
Didn't find any in JD or BC? I don't buy plants as I do everything from seed.But I could use a local place for garden related supplies.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
There is nothing in BC that I know of, Johne. But that doesn't mean a ton as I don't have a garden. Anything related to yard maintenance I get at a ferretria
I found this out as well thru my searches but just was double checking with him. I did find a start up operation last week in JD where I bought two 50 pound bags of fertilizer very reasonable. They don't have seeds (not a problem for me as I buy in NY each month) and doesn't have liquid products of any sort.

Reactions: NanSanPedro