Planting Boxes

potus

Dec 27, 2015
On your PC:

1. Open a reply box, Put your mouse on the square box with two little hills in it. A window should open that says "Insert image"
View attachment 5831
2. Click on it, and a window will open that says "Drop image or click here"
3. If the photo is on your computer, click on it and it will open a window to File Explorer on your PC.
4. Search for the image on your PC. When you find it, click on it to highlight it, then click "open" and it will appear here in your reply.

If the image is on the internet:
1. Go to the image on the internet
2. Right click on the image
3. Select "copy image"
4. Come back to your reply box, right click, and select "Paste"

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Funny, I've never had the option to drag/insert image as shown in your screenshot. I can only use a URL
Probably because you've never tried but I bet you can.

Me neither, until a few weeks ago but it worked. It just doesn't jive with the method I am accustomed to using ( copy/paste).

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Beautiful pix!
Thanks.
I got lucky with that one.
I call it... flyonmint.
I like to think he may be a distant relative. 🪰
A backyard or a patio/terrace garden provide unlimited and compelling possibilities for even the most unskilled of amateur photographers.
Glad you like it.

Reactions: johne

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
I imagine it to be a fun project and improve the building looks.....My planting Boxes should arrive this week....along with the seeds.....
So...
Did the planter boxes arrive?
It's been 3 weeks.
Enquiring minds want to know.
In the mean time, I thought I'd upload a picture of my new bay laurel plant.
I use bay leaves all the time in the kitchen but never got around to trying a plant.
Wish me good luck, it appears to be a bit of a slow grower...

P7010023.JPG

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I am guessing it may be : Insufficient sunlight, insufficient or irregular watering, poor nutrients ( need fertilizer) or more organic material in your soil. I have no problem producing tomatoes.
Absolutely correct. And as far as "flowers and no polllinatation" that is not a problem with tomatoes as they self pollinize." If you can make it here you can make it anywhere...in theDominican Republic", as far as growing tomatoes.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Was that from seed or .....?
No.
I purchased it as a small plant.
Four stems.
I see growth on three of the four.
Under the right conditions it should be able to grow into quite a specimen.
It remains to be seen if I can provide those conditions.
If I can't, it won't be for lack of trying.🪴
But hey...
Where's potus?
I was looking forward to an update on his efforts.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Was that from seed or .....?
When starting from seed it is all about soil temperature and keeping the seed bed moist.
I have found both of these conditions to be challenging to control outside.
I am so looking forward to a green house and a specific germination house.
No.
I purchased it as a small plant.
Four stems.
I see growth on three of the four.
Under the right conditions it should be able to grow into quite a specimen.
It remains to be seen if I can provide those conditions.
If I can't, it won't be for lack of trying.🪴
But hey...
Where's potus?
I was looking forward to an update on his efforts.
I've noticed that in the grocery stores that they have many varieties of plants available in the refrigerated section.
For those that are not interested in starting something from seed.
You can still have your fresh herbs available when and where you need them most.

potus

Dec 27, 2015
When starting from seed it is all about soil temperature and keeping the seed bed moist.
I have found both of these conditions to be challenging to control outside.
I am so looking forward to a green house and a specific germination house.

I've noticed that in the grocery stores that they have many varieties of plants available in the refrigerated section.
For those that are not interested in starting something from seed.
You can still have your fresh herbs available when and where you need them most.
We finally just dove into it and got our feet wet>>>Here is where we are so far>>

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
@potus,
I am glad to see you back with an update on your container garden experiment.
First off...
I am impressed to see how you have gone from being unable to post a photo to actually producing and posting a you Tube video.
Wow.
Well done.
Those are some nice planter boxes but a word of caution...
Those cherry tomato plants will demand a lot of room and a ton of support as they begin to grow and bear fruit.
They might be better off in a standing pot with a depth of least 15 inches and a diameter of about 12 inches with an ability to stake the plants.
Not to second guess your green thumb assistant but those planter boxes could do with a bit of a top up. They don't appear to be anywhere near full enough.
But then maybe that's just the camera angle.
BTW...
Keep a close eye on that fire engine dog, Arson.
lol.
He looks like just the sort that, given half a chance, will have his big wet nose rummaging around in the earth...just because he can.
Such a sweetie..
Stay green and garden on. 🍅

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Those cherry tomato plants will demand a lot of room and a ton of support as they begin to grow and bear fruit.
They might be better off in a standing pot with a depth of least 15 inches and a diameter of about 12 inches with an ability to stake the plants.
I got a tip off of Youtube that said to transplant your tomato plants several times.
Start them in a 4 inch, move them to 6 inch and then finish them off in a their final growing place.
You will need stakes most def.
Before each transplanting phase pull off all except for the top tier of leaves and plant all the way into the growing medium.
That way at each step you can develop a larger and larger root system for the plants to really jump off as they move into the flowering and fruit production stage.
I followed the tip and the system worked well for me.
Much success.
Nothing like fresh cherry tomato on your salads.🍅

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I planted a couple of cherry tomato plants once and was amazed at how much they produced. It was open season for all of my neighbors and we still couldn't eat all of them.

potus

Dec 27, 2015
@potus,
I am glad to see you back with an update on your container garden experiment.
First off...
I am impressed to see how you have gone from being unable to post a photo to actually producing and posting a you Tube video.
Wow.
Well done.
Not to second guess your green thumb assistant but those planter boxes could do with a bit of a top up. They don't appear to be anywhere near full enough.
But then maybe that's just the camera angle.
BTW...
lol.
He looks like just the sort that, given half a chance, will have his big wet nose rummaging around in the earth...just because he can.
Such a sweetie..
Thank you very much.....Yes, I am posting videos here for some time now....The Photos have just not worked, and it is not my computer, I tried it from three different devices. No concern with Arsen, he is extremely well behaved...he is a very well mannered Great Dane. Thank you for your advise.:cool:

potus

Dec 27, 2015
I got a tip off of Youtube that said to transplant your tomato plants several times.
Start them in a 4 inch, move them to 6 inch and then finish them off in a their final growing place.
You will need stakes most def.
Before each transplanting phase pull off all except for the top tier of leaves and plant all the way into the growing medium.
That way at each step you can develop a larger and larger root system for the plants to really jump off as they move into the flowering and fruit production stage.
I followed the tip and the system worked well for me.
Much success.
Nothing like fresh cherry tomato on your salads.🍅
Outstanding...thank you for your help and tips.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
@potus,

BTW...
lol.
Such a sweetie..
... No concern with Arsen, he is extremely well behaved...he is a very well mannered Great Dane. Thank you for your advise.:cool:

Arsen?
Great Dane?
Hah.
And there I was thinking...Arson...what a great name for a fire engine dog. (Dalmation)
Clearly I'm not an expert on dog breeds.
Better stick to gardening.
Btw...
Arsen is a great name for a Great Dane.
But then you knew that, didn't you?
Stay green and garden on.

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
Arsen?
Great Dane?
Hah.
And there I was thinking...Arson...what a great name for a fire engine dog. (Dalmation)
Clearly I'm not an expert on dog breeds.
Better stick to gardening.
Btw...
Arsen is a great name for a Great Dane.
But then you knew that, didn't you?
Stay green and garden on.
I'll confess my ignorance, even after searching. LOL

Why is Arsen a great name for a Great Dane? (y)