RD$33 billion for Santiago’s monorail/cable car system, but not all are happy

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Monorriel-de-Santiago-Diario-Libre-1024x653.png

The mass transit system — monorail and cable car — for the nation’s second-largest city, Santiago de los Caballeros, is estimated to cost over RD$33 billion. The winning bid for the design and construction of the system, made by the Santiago Metropolitan Transportation System Consortium (CSTM), is RD$25 billion and the equipment is pegged at another RD$8.6 billion. The system would transport up to 40,000 passengers per hour and absorb up to 30% of the approximate 1.2 million commutes taken daily in the city. The service today is provided by conchos (shared taxis), motoconchos (shared motorcycles), mini-buses and the infamous “voladoras,” (vans), all used by the general public.

The mass transit system will cross the entire city, from Cienfuegos in the west to Pekin in the southeast, some 15 kilometers. It will have 16 stations and a terminus that will connect with the...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
All of the concho and moto concho drivers will still be able to transport folks to the Metro station.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
They started work on this project here a few months ago. One lane of traffic on Av. Circunvalacion y Antonio Guzman (at the bridge) is currently closed causing massive back ups. Seems like there is construction happening on every corner in the center of town. This city is definitely growing and moving forward.

• Haha
Reactions: bachata

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
They started work on this project here a few months ago. One lane of traffic on Av. Circunvalacion y Antonio Guzman (at the bridge) is currently closed causing massive back ups. Seems like there is construction happening on every corner in the center of town. This city is definitely growing and moving forward.
Wonder Land is here where I live and work.
An electric bus Worth one million Dollars transport one single passenger for free every day on a express route.
I see the man every day being dropped off at the end of the line.

JJ

Reactions: CristoRey

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Sorry off topic... but I guess Amber Highway is not going to be. Not surprising, but still disappointing
Why do you say that? The Amber Highway is not connected to the monorail/cable car system, and I have heard nothing about it being cancelled.

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
Why do you say that? The Amber Highway is not connected to the monorail/cable car system, and I have heard nothing about it being cancelled.

Well, I have not heard anything about that it started. Have you or anyone else? Now when the carretera turistica is nice I fear that they will cancel this project.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Well, I have not heard anything about that it started. Have you or anyone else? Now when the carretera turistica is nice I fear that they will cancel this project.
I can only say that I met a Dominican architect a few months ago who was working on the Amber Highway. He was fully involved, including designing two tunnels. Now, it may have ground to a halt since then - I don't know, but it was definitely ongoing when I spoke to this guy.