Sosua Beach Unions Want More Involvement

Status
Not open for further replies.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Yep. So far, nothing but vague, very carefully worded press releases.
Check in with some of the other expert members that said "done deal".. 'all settled", "Pres. is involved he will light the light". "THEY" know all.:cool:

Reactions: Big

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
It's a lot clearer now. There's going to be a readecuacion of the arrabalizacion.
I think the word readecuación is not the right one to use in this case, don't know who Said it first if the president or the news reporters.
I think Remozamiento would be a better word.

JJ

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Glad to see all will be good:

Abinader leaves Sosúa beach renovation work started​

The work involves the complete readjustment of the sales modules of the merchants who provide service on the beach​

Edgar Lantigua
Puerto Plata, RD

In the first of a dozen activities headed this Saturday in Puerto Plata, President Luis Abinader, together with Minister David Collado, began the renovation work on Sosúa beach with an investment of 615 million pesos.
The work involves the readjustment of the sales modules of the merchants who provide service on the beach, the construction of a modern parking area and its beautification.
The president stressed that the initiative is a transcendental step for the relaunch of the important tourist destination, which he defined as "the first truly tourist town in the country", indicating that he seeks to recover its development as a healthy, family tourist destination where visitors can walk its streets with complete freedom and integrating all sectors.
Collado, highlighting the development of the work, said that it seeks "the integral development of tourism in Sosúa, with a set of initiatives that go beyond the intervention of the beach and that includes a protection program for the children and adolescents, in conjunction with UNICEF, the governor's office, the mayor's office, the senatorial office and community entities.
He also stressed that for 50 years slums and disorder have reigned on the beach but that with the start of the project a new stage begins.
The Minister of Tourism praised the transparency of the bidding process with the participation of five universities, the Catholic and Evangelical churches, while reiterating that they do not seek to do business but to provide solutions to the problems of the communities and promote their development and indicated that in In the case of the historic center of Puerto Plata, the government initiated the investment of 150 million pesos for the renovation of the different areas of this important destination.
During the ceremony , the mayor of Sosúa, Wilfredo Olivence , thanked the president for his willingness and the effective work of Minister David Collado to make a dream come true for the community that has been fought for decades.
For his part , José Manuel González , spokesman for the Sosúa beach merchants, affirmed that today history is being made in that community, thanks to the efforts of Minister David Collado and the timely call from the president, giving them guarantees that those who carry out their work on the beach they will not be excluded, qualifying the day as one of Joy for this community.
The event was attended by the Administrative Minister of the Presidency José Ignacio Paliza, Governor Claritza Rochette, Senator Ginette Bournigal, Vice Minister Igor Rodríguez, the Commander General of the Navy of the Dominican Republic Vice Admiral Gustavo Betances, the Director General of the National Police, Major General Alberto Then, the director of the DNCD, José Manuel Cabrera, Mr. Andrés Pastoriza, representing the family that owns the land and who ceded part of it to facilitate, and Bishop Julio Cesar Corniel Amaro, who had his charge the blessing of the act.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It still remains to be seen how much of the extremely positive article above actually turns out to come true.
It is normal to have doubts about anything that is said by any government. Even more so here.
There are probably a few on this forum that still doubt anything will change at all. I had little doubt that changes were coming soon.
Am I wrong to expect these changes to happen very soon?

Going from one to three plazas accommodating "all" current vendors, All is now good?
I have doubts about how many of those vendors can afford the government financing in the long term.
It would be unfortunate to have a large amount of new spaces vacant for that or any other reason.
As always, this kind of thing will be more or less than it is said to be and it will be interesting since it is such a public space.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
It is normal to have doubts about anything that is said by any government. Even more so here.
There are probably a few on this forum that still doubt anything will change at all. I had little doubt that changes were coming soon.
Am I wrong to expect these changes to happen very soon?

Going from one to three plazas accommodating "all" current vendors, All is now good?
I have doubts about how many of those vendors can afford the government financing in the long term.
It would be unfortunate to have a large amount of new spaces vacant for that or any other reason.
As always, this kind of thing will be more or less than it is said to be and it will be interesting since it is such a public space.
I'm with you. How many informal small businesses are there on this island? Folks who sell next to nothing or have sales in the hundreds or low thousands? I'd guess many of the beach vendors fall into that category.

Those folks will not be able to survive.

Also, won't all of these vendors be going from informal to formal businesses (Gov't gets their piece of the pie)? That's the reason the Gov't. is even getting involved - to help these vendors become responsible fiscal contributors.

I can see all of that coming from a mile away.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Straight government mafia like power move. 🔫
Long term money grab.
Redistribution of access to public resources for the benefit of the few
Yes, I see it too.
Like a hanging curve ball.⚾

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I'm with you. How many informal small businesses are there on this island? Folks who sell next to nothing or have sales in the hundreds or low thousands? I'd guess many of the beach vendors fall into that category.

Also, won't all of these vendors be going from informal to formal businesses (Gov't gets their piece of the pie)? That's the reason the Gov't. is even getting involved - to help these vendors become responsible fiscal contributors.

One of the pledges this President made when he first took office was to formalize the informal economy.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
"Formalize the informal economy"

Translation: Take solid business ideas that have been developed by those that are undercapitalized but were willing to put in their sweat equity and transfer those business ideas and the revenue that comes with it to those with the power and connections so that they make passive income at the expense of the hard working entrepreneur classes.
Yep, sounds like exactly what is happening with the Beach Vendors.

Government always get a piece of their pie.
Not all business can be conducted in the informal economy.
These businesses cook. Propane has taxes.
These businesses use transportation. Fuel has taxes.
These businesses buy supplies. You think they can buy everything they need from vendors in the informal economy without RNC numbers (you do know what those are right?)

There are those that are critical of how the Beach Vendors handled their business.
Yep, easy to beat on their keyboards while playing lawn chair quarterbacks waiting for the demolition to start.
Tone down for what⁉️

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006

A little article from Sosua News.

"with this project everybody wins".???????????
And what is this project that has us all winning?
I get the same feeling when a Nigerian prince wants to give me money.
Somethings just wrong here.

Status
Not open for further replies.