Electricity goes up yet again

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Grafico-Aumento-Pigsels-e1656934307497.jpg

Residential and small business electricity will cost more starting July 2022. The general increase will be about 9% for modest users. Heavier consumers, those consuming more than 700 kwh and using air-conditioning, for example, will see increases of about 7% in their monthly bills.

This latest price hike is part of the government plan to eliminate the subsidy on electricity by 2026. The hike is the fourth such increase in the past nine months. And, this is really a modest increase given the cost of fuels.

A modest consumer, 0-300 kwh, will need to add RD$115 to the electricity bill payment.

The Superintendent of Electricity told reporters that the true adjustment should have been in the 20%-30% range.

Read more in Spanish:Diario Libre...

[url=https://dr1.com/news/2022/07/04/electricity-goes-up-yet-again/]Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

David61

Mar 17, 2007
Would be OK if we could have a stable electric grid all I see is more and longer blackouts

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Would be nice since they raised the rates if they could deliver their product - electricity out most of the night in Sosua and still this morning at 7:15 AM
Are you trying to apply logic/sense into a govt-provided service? You know this is not how it works...

For me, electricity is already more expensive here than back home but still the service we get is just 100 % incompentence...

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Would be OK if we could have a stable electric grid all I see is more and longer blackouts
Not only that, now that it's summer, they have decided to make apagones during the night, which is of course very smart move... No running A/C then... No sleep then...

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Near 30% increase in the last 8 months.
I remember trying to explain to my Dominican neighbors what will happen as a result of them breaking up and privatizing the CDEEE while at the same time multiple articles were published in the press (which no longer appear in Google search) assuring customers their rates would not increase.
Always trust what your government tells you...
what could possibly go wrong?

Reactions: Seamonkey

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Higher price of oil + announced maintenance + high taxes on electric = higher price of electric in the DR and more blackouts. Higher prices on everything that fails or needs to be replaced due to inflation must be factored in as well.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
The grid is fine, but the mob builds stuff to break. Also the Ede mafia suffocates the people in blackouts to extort money. The gubmint also owes millions in back billing. Someone has to pay Dave!

Britboy

Oct 30, 2021
Samana
Talking to a friend yesterday he told me the local supplier is electricity regularly turns the power off for a few hours daily because he gets a boost in profits when fridges and freezers and other appliances suck more electric getting back to normal. Cunning.
Nothing surprises me here.