Inverter battery question?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Most Dominicans seem to prefer the Trojan T-105 battery and usually get at least 5 years out of them.
There is a good reason for that. I tried several other options and found the Trojan T-105s to be the best option.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
You may remember I bought Trace T-235's a couple of years ago. They are still functioning as the should, but their duration is slowly decreasing, in spite of the fact I check them every week and add a few drops to top them off.
I'm not sure how long they'll last, but I'll probably switch back to Trojans when they go.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Hopefully genuine ones. With the price going up, the motivation to provide fake batteries also rises.

I agree. It's doubtful the ones for 3800 pesos are the same as the ones sold in major stores for 9000+ pesos

One other thing to remember is Dominicans frequently buy them on monthly payment plans.

Reactions: cavok and windeguy

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You may remember I bought Trace T-235's a couple of years ago. They are still functioning as the should, but their duration is slowly decreasing, in spite of the fact I check them every week and add a few drops to top them off.
I'm not sure how long they'll last, but I'll probably switch back to Trojans when they go.
I tried the so-called TRACE batteries once and found them quite inferior.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I just bought some NAPA batteries, made in USA. I kind of wish I purchased the Trojan T105 for 500 pesos more per battery - because they list a higher AMP hour than the NAPA, but I am not sure the ratings are all that accurate. And over time we will see how quick the batteries service hours decline. I like the quick release lever for opening all the cells at once in order to add distilled water. The Trojans have individual caps which is a minor issue, just more time accessing the cells for top off.

For me it doesn't matter if they are "rated high" if they begin to fade and loose performance quickly.
But anytime you are going to plop down $800-$1600 (4 or 8) for batteries you definitely want several good years from them (at least 3-4)

Also install them with new cables and well crimped lugs and a dielectric grease. I learned the hard way how much lugs are eaten - there was almost nothing left of the old ones. I bought a TemCo hammer crimper of amazon that works very well. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E1UUVT0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'd like to see the Trojan T-105s for 3800 pesos. I am sure the seller is offering delivery to your domicile "any day now", just be patient....the check is in the mail

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I just bought some NAPA batteries, made in USA. I kind of wish I purchased the Trojan T105 for 500 pesos more per battery - because they list a higher AMP hour than the NAPA, but I am not sure the ratings are all that accurate. And over time we will see how quick the batteries service hours decline. I like the quick release lever for opening all the cells at once in order to add distilled water. The Trojans have individual caps which is a minor issue, just more time accessing the cells for top off.

For me it doesn't matter if they are "rated high" if they begin to fade and loose performance quickly.
But anytime you are going to plop down $800-$1600 (4 or 8) for batteries you definitely want several good years from them (at least 3-4)

Also install them with new cables and well crimped lugs and a dielectric grease. I learned the hard way how much lugs are eaten - there was almost nothing left of the old ones. I bought a TemCo hammer crimper of amazon that works very well. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E1UUVT0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'd like to see the Trojan T-105s for 3800 pesos. I am sure the seller is offering delivery to your domicile "any day now", just be patient....the check is in the mail
If I'm not mistaken, the quick release caps can be used on other batteries as well.

Jump on FB marketplace and search for Trojan and you'll see dozens of ads for them.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Ya know....

I took L. Kaufman's advice and hooked my batteries up to street power.
They charge most of the time.
When the street fails me........ I have batteries/planta

The house runs off the batteries.. no surges, outages, etc

I couldn't be happier - solved all my problems....

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Many Dominicans will only buy a 1000 watt or 1500 watt inverter - just enough to run some fans, a light, and maybe the TV, and they'll buy them on a monthly payment plan, just like the battery.
Thank you, this I know. These types are not sold with trojan batteries, but generally generic or trojan "knock offs". These devices range from 16 to 20k pesos. The batteries are generally 5 to 6K per and the housing of the inverter holds an economic circuit board which can be purchased separately for replacement between 3 to 5K, depending on the technology of the board. No one finances batteries generally, but no one finances these setups to folks without jobs. Hence "most" Dominicans do not qualify. My take on most is that the majority do not have backup power solutions. I do see Cabarete as a higher income segment as well. This is not the case for the the entire geography.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Ya know....

I took L. Kaufman's advice and hooked my batteries up to street power.
They charge most of the time.
When the street fails me........ I have batteries/planta

The house runs off the batteries.. no surges, outages, etc

I couldn't be happier - solved all my problems....
don't you have solar? I guess you still do, only the batteries take from the grid now.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Thank you, this I know. These types are not sold with trojan batteries, but generally generic or trojan "knock offs". These devices range from 16 to 20k pesos. The batteries are generally 5 to 6K per and the housing of the inverter holds an economic circuit board which can be purchased separately for replacement between 3 to 5K, depending on the technology of the board. No one finances batteries generally, but no one finances these setups to folks without jobs. Hence "most" Dominicans do not qualify. My take on most is that the majority do not have backup power solutions. I do see Cabarete as a higher income segment as well. This is not the case for the the entire geography.
You don't have to buy an inverter and battery as a "combo". They're sold separately. You can pretty much buy anything on time here and, as a last resort, there's always the prestamistas - which many Dominicans do use all too frequently.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
You don't have to buy an inverter and battery as a "combo". They're sold separately. You can pretty much buy anything on time here and, as a last resort, there's always the prestamistas - which many Dominicans do use all too frequently.
I just bought 2 6v and set me back 10k per. Insane

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
don't you have solar? I guess you still do, only the batteries take from the grid now.
Let me enlighten you Magoo.... about solar

Ain't no sun at night..... that's when you use batteries
All day , the solar panels work to recharge the battery bank

At night, the luz Publica keeps them topped up....they never go down except when we lose (rarely) street power

No more battery mtce issues..... an absolute dream

Have a look at Rebecca's system..... HUGE