Excavation on Hill in Sosúa

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I don't know how much truth there is in the rumour I heard, but apparently this project is connected to the environment minister that was murdered recently. Work stopped immediately after his death, but it's resumed again.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
So, it is now down to bare rock? That's going to be a really monumental job gouging out rock to make that site bigger than it is right now.
But I would feel a LOT better plunking down $$ for a Condo or whatever unit they are going to be selling there , IF its foundation is sitting on solid Bed ROCK

So that is actually very positive ,,,they can blast it .. not really that hard .

Reactions: CristoRey

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I'm guessing all of that is caliche. That's what it looks like.
It looks like caliche to me, not loose soil. They "mine" caliche all the time for use as fill to create a firm base for building sites, make tiles from it, build walls from it etc. I don't see a problem with landslides in that spot.

Reactions: CristoRey

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
So you DROVE by again ?
Uhm, no. What I saw in the truck that pulled out ahead of me last time I drove throug the area, and what is in the picture is the color of caliche .
As others have pointed out as well. There should be no worries of a landslide coming down ,

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It looks like caliche to me, not loose soil. They "mine" caliche all the time for use as fill to create a firm base for building sites, make tiles from it, build walls from it etc. I don't see a problem with landslides in that spot.
Yup

Me too

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
To me it does not look like caliche has been added, but it does look like they have dug into and exposed soil that looks like caliche. Interesting geology being exposed as shown in photo.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
To me it does not look like caliche has been added, but it does look like they have dug into and exposed soil that looks like caliche. Interesting geology being exposed as shown in photo.
I doubt anything is being added so far. Just clearing of the area for whatever will be there.

So we have a beach worker's guess who told me it will be a parking lot and an insiders view stating a commercial plaza.
If not the new parking area, then it is still a mystery where the 300 space parking lot will be.

Could it not be both the parking lot and a commercial plaza? I am going with that as my best guess.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I think it is parking with an overhead bridge to the new Plaza Abinader wants to build acorns the street. A sterile place for the pink people from Minnesota and Toronto and the well-heeled Dominican political class and business elites who can enjoy chilled Heineken and Coors light in fancy glasses with shrimp cocktails and Angus beef kabobs all at prices out of reach for the serfs, but available now those who have saved for a yearly outing and bi-passed Punta Cana.
Or perhaps the will imbibe Moscow Mules or Dry Martinis mixed for the cellulite & varicose-vein-afflicted adorned in their budging beach attire, and slathered in Banana Boat and Ban de Soleil while dabbing the sweat from their brows underneath their wide-brimmed straw hats.
Music will be provided by the groups which at one time greeted arriving tourists at the escalator in Puerto Plata.
Friends back home will be excited to see the bland videos of their neighbors trip into that Dangerous Latin America.
And of course the scene will be repeated at their Marriot Hotel with its lovely breakwater beach, which will be refilled should a storm wash a few grains out to sea.

They can all take hundreds of selfies to go along with the airbrushed post cards gleaming at them in racks along an actual boardwalk.
Of course the area will be devoid of any of the real 'color' of the DR, and that is the plan. Only lacio cabello allowed.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
16 years of the do nothing PLD reign has come to an end. This video looks about like what I envisioned them doing. Sucks but most people understand the government is not investing millions of dollars to keep the status quo.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
The plan shown in the video is a nightmare and crime against nature and society.
Everyone living in Sosua and enjoying the beach should participate in all demonstrations against the destruction work.

Alexander
I have a feeling the Cruise ship Ports are partners , or behind this somehow .. Its a Monstrosity only THEY would think up and actually Build ... drop off the Cruisers in One spot , and get ALL their Money .. why share any of it with the current Vendors on the Beach .
Most of the Cruisers would probably be happy with just the VIEW , some fake Music like at the Airport as Chico Bill outlined before,
and some Drinks .. they love to just Sit and drink .
Think about it ... Also I think The Center of the beach , then would be their Area ( just in case these Fat Bodies want to actually dip their toes in the Water ) ,, . I think this is the Real Plan ... Follow the money .
The timing of this after all these years is just rather interesting .
That Video depiction smells like a daily Cruise Ship Stop . it does not FIT any other way , its just odd and out of place on its own ..
Sosua is quite NOT ready to be Punta Cana .. these Investors would be like 10 years ahead of their Time , and that's a big Risk .