New Member Introduction

Fiji

Jul 7, 2022
Canada
Thank you. I've been reading on here, and noted generator. I was just readijg the thread re portable power unit (Jackery) or the like.

- Anything specific I should bring from Canada?
- How long are power outages there?

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Hello, everybody. My name is Peter. I'm Canadian, and considering to spend a year in DR. I work from home on the internet. I hope to store my Canadian stuff here in Canada, and find a airbnb initially (or something similar) in DR before searching for a month-to-month apt. I'm considering Santo Domingo for initial stay, as I need reliable internet and power.

I would be grateful for any and all advice.
Peter,
Hopefully you meant the DN of SD. Some things come to mind here when you talk Santo Domingo: are you on foot? Do you habla? AirBnB is most likely your only shot of a rental in which case you can expect an avg 1500/month for a decent two bedroom with backup power and Internet. If no AirBnB, renting an apartment in dingo is next to impossible. You need what is called a fijador which is a very qualifying dominican local to co-sign. They will take an easy 3 months deposit as well for any standard joint. You generally need some history and definitely a few references. ( Tourist is not a job reference)

Idk what sort of remote work you do, but there are more user friendly places to easily rent an apartment, like Cabarete or Sosua, Puerto Plata. In those places, anyone can secure an apartment. Just beware you don't rent next to the local dealer.

Adding in renting with a passport is getting harder and harder as well.

Reactions: NotLurking and Fiji

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Hello, everybody. My name is Peter. I'm Canadian, and considering to spend a year in DR. I work from home on the internet. I hope to store my Canadian stuff here in Canada, and find a airbnb initially (or something similar) in DR before searching for a month-to-month apt. I'm considering Santo Domingo for initial stay, as I need reliable internet and power.

I would be grateful for any and all advice.
Just a suggestion but you might want to check Bella Vista in SD. They have a few apartment buildings that are very nice. I don't know how much and I don't know what they look like inside. But I went to a chiropractor there twice a week for about 3 months. The area is great. You can do Ubers or guaguas on Avenida 27 de Febrero to do any shopping you need to do. Don't know anything about the internet there either.

I live in Boca Chica (not recommended) and we have Altice for wifi. Your best bet is to find a location that you can verify has f/o connections.

Fiji

Jul 7, 2022
Canada
Peter,
Hopefully you meant the DN of SD. Some things come to mind here when you talk Santo Domingo: are you on foot? Do you habla? AirBnB is most likely your only shot of a rental in which case you can expect an avg 1500/month for a decent two bedroom with backup power and Internet. If no AirBnB, renting an apartment in dingo is next to impossible. You need what is called a fijador which is a very qualifying dominican local to co-sign. They will take an easy 3 months deposit as well for any standard joint. You generally need some history and definitely a few references. ( Tourist is not a job reference)

Idk what sort of remote work you do, but there are more user friendly places to easily rent an apartment, like Cabarete or Sosua, Puerto Plata. In those places, anyone can secure an apartment. Just beware you don't rent next to the local dealer.

Adding in renting with a passport is getting harder and harder as well.
thank you, Hijo.

- DN?

My remote work, is mostly webconference, next to no streaming, just looking at excels & word documents, while talking over the internet to others via MS Teams (audio streaming, I guess)

I thought SD because I might meet fellow professionals, plus my company has an office there (which I don't intend to use, but helpful if work PC / work phone dies). take some classes, good restos, that sort of thing. take a taxi to beach on weekends, or enjoy the city.

I've been in DR a few times before, drove around most of the time, even climbed Pico Duarte. I know everybody has their faves. Juan Dolio and its argentine resto is one place I want to re-visit.

Fiji

Jul 7, 2022
Canada
Just a suggestion but you might want to check Bella Vista in SD. They have a few apartment buildings that are very nice. I don't know how much and I don't know what they look like inside. But I went to a chiropractor there twice a week for about 3 months. The area is great. You can do Ubers or guaguas on Avenida 27 de Febrero to do any shopping you need to do. Don't know anything about the internet there either.

I live in Boca Chica (not recommended) and we have Altice for wifi. Your best bet is to find a location that you can verify has f/o connections.
thank you, Nan. I will check it out.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Hello,
Yes, I will follow your advice and won’t do anything until I see it physically, walk around, see the beach quality and amenities. Thank you.they

Hello,
Yes, I will follow your advice and won’t do anything until I see it physically, walk around, see the beach quality and amenities. Thank you.
they will tell you anything to sell you something here . even free trips to outer space in elon musk space X... Their word is not worth much here..

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
thank you, Nan. I will check it out.
Also check out Gazcue you might like the vibe. It's a good area with good fiber internet from Claro and stable power within reason, an inverter should be sufficient for the occasional couple of hours outage. I own an apartment there but live in Sto. Dgo. Este. Gazcue is a beautiful old neighborhood with almost everything you could need close by. You might be able to find a small studio for rent in Gazcue usually rented by students because of the proximity to Zone Universitaria. You'll be close to good hospitals and clinics and walking distance or short UBER ride to El Conde, Zone Colonial, Parque Independencia, Plaza de la Cultura, Malecón, etc.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I spent decades on the eastside myself. I also owned 5 properties over the years.

I used to know it like the back of my hand, but man, has it grown.

Same with the North Coast. I was in Sosua on Saturday and barely recognized it.

Fiji

Jul 7, 2022
Canada
Thank you, NotLurking. I have a hazy memory of it, leafy streets, I think...
Also check out Gazcue you might like the vibe. It's a good area with good fiber internet from Claro and stable power within reason, an inverter should be sufficient for the occasional couple of hours outage. I own an apartment there but live in Sto. Dgo. Este. Gazcue is a beautiful old neighborhood with almost everything you could need close by. You might be able to find a small studio for rent in Gazcue usually rented by students because of the proximity to Zone Universitaria. You'll be close to good hospitals and clinics and walking distance or short UBER ride to El Conde, Zone Colonial, Parque Independencia, Plaza de la Cultura, Malecón, etc.

Reactions: NotLurking

Fiji

Jul 7, 2022
Canada
Folks what do you think of the area south of the Zona Universitario? Good ? Bad? Neutral? I see AirBnBs there within budget and has planta... your thoughts?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Folks what do you think of the area south of the Zona Universitario? Good ? Bad? Neutral? I see AirBnBs there within budget and has planta... your thoughts?
I'm surprised there are any in that area. (because of the University)

Fiji

Jul 7, 2022
Canada
Folks, for those of you who live in Santo Domingo, would you consider Ensanche Julieta an OK neighbourhood?

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Folks, for those of you who live in Santo Domingo, would you consider Ensanche Julieta an OK neighbourhood?
It is a decent area. Problem is traffic especially with Winston Churchill. In the past I have shopped at the Bravo supermarket there.