Don’t bring ingredients for a sancocho to the USA

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Perros-Aduanas-Diario-Libre-1024x621.png

The US Embassy has alerted travelers not to travel with pork products to the United States. These are subject to fines and travel delays. The warning is made after the Swine Flu Outbreak in the Dominican Republic.

Read more in Spanish:Pigs don’t flyDiario LibreN Digital

14 July 2022

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
3 years ago my friend's mother got caught bringing sausage into JFK from D.R.
Cost her $300.00.
And the sausage.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
It's not as if pork products are hard to come by in the U.S.A.
I could see maybe trying to bring some yuca. That's something that not every market carries but...pork?

Reactions: JD Jones

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
It's not as if pork products are hard to come by in the U.S.A.
I could see maybe trying to bring some yuca. That's something that not every market carries but...pork?
Yes but it is not straight up raw pork they want to smuggle in, it's usually Chicharrón or Salami Induveca they want to carry as contraband.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I slipped thru customs once with a bowl of sancocho hidden in my stomach.
I've also watched customs a MIA international pull fruit out of people's luggage and toss it into a plastic bin.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
They were lucky. My niece had a mango in her luggage and her mother was fined $250. I can’t remember if it was JFK or PHL.
One time I was clearing customs...I cannot remember which airport...maybe ATL.

Cute dog sat down on my bag. And saw the officers trigger finger start twitching.
Thought to myself oh (insert inappropriate language of your choice here)
Threw my hands up and started scream that's not my bag...I never seen the bag in my life...someone gave me that bag and asked me to carry it for them...I swear...I thought for sure I was about beat down from the "we don't want you here" welcoming committee.
🤪

In all seriousness, dog sat down on my bag and the customs officer politely asked me to sit my bag down and then asked me if I could search it. I told them sure. Got nothing to hide.

Dey tore my bag up. Thew my stuff all over the place. Turned my bag upside down and dumped all of my personal items on the floor. It was quite the scene.

In all seriousness, they searched my bag and found nothing.
The officer said something to the effect of curious, she is usually very accurate.
I thought to myself...I bet dat bitch usually is...But I don't be riding dirty.

So both the officer and I pondered a bit. And then the light came on. I told the officer that when they announced we were on final. I remembered I had a banana in my bag so I ate it and and disposed of the peel. I told the officer that is probably what she is hitting on. So, as it turns out the bitch was extremely accurate.

Lesson learned...