Excavation on Hill in Sosúa

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
In his first speech in the parking lot El Presidente specifically said that beach access would remain open to the public,just sayin'.....If I can't walk the entire beach because some or most of it is blocked off in some way I don't care,I only need enough room for a chair,an umbrella and my fat a$$. Once I'm in the water it's all good I can swim wherever I want to,I swim that beach 3 or 4 times a week and will continue to do so.
Personally I’m happy for the changes most people I talk to are to also , be nice to have decent washroom facilities most of those shacks are closed and foreigners own , beach access will always be there even more after backhoe starts up.. :cool: the real question that know one asked yet is it free parking or how much is it going to costo_O

Reactions: bachata and Tom0910

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Agreed. Public beach is public beach.

There is an gov't office (assuming it still exists) that determines public beach access thru private land when someone is developing up against a 60 mtr setback. They look at everything and decide if a public access path is needed or not. It probably depends on current public use of that particular beach, proximity of other public beaches, other access points, etc. But then over passage of time, things get ignored, nobody challenges them, and a resort/hotel/condo will leave the path unmaintained and start denying access on the beach itself.

I'm guessing that doesn't happen at Sosua Beach. It's too popular of a beach. Although I do see public usage changing dramatically. Sundays ain't going to be what it used to be.
I've been to beaches all over this island.
I have never been denied access to a beach.
In fact, I can usually sit where I want.
Pesos help me do that.
Helps to know the rules and have the right mentality.
As a beach in the Dominican Republic (without getting into the biases of very well known list of detractors) Sosua beach leaves a lot to be desired. It would not me my first choice of a vacation spot. Improvements or no improvements.

Sosua has a lot more to offer than just the beach.
That is my point of attraction.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Has there been any restart of the work or is the Beach Association still blocking the work?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
(Yourmaninvegas ,you seem to be angry all of the time.)

For those of you who want to remember Sosua Beach like it was, please make a bookmark of this video since that is its explicit intent:

Reactions: fuchs4d

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
If somehow this winds up actually helping the day to day working people of Sosua...I gots no problem with the project.
But that is the big question...who is really going to benefit?
And that remains my question...
Where do you get that perception?
More importantly how does it relate to the Sosua Beach Renovation Project?
Actually my fine Rummie, I was referring to the Sosua project. I was also referring to your signature stamp, "Eastside!!", As in You, Mr PB.
I found your post to be a bit obtuse even passive aggressive.
But once again I am having trouble understanding how you and @windeguy think your personal thoughts about me are relevant to the Sosua Beach Renovation project. They do not seem to be relevant and on topic to me. But that is not for me to judge.

I have my opinions on the Sosua Beach Renovation project.

I am available via personal message here on DR1 if you wish to continue to share your personal thoughts about me as opposed to your opinions of the Sosua Beach Renovation project.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
Drove by yesterday (Friday) about 11:45 am, I did not see any work happening at the excavation site, nada
Drove by today (Saturday about 11 am and then at 2:30 pm) and not only was no work happening - but most of the equipment is gone as well.

• Wow
Reactions: cavok

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
If somehow this winds up actually helping the day to day working people of Sosua...I gots no problem with the project.
But that is the big question...who is really going to benefit?
I honestly believe this administration is more concerned about projecting a cleaner more sterile imagine of Sosua in order to appeal to a more affluent/ wealthier clientel than they are about helping the average Dominican on the North Coast improve their standard of living/quality of life... and I hope they prove me wrong.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I honestly believe this administration is more concerned about projecting a cleaner more sterile imagine of Sosua in order to appeal to a more affluent/ wealthier clientel than they are about helping the average Dominican on the North Coast improve their standard of living/quality of life... and I hope they prove me wrong.

I can't say what's in el Presidente's head or his motives, but you can have both. Helping to pave the way to bring in real paying jobs with real benefits, does improve standard of living/quality of life. Everybody wins in my book.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Drove by today (Saturday about 11 am and then at 2:30 pm) and not only was no work happening - but most of the equipment is gone as well.
From this point on, you'll probably never see equipment sitting there over the weekend. It'll get vandalized.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Understood.

And that is unfortunate. Because how I see it even if the "cleaner more sterile image of Sosua" is achieved it may lead to more jobs for regular people. But they are going to be service industry jobs. And those jobs do not pay well. The cash flow spent by the "more affluent/wealthier clientele" (and you know my word for those people but I will will not use in this case in order to foster civil discussion) will not flow into the pockets of the people, but will instead land in the bank accounts of the investors in the businesses these new clients frequent.

Now, don't get me wrong. I understand how things work at a microeconomic level. What I don't understand is why some posting up on this issue think this is such a great project (and you know who you are). I mean after all it has nothing to do with immigration.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
The danger is there are now no Roots to hold the dirt.. on this obviously very steep grade .
One does not have to be in Construction to understand this is a ticking time Bomb ..
First Heavy rain , they are in deep trouble .
Luckly haitian workers are familiar with that senario and will apply their expertise to the problem . Si O no? TIMBER!!!!

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Understood.

And that is unfortunate. Because how I see it even if the "cleaner more sterile image of Sosua" is achieved it may lead to more jobs for regular people. But they are going to be service industry jobs. And those jobs do not pay well. The cash flow spent by the "more affluent/wealthier clientele" (and you know my word for those people but I will will not use in this case in order to foster civil discussion) will not flow into the pockets of the people, but will instead land in the bank accounts of the investors in the businesses these new clients frequent.

Now, don't get me wrong. I understand how things work at a microeconomic level. What I don't understand is why some posting up on this issue think this is such a great project (and you know who you are). I mean after all it has nothing to do with immigration.
Agreed.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The so called sterile Sosua has been desired by the DR government for many years.
Anyone following developments and attempted developments in Sosua realizes this.
And that is what that is.

Let us see if work proceeds as well on other areas that were being blocked by the association this coming week, of if those members need some persuasion from government officials to get out of the way.