Planting Boxes

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
@quaqualita,
For no gardening experience that is a heck of an operation.
Beware...
Gardening gets in your blood.
Meanwhile you should be very proud of what you have accomplished to date.
I am intrigued by the spinach.
It couldn't look any healthier.
And those chives...wow.
Giants.
Mine are puny in comparison.

Stay green and garden on. 🥬
Thank you! And yes, like I said I started all from seeds just a bit over 5 weeks ago and every morning it's a joy and excitement to check the 'babies' and see what it new today, lol! The small bamboo stick I had for the spinach to climb up got too short, he got an old broom stick today! And for some reason - at least for now - all plants do not seem to mind the salty oceanfront air, maybe they love the ocean view as much as I do :) .
One possible hurdle I ran into today: A few of the tomato leaves (so far I found only 3 leaves on 2 plants) have white lines, looks like leave miners, I followed Google advise and sprayed the plants down with a hydrogen peroxide - water mixture (1:3) and will keep doing that every day for 1 week. Any other tips to get rid of this larvae?
292883084_10166468509425383_681547424807231711_n.jpg

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
There are a few apps in the google play store that does plant ID and diagnostics.

You take a picture of any plant and it will tell you what it is, if there is anything wrong with it, and what you can do to fix it.

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
There are a few apps in the google play store that does plant ID and diagnostics.

You take a picture of any plant and it will tell you what it is, if there is anything wrong with it, and what you can do to fix it.
Yep, thanks, I have such an app. For the above I simply took the photo and did a reverse image search and got the leave miners 'diagnostic'. Either Neem oil or h peroxide mixture was what most sites suggest, since I have the later at home, I'm trying this for now.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
I love passion fruit.
Up here in the great white north they are considered a tropical delicacy and as such they cost an arm and a leg.
Not one to be deterred, I searched out a market that sells them for half the price that my local supermarket does.
The flower of the passion fruit is gorgeous and I wondered if I might be able to grow the vine here.
Everything I have read says...yes.
As long as I protect it from the extreme cold of our winters by bringing it inside for the duration.
So it was all systems go.
I pulled some seeds from the gelatinous pulp and let them dry out for a few weeks.
It was recommended that I scrape the hard hull of the seed before soaking for 24 hours.
After that, on June 29th, I planted a couple in a small pot and anxiously awaited some action.
I had almost given up on them but then this morning I noticed a few (3) seedlings poking their way through the soil.
Yay.
I'll wait for a few days until they have a few real leaves and I'll post a snap.
Watch this space.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Prepare yourself, they grow like weeds. I had one planted in a pot that jumped to the cyclone fence around my property, and it wasn't long that I was having issues trying to give/throw away/eat/ juice.

• Haha
Aug 21, 2007
Prepare yourself, they grow like weeds. I had one planted in a pot that jumped to the cyclone fence around my property, and it wasn't long that I was having issues trying to give/throw away/eat/ juice.
I had one that was planted at the base of a caoba. It grew up and then completely covered the tree until it was completely out of control. At that point, I told the gardener to take it all down. When he did, the caoba underneath was dead. The chinola killed it. Don't tell medio ambiante!

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Yes.
I have read about their invasive properties.
I'm pretty sure that in the northern climate they won't get a chance to grow so out of control.
I'm not even sure that I'll get flowers. let alone that the flowers will bear fruit.
It's a little late in the season this year for any blooms from my seedlings but...we'll see.
Heck...I'm not even sure the seedlings will survive the next couple of days.
Fingers crossed.
Stay green and garden on.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I love passion fruit.
Up here in the great white north they are considered a tropical delicacy and as such they cost an arm and a leg.
Not one to be deterred, I searched out a market that sells them for half the price that my local supermarket does.
The flower of the passion fruit is gorgeous and I wondered if I might be able to grow the vine here.
Everything I have read says...yes.
As long as I protect it from the extreme cold of our winters by bringing it inside for the duration.
So it was all systems go.
I pulled some seeds from the gelatinous pulp and let them dry out for a few weeks.
It was recommended that I scrape the hard hull of the seed before soaking for 24 hours.
After that, on June 29th, I planted a couple in a small pot and anxiously awaited some action.
I had almost given up on them but then this morning I noticed a few (3) seedlings poking their way through the soil.
Yay.
I'll wait for a few days until they have a few real leaves and I'll post a snap.
Watch this space.
Exciting. If it doesn't happen lets see what the possible problems were and solve the quiz.

Reactions: flyinroom

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Exciting. If it doesn't happen lets see what the possible problems were and solve the quiz.

Hah.
I love it.
A fellow dr1 lap top cop.
A regular "what done it".
It's hard to tell if your comment was tongue-in-cheek or serious but either way it's right up my alley.
Humor and mystery.
What's not to love?
Anybody else here a fan of Rosemary and Thyme?
The British mystery show, not the herb.
I never miss an episode.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Hah.
I love it.
A fellow dr1 lap top cop.
A regular "what done it".
It's hard to tell if your comment was tongue-in-cheek or serious but either way it's right up my alley.
Humor and mystery.
What's not to love?
Anybody else here a fan of Rosemary and Thyme?
The British mystery show, not the herb.
I never miss an episode.
Only bc I am interested and want to learn. Cop? I have a lot better things to get done than being a cop of passion fruit. LOL. Like right now ,making my 10 am flight to SDQ, have a great day...

• Haha

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
So...
Back to the passion flower seedlings.
They have developed their first few true leaves and are coming along nicely.
lol.
Such a fuss.
I'm sure you were all dying to hear about their progress.
I just wish my bay laurel looked as vibrant and healthy.
Anybody hear from potus?
I wonder how his tomato plants are doing.

P7260028.JPG

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
P8160031.JPG

So...
Where I come from the end of the growing season is creeping up fast.
Some plants are in their glory and others are just limping along.
I had big time issues with my geraniums this year and I don't know why. They are usually so dependable.
The mint?
Forgeddaboutit.
But I digress.
I know that everybody is on the edge of their seat...
Wanting to see what is happening with my passionfruit vine.
So without further ado...
(I'm getting ready to transfer one of these little guys into a larger 12 inch pot.)
Now, if I could just my bay laurel to look so healthy I would be a happy gardener.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Cilantro?
Love it or hate it?
Hah.
One of the only applications where I can stomach it is in pico de gallo.
In order to satisfy some of my more gourmet friends, I have tried to grow the stuff in containers but have generally found the plant to be more than a little persnickety.
A couple of years ago I was introduced to vietnamese mint.
An excellent alternative and a very prolific grower...

P8170029.JPG

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Cilantro?
Love it or hate it?
Hah.
In order to satisfy some of my more gourmet friends, I have tried to grow the stuff in containers but have generally found the plant to be more than a little persnickety.
Love cilantro. I substitute it for parsley all the time. Have never heard of Vietnamese mint but would love to try. Also love pico de gallo. I think I'm the only one who eats it though.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I once substituted cilantro for parsley in my oil and garlic pasta sauce.
Big mistake for my tastes.
I did not like it at all.

Reactions: reilleyp

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Cilantro?
Love it or hate it?
Hah.

View attachment 6190
Was that started from seed?

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
I once substituted cilantro for parsley in my oil and garlic pasta sauce.
Big mistake for my tastes.
I did not like it at all.
Yeah.
That doesn't sound too appetizing.
Some people swear by it and others detest it.
The rap I hear so often is that it tastes like soap.
I don't get that but, there is definite taste I dislike. (a lot)
It's hard to explain...a sort of a flat sour taste.
I think it is what turned me off many sancochos in the D.R.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Some people swear by it and others detest it.
The rap I hear so often is that it tastes like soap.
I don't get that but, there is definite taste I dislike. (a lot)

I remember reading someplace that people who say that cilantro tastes like soap have a genetic basis for that.

Link here: