Ladies - What are your thoughts about living alone here ?

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
Ladies - its been on my mind lately. Expats, my husband is 8 yrs older than myself. We have lived in country for 9 yrs and are very happy here, we have cut most ties to the USA. My thoughts ? Is it safe to live here alone ?? what do I do to protect myself ? am I a target ? I have dogs and could always rescue more, Do I need a security guard at night ? I feel we live in a very safe neighborhood but ya never know.....I don't go out at night if I do its with friends for dinner.........Your thoughts ?????

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I think a lot is going to depend on where you live. For me, I am in Santo Domingo. Our building has security, etc... Now, when I go to our house in the campo (SFM area) we have the usual, high fence, cameras, etc... But everyone knows each other so, we look out for each other. I am careful even in the Capital. When out I watch my surroundings, etc... We are also very very careful about inviting people to our homes. We never discuss our comings and goings (trips) with anyone outside of very close family. Would I live alone at the house in the campo? I am not sure.

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
I feel safe and I live alone. In my neck of the woods, there is always police and private security guards around keeping a lookout, and I have never had a problem. My building has security. Now, I don't go into some of the big city barrios, and if I want to go out to the club at night, I prefer to go with a friend. But otherwise, 90% of my activities are done alone, and to be perfectly frank, I feel safer here than in North America.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
At night with bars and dogs and a shotgun I would sleep well. If you open your bars during the day, you lose that level of security. I would talk to an alarm company about some kind of panic button you carry on your body that would trigger a very loud air horn .I am supposing here that you have neighbors that could hear the air horn and respond. . Look into building a small studio type apartment to house caretakers. They don’t need guns, just cell phones to call for help. You will lose a level of privacy tho.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Sometime I wonder where my fellow board members live …that they need shotguns attack dogs security at every corner and safe room with moat around property…personally I would be more worried about the security guard spinning that shotgun as baton and shooting someone accidentally, but that’s me..

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I agree with every point made here . sometimes you never know.... I would live in a gated community .. Important things to remember is never discuss money or what you have with anyone play the roll that your broke . also don't go no where you don't belong.. and keep on point and you will be fine.

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
I agree with every point made here . sometimes you never know.... I would live in a gated community .. Important things to remember is never discuss money or what you have with anyone play the roll that your broke . also don't go no where you don't belong.. and keep on point and you will be fine.
I like it. Dress for the neighborhood and keep the mouth shut. For me, my boat looks like something from the beginning of 'Captain Ron'. It's all those really pretty expensive one that get robbed. I joke that most would probably leave money on mine.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Sometime I wonder where my fellow board members live
Santo Domingo este
…that they need shotguns attack dogs security at every corner and safe room with moat around property…
Better to have the protection and not need it.
Than to need it and not have it.
personally I would be more worried about the security guard spinning that shotgun as baton and shooting someone accidentally, but that’s me..
Handle it yourself.
That is what I do.
Come meet Mr. Mossberg.
Whenever you need a little help to resolve conflict.
He seems to be able to de-escalate every situation.
Smooth on the right, ready to fight.
Trigger is your ultimate safety.
In general I observe shotguns handled property by security here in the Dominican Republic

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Santo Domingo este

Better to have the protection and not need it.
Than to need it and not have it.

Handle it yourself.
That is what I do.
Come meet Mr. Mossberg.
Whenever you need a little help to resolve conflict.
He seems to be able to de-escalate every situation.
Smooth on the right, ready to fight.
Trigger is your ultimate safety.
In general I observe shotguns handled property by security here in the Dominican Republic
I’m sorry you have the issue and need of shotgun here… in over 25 yrs in the North Coast never hand the need or want…

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I’m sorry you have the issue and need of shotgun here…
There is no reason for you to be/feel sorry for me.
I live among real people.

Trained in the use of firearms.
And been a trainer of others in the use of firearms.
I am as comfortable with a side arm or long gun as you are without one.
in over 25 yrs in the North Coast never hand the need or want…
But please tell me where is this North Coast utopia completely free of violent crime in the Dominican Republic where you live❓

Because if you take a look at post #12 I am not the only one who feels a side arm is a useful tool to have.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Escopeta……. Sawed off shotgun is weapon of choice here
That's strange because it's probably a 9mm, not a shotgun. Escopeta is just shotgun btw, not necessarily sawed off.

Watchmen and other security use shotguns sure. The majority of dominican men carry pistols/handguns, not shotguns. Some keep shotguns at home, but a handgun is clearly the preferred firearm.

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
I can think of a couple of times that being armed would have changed things dramatically and for the better for me in the DR. ;)

Yet, I believe that I have learned how to not need or at least not feel the need to be armed most of the time. Unless you're straight up being robbed or otherwise approached/attacked there's virtually no need for the majority of us to carry concealed. All of that can mostly be avoided.
Now for home defense, I'm all for it. Shotgun(s), machetes, steel core doors/safe areas, extra phones/water/snacks in them, etc...walls, dogs, fences, bars, lights, alarms...all factor in, but again no real need for paranoia, just proper planning.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
There is no reason for you to be/feel sorry for me.
I live among real people.

Trained in the use of firearms.
And been a trainer of others in the use of firearms.
I am as comfortable with a side arm or long gun as you are without one.

But please tell me where is this North Coast utopia completely free of violent crime in the Dominican Republic where you live❓

Because if you take a look at post #12 I am not the only one who feels a side arm is a useful tool to have.
Just like I said I never had the need or want simple…not judging that you feel better about it just an opinion like yours …I feel safer here then in North America simple …

Reactions: Mariahboater

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That's strange because it's probably a 9mm, not a shotgun. Escopeta is just shotgun btw, not necessarily sawed off.

Watchmen and other security use shotguns sure. The majority of dominican men carry pistols/handguns, not shotguns. Some keep shotguns at home, but a handgun is clearly the preferred firearm.
My watchy had one.... I grew up with shotguns..... this was a shotgun, sawed off....not a 9mm

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Just like I said I never had the need or want simple…not judging that you feel better about it just an opinion like yours …I feel safer here then in North America simple …
I also feel safer here than in North America in general.
On that we have agreement.
Especially when dealing with the controlling legal authorities.
And after 25 years or longer I hope that I will be able to say I never had the need for one...

But for me it is better to have and not need than to need and not have.
Just saying