Ladies - What are your thoughts about living alone here ?

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016

Why Wasp Spray for Self-Defense Against Humans Won't Work: A Chemist Explains

07 12 2021

A recent attempted robbery was unsuccessful because of the robber's choice of weapon. The man attempted to steal food from a Safeway armed with a canister of Raid Wasp & Hornet Spray.

The only problem? Wasp spray isn't capable of incapacitating human beings. Store employees attempting to thwart the robbery were minimally affected by the spray.

The robber is nevertheless in significant legal trouble due to the fine print on the canister stating that the spray is "extremely flammable" and "hazardous to humans and domestic animals." He is being charged with first-degree robbery as opposed to a misdemeanor.

If you think wasp and hornet spray for self-defense is a workable alternative to other methods, think again. Be safe: pepper spray and other accepted methods of self-defense are far more reliable.

Self-Defense Facts

So, why doesn't wasp spray work against humans? We talked to our Nicole Robbins, SABRE Quality Assurance & Safety Manager, for an explanation. Here's what she said:

"The amount of active ingredients in the spray (according to the label) are 0.04% to 0.06%; the compound is typically 'pyrethrin or pyrethroids, which come from a species of chrysanthemum plant,' explains Extension.org. This active ingredient is meant to disrupt a wasp's nervous system.

"On the other hand, human pepper sprays target a human's eyes and respiratory system. Think of the biology and size differences between wasps and humans!"

"Independent testing concludes that wasp spray is 'minimally' irritating to human eyes, so how could it be expected to incapacitate a goal-oriented attacker?"

Designed specifically for use on humans, pepper spray causes: involuntary eye closure; swelling of the mucous membranes of the eyes, nose and throat and nasal and sinus discharge. It also causes coughing, shortness of breath and drying of the eyes as well as painful burning of the skin, hyperventilation and psychological effects such as fear, anxiety and panic.

Watch the video for a demonstration, and see how wasp spray is not capable of stopping a goal-oriented human:

Accidentally sprayed wasp spray indoors would be a hassle, but it should not cause any immediate problems for humans. Of course, you should make sure to provide proper ventilation to get rid of the wasp spray as soon as possible.
Effective Self-Defense Against Humans

Instead of wasp and hornet spray for self-defense, trust tested and trustworthy products. SABRE produces the #1 pepper spray that's trusted by law enforcement and consumers around the world.

Available in various formulas and models, including extremely compact units, our pepper spray is specially formulated in our liquid chromatography lab to guarantee maximum stopping power.

Choose from compact pepper spray with clip, tactical pepper gel with belt holster and pepper spray key rings or pepper spray with adjustable hand straps. We also carry lipstick pepper spray, pen pepper spray and other innovative models that are compact, discreet and maximum-strength for self-defense.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Amazon has many, many excellent options for Pepper spray. I say that's the way to go.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Pepper spray only works on people who quit.

As part of my training for a job in my youth, I have been hit by pepper spray.
And as part of my training I had to keep going and fight back.

Was not pleasant.
But it can be done.

In fact, if I found myself n the middle of an unpleasant situation that required conflict resolution in physical manor, this old man would not quit if hit by it today.
Because I know what to expect.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Pepper spray only works on people who quit.

As part of my training for a job in my youth, I have been hit by pepper spray.
And as part of my training I had to keep going and fight back.

Was not pleasant.
But it can be done.

In fact, if I found myself n the middle of an unpleasant situation that required conflict resolution in physical manor, this old man would not quit if hit by it today.
Because I know what to expect.
Interesting. But you knew it was coming and you could at least mentally prepare yourself for it. That can help some. I know when I got hit with mustard gas in USMC bootcamp I was mentally prepared and that didn't do squat. I coughed up 2 or 3 lungs during that fun experience.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I have lived alone in Santo Domingo for 16 years and now in Santo Domingo Este for 5 years. 16 in the Colonial Zone. Never lived in a place with security. Now I live in Santo Domingo Este. Los Molinos near La Francia in Villa Duarte. I have 2 medium- large dogs that stay inside my apartment and they are usually with me all the time. My neighbors have security cams out but not sure how they work. I don't go out walking at night. If I need to go out of my area I take a public car, taxi or motoconcho. I walk my dogs 2xs a day, sometimes close others to all the barrios where people tell me not to walk. I say hi to everyone. Talk to most people even the bad guys of the barrio. I have not had any problems, thank goodness, other that a few aggressive dogs. But always carry treats for them.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Interesting. But you knew it was coming and you could at least mentally prepare yourself for it. That can help some. I know when I got hit with mustard gas in USMC bootcamp I was mentally prepared and that didn't do squat. I coughed up 2 or 3 lungs during that fun experience.
As part of an another training experience we had to go into a room full of tear gas.
You had to take your mask off. Clear it and put it back on. Show that you are ok.
Then you had to take your mask off and breathe in.
After that you had to answer three questions:
First question: What is your name?

That tear gas hit me and I forgot who I was. I am completely serious. They asked me my name again and I could not answer.
The instructors started laughing at me. Son don forgot who he is. And I had. I could not remember my name for the life of me.
They were asking me if I was ok. Do you need medical assistance? I waved them off as fear began to overcome me as I still could not remember my name and I was afraid of failing the test.

Finally, I got my wits about me and remembered who I was and I could answer the question and the other two.
I ran out of the room, coughing and spitting up mucus, while listening to the instructors laughing in the background saying: "That one over there he forgot who he was in there".

Talk about a humbling experience...
So yeah brother...I get that.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Robert used to talk about herding cats. I guess we have some felines on this thread.

• Haha
Reactions: drstock

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Ladies - its been on my mind lately. Expats, my husband is 8 yrs older than myself. We have lived in country for 9 yrs and are very happy here, we have cut most ties to the USA. My thoughts ? Is it safe to live here alone ?? what do I do to protect myself ? am I a target ? I have dogs and could always rescue more, Do I need a security guard at night ? I feel we live in a very safe neighborhood but ya never know.....I don't go out at night if I do its with friends for dinner.........Your thoughts ?????
You live here with your husband but ask about "living alone".
You say your husband is 9 years older but not giving any age reference or any relevant circumstances regarding your questions.
You have been here 9 years, with your husband (??) and now have questions?
You do go out at night with friends. Is your husband with you? Do they pick you up and take you home and make sure you are inside and safe?

The years past are filled with both single and married xpats that have been taken for money and even murdered. Motive varies but usually the xpat gets too comfortable and it does not end well.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Well on that note...
Considering that both men and women expats seem to be getting killed right and left
Maybe the real danger is living along not gender.
It is really hard to make a statistical quantification of the danger.
What is the mental toll of leaving a place that you call home if you can not really identify the actual danger?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You say your husband is 9 years older but not giving any age reference or any relevant circumstances regarding your questions.
You do go out at night with friends. Is your husband with you? Do they pick you up and take you home and make sure you are inside and safe?

The years past are filled with both single and married xpats that have been taken for money and even murdered. Motive varies but usually the xpat gets too comfortable and it does not end well.
I think it is rather obvious she is thinking her husband will pass before her, leaving her as a woman alone.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I think it is rather obvious she is thinking her husband will pass before her, leaving her as a woman alone.
Thanks Bob for the clarification. for and elder women I would prefer and gated community . problem is everyday there is going to be some dirt bag testing her..

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
As part of an another training experience we had to go into a room full of tear gas.
You had to take your mask off. Clear it and put it back on. Show that you are ok.
Then you had to take your mask off and breathe in.
After that you had to answer three questions:
First question: What is your name?

That tear gas hit me and I forgot who I was. I am completely serious. They asked me my name again and I could not answer.
The instructors started laughing at me. Son don forgot who he is. And I had. I could not remember my name for the life of me.
They were asking me if I was ok. Do you need medical assistance? I waved them off as fear began to overcome me as I still could not remember my name and I was afraid of failing the test.

Finally, I got my wits about me and remembered who I was and I could answer the question and the other two.
I ran out of the room, coughing and spitting up mucus, while listening to the instructors laughing in the background saying: "That one over there he forgot who he was in there".

Talk about a humbling experience...
So yeah brother...I get that.
I remember that experience also. If you had to share masks .... be first in line!

• Haha
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You guys are wandering off topic again.
1659019381947.png

Reactions: jfk-tampa
Aug 21, 2007
Sixteen years ago when I first moved here and lived in Perla Marina my husband was still working in the US. Thus I was alone. I vividly remember some nights waking to the sound of gunfire. I learned to listen to hear if the shots were approaching or headed away from my house. Now, Perla Marina seems safer, although I don't live there.

Currently, in Jamao, I am often alone as two nights each week my husband sleeps in our Sosua condo so he can go play golf the next day. I have 4 dogs. Two small ones, One sweet boxer, and a street dog that must live in a kennel during the days. I have security cameras and signage stating that my property is protected by camera and attack dogs. Cough. Cough. I have a chain link fence around my property, not a wall. And I have a wachyman who truly is good in name only. He sits and plays games on his phone all night (when he isn't sleeping.)

No bars on windows or doors. The nearest neighbor down the road, but not within hearing distance if I scream.

I have phone numbers of 3 trusted friends who would come anytime day or night if I need help. They live in Jamao.

I feel 100% safe, although Dominicans are always worried about my safety. They do not worry about locals from Jamao, but others passing through who can see my house on the hill. (Robbers from Moca sometimes frequent Jamao.)

I do not go out at night. I am extremely careful who I allow on my property and into my house. I will meet most visitors at my gate and talk to them and handle business from there.

I lived in Africa alone for 5 years, so I tell myself that I know how to live alone in other cultures.

Having said all that, I always know that random (and sometimes not so random) things happen. And if I am robbed or attacked, I accept it. I will protect myself the best I can, but I refuse to live in fear.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017

yep too comfortable ...

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Sixteen years ago when I first moved here and lived in Perla Marina my husband was still working in the US. Thus I was alone. I vividly remember some nights waking to the sound of gunfire. I learned to listen to hear if the shots were approaching or headed away from my house. Now, Perla Marina seems safer, although I don't live there.

Currently, in Jamao, I am often alone as two nights each week my husband sleeps in our Sosua condo so he can go play golf the next day. I have 4 dogs. Two small ones, One sweet boxer, and a street dog that must live in a kennel during the days. I have security cameras and signage stating that my property is protected by camera and attack dogs. Cough. Cough. I have a chain link fence around my property, not a wall. And I have a wachyman who truly is good in name only. He sits and plays games on his phone all night (when he isn't sleeping.)

No bars on windows or doors. The nearest neighbor down the road, but not within hearing distance if I scream.

I have phone numbers of 3 trusted friends who would come anytime day or night if I need help. They live in Jamao.

I feel 100% safe, although Dominicans are always worried about my safety. They do not worry about locals from Jamao, but others passing through who can see my house on the hill. (Robbers from Moca sometimes frequent Jamao.)

I do not go out at night. I am extremely careful who I allow on my property and into my house. I will meet most visitors at my gate and talk to them and handle business from there.

I lived in Africa alone for 5 years, so I tell myself that I know how to live alone in other cultures.

Having said all that, I always know that random (and sometimes not so random) things happen. And if I am robbed or attacked, I accept it. I will protect myself the best I can, but I refuse to live in fear.

Reading this just makes me feel exhausted because in reality Lindsey has provided a list of all the things she has had to think about to live where she lives without fear. I live in a residential with about 200 apartments. It never ever occurs to me that anyone is going to break in as there are about 20 security guards on duty all night, cameras everywhere. Police outside, military guys just around the corner. Floodlights everywhere at night, lit up like a Christmas tree. No need for dogs, no need to pay a watchy, you can go away for weeks and weeks and know your apartment is secure. I buzz around in Uber, the security guards watch me get in and watch me get out, no chance of anyone attacking. My point is that I know some people live their dream in a secluded house in the country but security genuinely is a "thing" there. If you can stand living a metropolitan lifestyle in the city, then security really isn't a thing. I'd certainly recommend it for other ladies.