Hotels & Resorts Limiting Dominicans Reservations

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I don't think that's true. I went to the website and went to book a room for 2 and it was actually a bit lower than what Sky quoted. For me, it's worth a shot at least once.
That would be a first then. Anytime I've ever seen a price quoted for an AI, it's always been per person.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
Next time try this place. How is 5300 rd for a double room AI on the beach? And a very nice hotel.............

That is a nice budget choice. It isn't like the other larger AIs. It's also one where, if you want to, you can leave on foot and walk around.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
That would be a first then. Anytime I've ever seen a price quoted for an AI, it's always been per person.
  • Economy Room
  • Economy Room
  • Economy Room
  • Economy Room
1 of 5
22 m²

Economy Room​

2 adults
Basic double room. Features: telephone (pay-per-use), complimentary WiFi, TV, balcony or terrace without views, air conditioning, ceiling...

Exclusive official website offer! -10%​

• Best rate guarantee
Non refundable

All Inclusive
DOP 5,383.13DOP 4,844.77

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The price is for TWO people in a double room.........................
Well, that is a pretty phenomenal deal then. In that case, I wouldn't expect much for the quality of the food or the booze. For many of those AI's, the difference in price doesn't reflect the quality of the resort itself so much as it does the quality of the food and booze you're getting.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Well, that is a pretty phenomenal deal then. In that case, I wouldn't expect much for the quality of the food or the booze. For many of those AI's, the difference in price doesn't reflect the quality of the resort itself so much as it does the quality of the food and booze you're getting.
Here is where you are wrong again. Some of the smaller hotels have just as good food and drinks as the larger more expensive ones. I could give a few good examples if I was not involved...............

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
Here is where you are wrong again. Some of the smaller hotels have just as good food and drinks as the larger more expensive ones. I could give a few good examples if I was not involved...............
Regarding the buffets? The larger difference is the resorts with the restaurants, they will have
-American Steakhouse
-Brazilian Steakhouse
-E. Asian Restaurant
-Japanese Grill thing
-Indian
-Italian
Some lineup like this.

There are multiple restaurants near Whala though.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The key word there is "some". Nowhere did I say "all" and neither was I talking about the size of the resort. There are smaller resorts that are very pricey and you can expect to be eating filet mignon, lobster, shrimp, and drinking top-shelf liqour.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Certainly the AI model works........as the tourist numbers certainly reflect that success.

My AI of choice in PC is the Hyatt Ziva.

That having been said, my go to spot for a non-AI experience, and my first preference in PC, is Tortuga Bay.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Clearly 80% are the middle America segment who are constrained by $$ and most always return home from their "group" AI vacation with a token case of e-coli, salmonella or dysentery. That said, for a fortunate few, there are AIs where you truly are treated like royalty and may chose to dine in a Michelin-starred restaurant, while the rest drink bar-brand long island iced teas and go back for seconds and thirds at the cold burger and fried chicken buffet.

DCP

Jul 29, 2022
San Salvador
At that price, I don't think that you can go wrong !! Great location and probably decent enough food for breakfast and lunch, maybe you want to eat out for dinner.

Jan 9, 2004
Clearly 80% are the middle America segment who are constrained by $$ and most always return home from their "group" AI vacation with a token case of e-coli, salmonella or dysentery. That said, for a fortunate few, there are AIs where you truly are treated like royalty and may chose to dine in a Michelin-starred restaurant, while the rest drink bar-brand long island iced teas and go back for seconds and thirds at the cold burger and fried chicken buffet.
There is an AI for almost every budget. The problem, if you will, is people tend to shop price only............and are then disappointed that certain AI's do not have the selections, whether it be food, alcohol, amenities or services etc............that they thought they were getting for less than they would have to pay at a Motel 6 in the US.

Trip Advisor is rife with those sorts of complaints...........and no one is perfect...................but you tend to get what you pay for.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

DCP

Jul 29, 2022
San Salvador
There is an AI for almost every budget. The problem, if you will, is people tend to shop price only............and are then disappointed that certain AI's do not have the selections, whether it be food, alcohol, amenities or services etc............that they thought they were getting for less than they would have to pay at a Motel 6 in the US.

Trip Advisor is rife with those sorts of complaints...........and no one is perfect...................but you tend to get what you pay for.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Exactly, at those rates La Quinta is aspirational. If you only get a breakfast, some snacks and a couple of drinks out of the deal its is phenomenal value

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I had a Dominican friend who went to Whala! Bavaro and he said it was absolutely atrocious. The food was the type of food you get in the barrio, the rooms were like prison cells, all the drinks tasted like water and you had to wait in line to get one. He is not upmarket at all, he's military and I was quite surprised at how much he hated it.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
I had a Dominican friend who went to Whala! Bavaro and he said it was absolutely atrocious. The food was the type of food you get in the barrio, the rooms were like prison cells, all the drinks tasted like water and you had to wait in line to get one. He is not upmarket at all, he's military and I was quite surprised at how much he hated it.
Better then to get a rental from airbnb or vrbo in that area, and get food from the supermarket. There is a lot of good rental product in the area if the big AI is not your cup of tea.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Unless it's changed from when I was there, if you want to be on the beach for vacation, I think you're pretty much limited to being in an AI(?).