Eden Norte bill

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Not sure, but I keep it as full as possible so it hardly runs. I do that by filling it with bottles of water, then take them out as needed to replace with whatever I'm going to store.
The fuller you keep any refrigeration device, the more efficient it is.
I did not know that. I figured it has to do work for one item to reach say, 40degrees F. Now if there are 20 items that's a lot of work.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
3/4 full is apparently the sweet spot, per the Goldilocks Effect, says my best googling.
Correct. It needs to have air to circulate.

If you have an empty refrigerator and let it run until it stops, it's full of cold air. The moment you open the door, most of the cold air "falls out" and is replaced by warm air, so it has to run an extended amount of time to cool the air again.
When it's full, opening the door has a minimal effect on the temperature since everything acts like a cold "sink" and it only has to run a short period of time to cool off the little bit of air that entered.

In a 30 day period, it can have a substantial effect on your electric bill.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
How many kWh does reefer consume
1659222945928.png

• Haha
Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I've been looking at inverter refrigerators lately and the efficiency labels on them are somewhat hard to believe. A couple I looked at were around 400kWh/year. Even at 10 pesos/kWh, that's only 4000/year, or a little over 300 ;pesos/mo. Sounds incredibly cheap to me.

Reactions: XTraveller

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I've been looking at inverter refrigerators lately and the efficiency labels on them are somewhat hard to believe. A couple I looked at were around 400kWh/year. Even at 10 pesos/kWh, that's only 4000/year, or a little over 300 ;pesos/mo. Sounds incredibly cheap to me.
Well I had an 18000 BTU air inverter and I ran that bad boy. My electric never climbed more than 4 to 5k. I have no experience with fridge inverters.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Well I had an 18000 BTU air inverter and I ran that bad boy. My electric never climbed more than 4 to 5k. I have no experience with fridge inverters.
Don't ever let them change that meter! A friend of mine has an 18K BTU unit in his living room and his bill goes over 20K pesos/mo when he's here in the summer. He does like it cold, but still...............

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Remember I was talking about my consumption the other day?

My house lady had adjusted my A/C down from 78 to 77 degrees. As minor as it may seem, that one degree difference made a daily 1 Kva difference in my bill (30Kva monthly).

Add the stereo being turned on without me knowing about it was another kick in the butt. (A stereo uses as much electricity as a refrigerator)

I was flirting with going over 200Kva a month, that was enough to put me into a higher rate which kicked my bill up almost double.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Remember I was talking about my consumption the other day?

My house lady had adjusted my A/C down from 78 to 77 degrees. As minor as it may seem, that one degree difference made a daily 1 Kva difference in my bill (30Kva monthly).

Add the stereo being turned on without me knowing about it was another kick in the butt. (A stereo uses as much electricity as a refrigerator)

I was flirting with going over 200Kva a month, that was enough to put me into a higher rate which kicked my bill up almost double.
Its a percentage increase i thought not a fixed window

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
You pay 6.59 per Kva up to 200. Go past 200, and you pay 9.36 up to 300, then 13.87 up to 400.

This is my daily consumption report:

edesur.jpg

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
I recently bought one and that's about what I calculate. The older refrigerator was smaller and consume around double that. Oncourse also newer better insulate but invertor technologic is great. The compressor does not go off and on with demand but rather slows down or accelerate on demand. The start cycle of any compressor or motor is the big energy consumer. Same for AC.

Reactions: cavok

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
There is highway robbery going on at Eden Norte. Maybe something is up with her specific meter. They have Heulgas in the street in Bonao where she lives ove the luz bills. An 11,000 bill for small 2 bedroom apt is too much and I told her I am not paying for it so the last few days she has turned off the A/C. I think this is a country wide problem. My last 3 trips there were to Juan Dolio we have stayed in different Airbnbs and they all charge separately for the Luz because the A/C is so expensive, almost 500 pesos daily with the A/C on half the day.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I recently bought one and that's about what I calculate. The older refrigerator was smaller and consume around double that. Oncourse also newer better insulate but invertor technologic is great. The compressor does not go off and on with demand but rather slows down or accelerate on demand. The start cycle of any compressor or motor is the big energy consumer. Same for AC.
I've been looking at them as well, but let's face it, how much am I going to spend, and how much am I going to save with a $1800 electric bill?

Mine is only 13 yrs old, works fine, and doesn't consume much at all. And at my age.....

Doesn't make sense for me unless the old one dies.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Mine is only 13 yrs old, works fine, and doesn't consume much at all. And at my age.....
You just reminded me of my father. He used to say he didn’t buy green bananas 🤣

You know we bought an inverter refrigerator, if we needed anything else we’d go with inverter again. Not only to save electricity (we’re currently on a fixed contract anyway) but because the technology protects the appliances from electricity spikes. Right?

Reactions: JD Jones and PJT

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
You just reminded me of my father. He used to say he didn’t buy green bananas 🤣

You know we bought an inverter refrigerator, if we needed anything else we’d go with inverter again. Not only to save electricity (we’re currently on a fixed contract anyway) but because the technology protects the appliances from electricity spikes. Right?
Do you know what chains offer Inverter refrigerators for sale?

Regards,

PJT

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Honestly, I think most retail furniture stores and large stores have them.