Senate passes the Pro-Pedernales Trust

Jan 9, 2004
From the Southwest;

Work is moving quite briskly at the soon to be newest cruise port in the DR……Cabo Rojo.

Bids for the right to build the first hotel have been submitted and are being reviewed.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
From the Southwest;

Work is moving quite briskly at the soon to be newest cruise port in the DR……Cabo Rojo.

Bids for the right to build the first hotel have been submitted and are being reviewed.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Hahaha. Still the closest International airport that is open is SDQ...................

Jan 9, 2004
Hahaha. Still the closest International airport that is open is SDQ...................
BRX is open;

Maria Montez Airport in Barahona is open and has runway capacity to handle commercial aircraft.

Respectfully.
Playacaribe2

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
BRX is open;

Maria Montez Airport in Barahona is open and has runway capacity to handle commercial aircraft.

Respectfully.
Playacaribe2

María Montez International Airport (BRX)

https://www.godominicanrepublic.com › poi › barahona

María Montez International Airport (BRX) is located at the entrance of Barahona city in the southwest. At present, it receives mainly domestic flights. This to compete with PUJ. You have to be joking...............

Montez airport bARAHONA from www.godominicanrepublic.com

• Love
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
"The Boeing 737-900 which requires a landing length of 6,800 feet under wet conditions and a takeoff length of 9,700 feet under maximum takeoff weight."

What is the length of the runway at BRX?
9843 ft

Sign me up 🤪

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
5 months ago
Nice little airport in Barahona. I landed here on a cessna flight from santo domingo.Small not busy airport, closed on weekends, and closes around 5pm weekdays, but still operational. There is a security check once you land also (i was checked twice for 1 flight). And no public phones, my pilot called a cab for me.
Sounds great. Closed WEEKENDS AND CLOSES AT 5pm weekdays.............................

Jan 9, 2004
5 months ago
Nice little airport in Barahona. I landed here on a cessna flight from santo domingo.Small not busy airport, closed on weekends, and closes around 5pm weekdays, but still operational. There is a security check once you land also (i was checked twice for 1 flight). And no public phones, my pilot called a cab for me.
Sounds great. Closed WEEKENDS AND CLOSES AT 5pm weekdays.............................
Same runway length as Samana and only a couple hundred feet length difference from POP. Both can handle sufficient international traffic without problem.

Once they upgrade their ILS..............they will do just fine.

They are focusing on the cruise port as the easiest/fastest to complete..........and are looking for completion by the end of 2023.

Karisma hotels have what I understand is the inside track to build the first hotel.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: JD Jones

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The driving distance between Pedernales to Santa Cruz de Barahona is 123 km. It takes approximately 2h 3m to drive from Pedernales to Santa Cruz de Barahona. On one of the most dangerous roads in the DR..............

And the airport is BEFORE Barahona. So over 2 hours to Pedernales from the airport that is now closed Weekends and 5PM Weekdays. What could go wrong......................

Jan 9, 2004
The driving distance between Pedernales to Santa Cruz de Barahona is 123 km. It takes approximately 2h 3m to drive from Pedernales to Santa Cruz de Barahona. On one of the most dangerous roads in the DR..............

And the airport is BEFORE Barahona. So over 2 hours to Pedernales from the airport that is now closed Weekends and 5PM Weekdays. What could go wrong......................
All the more reason for the government to build a new highway.

But first they will try to bring in the Cruise Lines............

And the airport is not closed as in you cannot land...........it just becomes an uncontrolled airport at those times......requiring pilots to communicate their intentions to other aircraft traffic that may be in the vicinity..........

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: JD Jones

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
International traffic⁉️
Going to where?
That is the real determination...
What is the MTOW of the aircraft in question?
That going to depend on a lot of things...but one of the most important is how far do we have to fly.
How much fuel do we have to take on?
More distance, more fuel, more reserve.
That is the real limit/or importance of runway length.
BRX can take a 737-900, it can fly internationally (Canada)
And still you have 2+ ride ahead of you after you arrive.
Gotta want that AI vacation pretty bad I say...

Jan 9, 2004
As I am told, Cabo Rojo will be a unique and distinct experience from Punta Cana. They witnessed what happened to the north coast when they just did a copy and paste to PC.

Cabo Rojo will be marketed to and more of an attraction for the eco-tourist..............much like many of the offerings in Costa Rica.

A vast majority of the land in the area is considered protected. Hotels will be constructed with more environmentally sustainable materials and will not be allowed to be built less than 200 meters from mean high tide.

It is a totally different concept..............at least that is the current plan.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: AlaPlaya

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
As I am told, Cabo Rojo will be a unique and distinct experience from Punta Cana. They witnessed what happened to the north coast when they just did a copy and paste to PC.

Cabo Rojo will be marketed to and more of an attraction for the eco-tourist..............much like many of the offerings in Costa Rica.

A vast majority of the land in the area is considered protected. Hotels will be constructed with more environmentally sustainable materials and will not be allowed to be built less than 200 meters from mean high tide.

It is a totally different concept..............at least that is the current plan.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
There is a plan ???

Reactions: SKY

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Some company also one time went ahead and invested in the Luperon Resort.
The Luperon Beach Resort was popular for years until the long arduous drive over a narrow dangerous road from POP airport was partially responsible for its demise. That and poor management by the last owners. Tourists that stayed at the resort liked the amenities the resort provided and easy access to Luperon, a safe relaxed campo town.

If an airport is actually built to service new resorts in the Pedernales area, resort owners may invest there but it will never be the scale of Punta Cana.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
International traffic⁉️
Going to where?
That is the real determination...
What is the MTOW of the aircraft in question?
That going to depend on a lot of things...but one of the most important is how far do we have to fly.
How much fuel do we have to take on?
More distance, more fuel, more reserve.
That is the real limit/or importance of runway length.
BRX can take a 737-900, it can fly internationally (Canada)
And still you have 2+ ride ahead of you after you arrive.
Gotta want that AI vacation pretty bad I say...
After the final runway extension is complete at Gregorio Luperon Airport, they will be able to accommodate the new class of Boeing and Airbus single aisle, large passenger volume, fuel efficient aircraft. The airport will compete with SDQ and PUJ for long distance international tourist traffic from Europe and the UK. 737 tourist flights are pretty much limited to the North America-Caribbean flight routes unless they are the extended range 737’s. Baharona will have to compete with POP, SDQ, and PUJ for tourist flights.