President Abinader announces new courses for better police

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Luis-Abinader-cursos-Policia-Nacional-MIP-1024x640.png

The government is betting on the better education of current and future police to improve citizen security in the Dominican Republic. In an event to launch the National Police Education Reform Strategy held on 1 August 2022, President Luis Abinader and Interior & Police Minister Jesus Vasquez announced new training plans. The plans include free education for police, their spouses and children at 52 higher learning institutions. Former rector of the state university, Roberto Santana was named the coordinator for the education improvement programs.

The six-year plan calls for a restructuring plan over the first 18 months assessment period to prepare the proposals for the comprehensive changes at the Police Education Institute and to prepare the new police that are now being recruited. The plan calls for all 35,000 police of all ranks to take three-month courses...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I'd love to see something a little bit more accelerated but I'll take what we can get.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
1. Recruitment of people with the right mentality to be a police officer
2. Professional training
3. Cutting edge equipment
4. Support from the people for good policing
5. Pay

In my opinion, those are the 5 keys items that must be in place for a comprehensive improvement of law enforcement here in the 🇩🇴 .

If asked I will serve Señor Presidente.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
All for naught. As long as corruption is embedded deeply in politics, business, the courts, and current police enforcement, the proposed new plan to train and select better candidates is just pissing against the cultural winds.

If a basic quality school education is not important to most young Dominicans and the Dominican government, for that matter, why would educating them later on in life have any degree of success? The bottom line is ethical behaviour and good morals are not taught later on in life. They are instilled in children at an early age by good parents, good societal values, and reinforced by a quality education.

Bad habits are notoriously hard to break. Once the old police guard passes, it might be possible to revamp the police force from the ground up. They won’t relinquish their corrupt ways easily and low salaries are a continuing incentive for the lower ranks, both current and future, to maintain the status quo.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I completely reject the idea that parents solely determine the man.
I give my parents a lot of credit for who I am.
But it was day to day life, after I left their home, and attending the "school of hard knocks" that developed me into the man that I am today.

The only way evil can prevail is for good men to do nothing.

And I for one have seen a dramatic change in enforcement on the street level here in the 🇩🇴
And although my bad encounters have far exceeded my good ones, I have seen improvement.
And I speak to this issue having been on both sides of the system involving the current controlling legal authorities.

Not every police officer is corrupt
Not every politician is corrupt
Nor every business is corrupt
Nor is everyone in the court system corrupt.

If education is so important why are so many of the richest people in the world college dropouts?
The confidence to be able to handle yourself on the street is very important for a police officer to have in order to do their job well.
The only way to do that is to teach in class then follow it up with training by an experienced officer on the street.
You have to start somewhere.
The measurement is not some standard by someone who comes from another country.
The standard is going to be set that the people that are policed her in the 🇩🇴

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I completely reject the idea that parents solely determine the man.
I give my parents a lot of credit for who I am.
But it was day to day life, after I left their home, and attending the "school of hard knocks" that developed me into the man that I am today.

The only way evil can prevail is for good men to do nothing.

And I for one have seen a dramatic change in enforcement on the street level here in the 🇩🇴
And although my bad encounters have far exceeded my good ones, I have seen improvement.
And I speak to this issue having been on both sides of the system involving the current controlling legal authorities.

Not every police officer is corrupt
Not every politician is corrupt
Nor every business is corrupt
Nor is everyone in the court system corrupt.

If education is so important why are so many of the richest people in the world college dropouts?
The confidence to be able to handle yourself on the street is very important for a police officer to have in order to do their job well.
The only way to do that is to teach in class then follow it up with training by an experienced officer on the street.
You have to start somewhere.
The measurement is not some standard by someone who comes from another country.
The standard is going to be set that the people that are policed her in the 🇩🇴
I agree with most of what you say amigo. Some men know what they want and have the innate ability to achieve success regardless of their education level, without guidance from anyone. They have their own set of ethics and moral compass but they tend to be the exception, not the rule. I witnessed that growing up. My father was a successful businessman who didn’t complete high school.

What we’re talking about in this thread is men in uniform entrusted with protecting peoples lives. Men we normally hold to a higher standard. While many aren’t involved In large scale corruption, some of the rank and file use petty corruption to supplement their meagre salaries. A good basic education, proper training, and mentoring by senior officers with a sense of duty and pride in their profession would go a long way to solving the many problems plaguing the DR police force. Fair pay and incentive pay would go even further. The proposed new courses are a band aid solution. What’s really needed is a complete restructuring starting at the top by an independent outside agency and the enforcement of a strict code of conduct.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
We all need to learn to think for ourselves.
It is the rare formal education that does that.
If you want people to be able to handle money...themselves on the street...fix a EV...fly...you have to have teachers who have done what they teach.
The rest are FAKE.
Why would anyone want to learn from someone who has not done what they are teaching in the real world.
My Petroleum Engineering 101 class was taught by a professor that well respected in his field as a consultant for the big oil companies and had run his own oil exploration company.
That is a real teacher.
So maybe the problem is not education after all.
Take a hard look at the teachers and do they bring real world qualifications to their classroom.
Having a good education "name of the university on my diploma" open a lot of doors for me.
But the education itself didn't do much.
Other than learning how to write really well.
Everyone who reads my posts knows I do that well.

We all do need to know how money works and no one should lack.
Something that even "developed" nations cannot claim for their citizens.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There is one war that continues to be fought that will defeat any such new plan.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
How about we start with the basics like manditory psychological evaluations and random drug testing?

I'll tell you why...
because the police force would end being a lot smaller, that's why.

Reactions: chico bill

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Pay them is the best solution
Well if you already employee corrupt shakedown artists they will only be better paid shakedown artists.
Put people in charge who have exhibited they are beyond reproach (if that exists?) and weed out the evil ones, because with better pay you might attract decent candidates
Remember when a man's word was his bond ?

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Everything about being a police officer has to be better or more important than taking the bribe.
That involves a lot more than pay.
That requires a change of how people view the police.
There was rap song in the country of my origin about a certain view of the police.
They earned it.
And continue to show why that particular song is still applicable to this day.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Well if you already employee corrupt shakedown artists they will only be better paid shakedown artists.
Put people in charge who have exhibited they are beyond reproach (if that exists?) and weed out the evil ones, because with better pay you might attract decent candidates
Remember when a man's word was his bond ?
Yea I rememeber a man's word unfortunately living here made me lose faith in a man's word is his bond .here it does not exist a man's word means absolutely nothing .same as a guarantee. once I hear it's guarantees I stopped talking and leave.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Like everything in this country, I think it's slowly growing up. I was thinking the other day of how 10 years ago I always used to be stopped by police when I was driving and they were kind of scary and wouldn't let me go until I paid. These days it's rare to see the police stopping anything by motorbikes, at least in the capital. I think the fact that everyone immediately gets their phones out and starts videoing everything is a major deterrent to the police these days.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Yea I rememeber a man's word unfortunately living here made me lose faith in a man's word is his bond .here it does not exist a man's word means absolutely nothing .same as a guarantee. once I hear it's guarantees I stopped talking and leave.
Like it's hard to find integrity in guarantees it might be the same for police candidates. Fidelity is not a high priority in the Latin culture.

Stores do give a guarantee & you will get a official looking piece of paper but almost never a refund nor a repair. I got a new set of 4 shocks in Puerto Plata at Torfilco. Ones I had never heard of but ones they promoted saying 'they never had a problem' with any they sold. After 6 weeks one of them was badly leaking oil.

Since they had 'a guarantee' I returned only for them to tell me, after 4 hours of me waiting for the very inebriated manager to return from lunch, that I 'abused the shock' so no replacement or refund would be given. Since I didn't do any off-roading how the hell do you abuse a shock absorber here ?

I replaced them elsewhere with KYBs.

Reactions: NY-DR Commuter