Electricity Cost in Bavaro, Punta Cana

Gringopean

May 24, 2017
Hi all,

I recently stayed with an AirBnb host in Bavaro who is asking for almost $1/kWh extra charge.
I see on some internet sites that the cost is about $0.1/kWh but I don't know how recent that is.

Does anyone living in the area have an insight into today's costs?

Thanks in advance

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
It depends . There is a thread here somewhere about the cost of electricity . Someone said their bill showed….

43 kWh at 7.81 = 1562.15 pesos Edenorte

But in Bavaro ( actual bills) we paid in RD$

254.40 kWh at 14.79 - 3762.58 -CEPM - December 2021

Latest bill from a friend’s Airbnb in Bavaro - May 2022

50kWh at 17.79 = 894.48

This should give you an idea.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Hi all,

I recently stayed with an AirBnb host in Bavaro who is asking for almost $1/kWh extra charge.
I see on some internet sites that the cost is about $0.1/kWh but I don't know how recent that is.

Thanks in advance
Looks like it is about $.035 US per KWh

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
Hi all,

Thanks in advance
I currently pay 17 pesos per kwh.

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
Bavaro has in deed the highest electricity costs in the country ! as for today 41cent(US) / KW

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Is that just Bavaro or for the entire region, including PC and Veron?
The rate is for Veron, Punta Cana, Bavaro, and any location supplied and service by CEPM. It is noteworthy the rates are high. However, the rarely interrupted 24/7 service the clients of CEPM receive offsets the imagined losses of business income, replacing damaged commercial & consumer foodstuffs should the area suffer the common service interruptions of the national grid. It is a win win situation. Don't like paying their rates but what is the cost of replacing a fridge of food often if service was bad?

Regards,

PJT

Jencarnacion

Jul 21, 2022
Bavaro
Hi all,

Thanks in advance
Adding to this older post for informational purposes. I stayed in Bavaro Abnb in July 2022 and the rate was about $.26/kwh usd or $14 pesos/kwh. Rest of the country is about usd $.11 usd/kwh or $6 pesos. Punta cana uses private energy provider CEPM. They have the highest rates in the country, higher even than in the USA. They justify the rates with 24/7 electric power availability. In Abnb you prepay electric and monitor the usage on an app. If you dare to even look at an air conditioner the kilos will drain rapidly. Air conditioning must be used sparingly or prepare to break the bank for power.

Reactions: Auryn

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Adding to this older post for informational purposes. I stayed in Bavaro Abnb in July 2022 and the rate was about $.26/kwh usd or $14 pesos/kwh. Rest of the country is about usd $.11 usd/kwh or $6 pesos.
Yes, electricity cost are different in different parts of the country. It even changes by what circuit you are on.
Punta cana uses private energy provider CEPM. They have the highest rates in the country, higher even than in the USA. They justify the rates with 24/7 electric power availability.
Yes, they can charge a premium for that service.
But if you can't afford to use it and be comfortable while on vacation no less...what is the point?
In Abnb you prepay electric and monitor the usage on an app. If you dare to even look at an air conditioner the kilos will drain rapidly. Air conditioning must be used sparingly or prepare to break the bank for power.
So, I ask what exactly is the advantage of AirBnB?

Seems like guests are staying with Mom & Pop operation that is undercapitalized.
Seems like something unique to 🇩🇴 since I have heard about much dissatisfaction from guests using AirBnB here.

I would rather goto a hotel and pay a bit more and have control of my conditions without having to watch some meter.
But like I posted in the Spirit merger thread...everyone has their priorities, what they will pay for what they want.

Jencarnacion

Jul 21, 2022
Bavaro
Yes, electricity cost are different in different parts of the country. It even changes by what circuit you are on.

Yes, they can charge a premium for that service.
But if you can't afford to use it and be comfortable while on vacation no less...what is the point?

So, I ask what exactly is the advantage of AirBnB?

Seems like guests are staying with Mom & Pop operation that is undercapitalized.
Seems like something unique to 🇩🇴 since I have heard about much dissatisfaction from guests using AirBnB here.

I would rather goto a hotel and pay a bit more and have control of my conditions without having to watch some meter.
But like I posted in the Spirit merger thread...everyone has their priorities, what they will pay for what they want.
very good question darcy. my abnb experience was not very good at all and I would probably use a hotel next time.

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
very good question darcy. my abnb experience was not very good at all and I would probably use a hotel next time.
I think you might have Yourmaninvegas and I mixed up :p: :)

I too have had some, mostly relatively minor, issues with airbnb in Europe, and while I "always" look I've found that hotels offer me better value and way less complications in the DR, and NA too. It's been so cost-effective in Europe, and more "interesting and quirky for accommodations offered, that I keep looking and would try it or look for it first there.

• Love
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas