Excavation on Hill in Sosúa

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
If this is such an important issue, and it seemed to be, and is to many, by past posts, it's interesting that no one that lives in and around Sosua, including, it seems, the "media" has bothered to make any recent updates.

If I were in the area I'd be all over it, and it would take minimal effort, but I'm not and won't be... There are so many other options, better on most points, but I still love the beach as it was...
See post #179. Nothing happening for 3 weeks - so nothing to be "all over it" about.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I drove past yesterday and no activity. What a terrible thing id there was all that destruction for nothing.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I drove past yesterday and no activity. What a terrible thing id there was all that destruction for nothing.
I do not expect the current delay will last much longer. I am surprised it lasted this long. Plans is plans and we will see what the coming weeks bring.
I expect PN and teargas to mitigate resistance, but then I have expected that from day 1 of the plans being announced.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I do not expect the current delay will last much longer. I am surprised it lasted this long. Plans is plans and we will see what the coming weeks bring.
I expect PN and teargas to mitigate resistance, but then I have expected that from day 1 of the plans being announced.
I thought you were predicting tear gas on the beach, not on the hill the other side of the road?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
And has that not happen Mr. Windy? (tear gas etc.)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
And has that not happen Mr. Windy? (tear gas etc.)
Several years back there were houses on the ocean front from where Kite Beach is to El Rocon Beach.
The people were told to leave those homes, there were probably about 40 homes and businesses.
Many block and rebar, not just simple shacks.

The people did not believe they would be forced out. One day, the day they were supposed to already be gone, I smelled tear gas.
The PN came in with large machines and destroyed all of those homes, in one day.
In one week every piece of scrap was gone.

I expect this process for the Sosua Beach project soon IFF the vendors resist. I am surprised it has not yet happened.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Several years back there were houses on the ocean front from where Kite Beach is to El Rocon Beach.
The people were told to leave those homes, there were probably about 40 homes and businesses.
Many block and rebar, not just simple shacks.

The people did not believe they would be forced out. One day, the day they were supposed to already be gone, I smelled tear gas.
The PN came in with large machines and destroyed all of those homes, in one day.
In one week every piece of scrap was gone.

I expect this process for the Sosua Beach project soon IFF the vendors resist. I am surprised it has not yet happened.

I was there when it happened. Lots of shocked people but you haven't seen anyone rebuilding.

Reactions: johne

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I was there when it happened. Lots of shocked people but you haven't seen anyone rebuilding.
It was definitely a day of "shock and awe" for those squatters. I headed west as soon as I smelled the tear gas. The reason was the property owner coordinated with the military to clear out the land. I think the family was from Russia originally who own that extensive piece of prime land. I too am surprised that nothing has been done with the land except for a small part on the eastern edge where they put up a wall to "protect" it from encroachment. TUVA is there now.

As for that type of PN/Teargas action on Sosua beach proper, I think it is a question of when should the Association not leave quietly. .

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
It was definitely a day of "shock and awe" for those squatters. I headed west as soon as I smelled the tear gas. The reason was the property owner coordinated with the military to clear out the land. I think the family was from Russia originally who own that extensive piece of prime land. I too am surprised that nothing has been done with the land except for a small part on the eastern edge where they put up a wall to "protect" it from encroachment. TUVA is there now.

As for that type of PN/Teargas action on Sosua beach proper, I think it is a question of when should the Association not leave quietly. .
We know that Abinader is already planning for reelection. Don't you think the negative press he would get from this might dissuade them from such an aggressive action?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
We know that Abinader is already planning for reelection. Don't you think the negative press he would get from this might dissuade them from such an aggressive action?
Not at all.

The majority of Dominicans have wanted the issues of Sosua addressed for years.

Reactions: windeguy

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
Not directly, as far as I know.
Agreed but does anyone actually know?

My understanding is that there were no permits pulled through normal channels (not that there aren't permits), and no one knows who owns the land currently nor who is paying for the destruction. No officially stated purpose is known and while it's probably either got some connection to the proposed work on the beach or it might be totally separate and coincidental, or someone "in the know" taking advantage of that knowledge and getting prepared to make us of the info and lead time to position a new business venture that will benefit from the beach "renovation".

After pages and pages of threads, and speculation, no one has been able to tell us with certainty, links, official notices or backup...anything.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
NO. Not in the least.

Sosua, by the way, has so few people they don't matter in such an election. Santo Domingo and Santiago decide who is POTDR.

I suspect the work on the hill is related to the beach. In the local news it was stated there would be a pedestrian walkway over route 5 connecting that South side to the beach. It has also been mentioned that the same people that own the land where the casitas are squatting and the land owner up the hill are one in the same. Pastoriza (sp?) and related to the former Mayor as well.

Reactions: Big

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
NO. Not in the least.

Sosua, by the way, has so few people they don't matter in such an election. Santo Domingo and Santiago decide who is POTDR.

I suspect the work on the hill is related to the beach. In the local news it was stated there would be a pedestrian walkway over route 5 connecting that South side to the beach. It has also been mentioned that the same people that own the land where the casitas are squatting and the land owner up the hill are one in the same. Pastoriza (sp?) and related to the former Mayor as well.
Local news? Do you consider that reliable in the face of no other actual, official and legitimate sources?

I don't. It's all rumor and speculation....unless you have access to any links to official posts about this. If so please do post them ;)

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
NO. Not in the least.

I understand that, but I was thinking of the bad press it would generate nationally. The big evil developers bulldozing/tear gassing the poor vendors who are just trying to eke out a living. Sounds like human interest to me.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
NO. Not in the least.

Indeed, Like an Ivy league educated wealthy business man oh and president cares about a red light town that caters to foreigners