Switching to Electric Cars in The DR

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
At a "Tesla" charging station, 15 minutes will get you approximately 200 miles.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
A friend in my home country had a Hyundai Kona. He liked the car a lot but there are no fast charging stations on the highways for it. It took way too long to charge to be practical for long trips. He sold it and bought a Teslsa since there are plenty of fast charging Tesla charges there. He told me he had to stop for a total of 45 minutes on a trip from upstate NY to FL.

So to answer the question on how long it takes to charge, it depends.. If you have a Tesla, it is quick right now. Other models, perform your due diligence before you buy.

So, how much is a Chevy Bolt or the cheapest Tesla, new only price fully delivered, in the DR these days?

Jan 9, 2004
It is no longer a social justice warrior issue. These vehicles are coming mainstream. They are neither expensive nor impractical for many people. The Chevrolet Bolt, Hyundai Ioniq and Hyundai Kona electric all have fairly low price points. There are now countries where RV's outnumber ICE vehicles.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
That sentence should read EV's......not RV's.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I agree with you brother.
And I am no environmentalist. I am first and foremost about my own personal convenience. Yeah, I am privileged economically. But I worked for it. I was not born with it or in it.

I am about mobility and buy a vehicle that will do what I need it to. I actually like diesel. I need a vehicle that can put in work. You know, go hard in the paint like I do. I would be adding to my fleet. And that is only because I could charge it using solar.

All EV purchasers are early adopters at this point and will pay a premium for their choices.
And they are rolling the dice here in 🇩🇴 when it comes to maintenance, repairs, parts, battery replacement ect.

How is the that biggest advocate of EV posting in this thread does not even own one❓
As a retired electronics design engineer, and a late adopter of technology , I agree completely that people currently purchasing most EVs are still buying prototypes. My best friend back home has a Chevy Bolt. It was on recall because the Panasonic made lithium Ion batteries had manufacturing defect in the insulators creating the potential to start on fire all too frequently and burn down the house, or the car if it was outside. He waited for many months to get a special "deal" to replace the car with a newer model hopefully without that defective battery pack , while the software was "updated" in the mean time to decrease the fire potential in his original Bolt.

Tesla models seem to be a bit more mature, certainly are many in FL, but the price I am cure would be off-putting for my needs in the DR.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The social justice warrior issue is exactly what is causing EV's to become mainstream. Something called Climate Change with birds dropping out of the sky on 115 degree days in one part of the world could be the torch bearer for the cause. Nevertheless, climate change is the driving force for driving an EV and various governments regulations on how soon and how many must be sold, make no mistake about that. Even if you aren't interested in that aspect, you will pay the price on account of government decisions. Or maybe a bit less if taxes are less and rebates abound. Here in the DR, I am not yet seeing the need. I may never see it for an EV.

Jan 9, 2004
A friend in my home country had a Hyundai Kona. He liked the car a lot but there are no fast charging stations on the highways for it. It took way too long to charge to be practical for long trips. He sold it and bought a Teslsa since there are plenty of fast charging Tesla charges there. He told me he had to stop for a total of 45 minutes on a trip from upstate NY to FL.

So to answer the question on how long it takes to charge, it depends.. If you have a Tesla, it is quick right now. Other models, perform your due diligence before you buy.

So, how much is a Chevy Bolt or the cheapest Tesla, new only price fully delivered, in the DR these days?
The Bolt will run around $47k delivered new.

The Tesla is a much harder price to figure as Tesla does NOT sell through dealers. They are consumer direct. Thus an inquiry would have to be made through Tesla itself. Back of the envelope calculation would be $62k delivered new.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
It is no longer a social justice warrior issue. These vehicles are coming mainstream. They are neither expensive nor impractical for many people. The Chevrolet Bolt, Hyundai Ioniq and Hyundai Kona electric all have fairly low price points. There are now countries where RV's outnumber ICE vehicles.

But certainly full acceptance in the DR will be challenging as the shift occurs.........but occur it will. It is no different than any new competing technology that comes along and successfully disrupts (VHS versus BetaMax, Plasma versus LED, 8 track versus cassette versus CD, typewriters versus word processors, etc., etc., etc.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
What are the new costs in the DR of the EVs you mentioned. Add to that $5000 to buy & get a home charger and have it installed.
I see a 3 year old Ioniq for $33K.
A 3 year old Leaf for $39K.

Now that seems pricey for used sub-compacts and who knows the condition of the batteries?
I believe the Leaf only has a range of 145 miles when new with no AC or lights.

Used it's likely half that. Certainly if you go to town for groceries and a nail appointment then home. But if you want to go from Puerto Plata to Rio San Juan or Punta Caña to the capital you better have a gas or diésel car in the marquesina if you expect to return home that day.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
The Bolt will run around $47k delivered new.

The Tesla is a much harder price to figure as Tesla does NOT sell through dealers. They are consumer direct. Thus an inquiry would have to be made through Tesla itself. Back of the envelope calculation would be $62k delivered new.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Think again on the cost of a new Tesla here. They are $50 K in the US with a 4 month wait new.
You can get one here for $102 K new. Double the US price. I'd rather have a diesel Toyota Fourtuner with some change.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It might be badged under a different name outside of the US.

Try Ampera-e.

Respectfully.
Playacaribe2
There is NO electric anything listed at the link for the official Chevy dealer in the DR. All the other cars they do sell keep the same name as their US models. A few of the vans might not be available in the US.... But no EV listed by the official dealer.

Jan 9, 2004
Think again on the cost of a new Tesla here. They are $50 K in the US with a 4 month wait new.
You can get one here for $102 K new. Double the US price. I'd rather have a diesel Toyota Fourtuner with some change.
That is the price through a non-authorized channel buying new, importing and then adding a markup.

Tesla sells direct to consumer.........there are no Tesla company showrooms in the DR.......and as I said Tesla does not use the conventional dealer to consumer model.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That is the price through a non-authorized channel buying new, importing and then adding a markup.

Tesla sells direct to consumer.........there are no Tesla company showrooms in the DR.......and as I said Tesla does not use the conventional dealer to consumer model.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Sounds like there is no official way to get a Tesla in the DR, correct?
Nor even a Chevy Bolt from a Chevy dealer from what I just looked up.

Jan 9, 2004
There is NO electric anything listed at the link for the official Chevy dealer in the DR. All the other cars they do sell keep the same name as their US models. A few of the vans might not be available in the US.... But no EV listed by the official dealer.

Apparently, they do not see a market yet for new Bolts in the DR.

The used market for all EV's should start to strengthen in the next few years. My clients believe the range on the 2022 car models is sufficient to warrant buying them used in next few years and importing into the DR.

Another client is actively seeking more Nissan Leafs to import to the DR.......but the used car market in the US is such that used prices of any vehicle, ICE or electric, are just very expensive right now.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Jan 9, 2004
Sounds like there is no official way to get a Tesla in the DR, correct?
Nor even a Chevy Bolt from a Chevy dealer from what I just looked up.
Official? Certainly there are no official Tesla new sellers in the DR. Lots of new......but unauthorized sellers looking to take advantage of what they feel is a market for the product. To use an automotive term.......they seem to be grey market cars.

Again, Chevrolet may not see, or even want a market in the DR for the Bolt............at least for now and/or until they start to see demand for them coming from the used side of the equation.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
I have searched for an authorized new Tesla seller and can not find one online. There is a dealer in Santiago and I stopped there last December out of curiosity and a Model Y was there but it was marked as sold. ( And I am not sure it was brand new but looked like it)

There are 2300 EVs in DR according to this report

EV Motorcycles are appearing and I have seen one. But they are $4K

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Official? Certainly there are no official Tesla new sellers in the DR. Lots of new......but unauthorized sellers looking to take advantage of what they feel is a market for the product. To use an automotive term.......they seem to be grey market cars.

Again, Chevrolet may not see, or even want a market in the DR for the Bolt............at least for now and/or until they start to see demand for them coming from the used side of the equation.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
I'm with you on this one. I think their mindset for now is they're not worth the potential headaches.

They are beginning to be more common now. I usually see at least one every time I travel to Santo Domingo.

Jan 9, 2004
I have searched for an authorized new Tesla seller and can not find one online. There is a dealer in Santiago and I stopped there last December out of curiosity and a Model Y was there but it was marked as sold. ( And I am not sure it was brand new but looked like it)

There are no authorized Tesla sellers.......................only Tesla itself. They do not have a showroom yet in the DR..............and I suspect will not have one for the foreseeable future.
There are 2300 EVs in DR according to this report

That report is likely for the number of circulating vehicles on the streets. There are also many more waiting to be sold on dealer lots throughout the country............with more arriving every month.

EV Motorcycles are appearing and I have seen one. But they are $4K

Now that could present an EV charging nightmare for the DR.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Does anyone here on DR1 posting about EV's actually own one in the 🇩🇴 ❓
Apologies, this is thread about people thinking about making a switch.
Owners of EVs in the 🇩🇴 are not posting about them because they have already made the switch and are no longer thinking about it.
I am looking for the "Insights from owners of EVs in the 🇩🇴" thread.
Can someone point me to that thread❓

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
US Tesla showrooms