Switching to Electric Cars in The DR

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There are no authorized Tesla sellers.......................only Tesla itself. They do not have a showroom yet in the DR..............and I suspect will not have one for the foreseeable future.

That report is likely for the number of circulating vehicles on the streets. There are also many more waiting to be sold on dealer lots throughout the country............with more arriving every month.

Now that could present an EV charging nightmare for the DR.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Just walk down any highly populated street in Santo Domingo and it takes little to imagine an EV charging nightmare.
Power lines run from second floor apartments across the sidewalk to their Chevy Bolts the dealer didn't sell them, nor has any parts for.

The DR will have to come up with a revolutionary way to charge EV's of 2 and 4 wheels when the time comes that ICE vehicles are banned or phased out to the point that the DR keeps them running like Cuba does.

Reactions: JD Jones
Jan 9, 2004
Just walk down any highly populated street in Santo Domingo and it takes little to imagine an EV charging nightmare.
Power lines run from second floor apartments across the sidewalk to their Chevy Bolts the dealer didn't sell them, nor has any parts for.

The DR will have to come up with a revolutionary way to charge EV's of 2 and 4 wheels when the time comes that ICE vehicles are banned or phased out to the point that the DR keeps them running like Cuba does.
I very much doubt that adoption in those areas you mention will be in the next 5 or even 10 years.

But as the technology advances, things will look a lot different in the years to come.

What is undeniable is that disruptive changes are coming in the automotive space and the DR is seeing more and more EV's on its roads. In June I saw my first Chinese EV in the DR, a BYD HAN.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Chargers will evolve to a 110V configuration that can be accessed anywhere there is an outlet.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Chargers will evolve to a 110V configuration that can be accessed anywhere there is an outlet.
Yeah but can they can charge their EVs through 14 gauge wire to the outlets which is what most 110 volt outlets have here?
Be prepared to call the fire trucks

Best just to keep a generator at your house to charge your EV. You could still do virtue signaling as you drive about.
But remember the electricity in DR is generated mainly from coal fired plants.
Saving the Planet - I don't think so

I think of EVs kind of like other fads, Hoola Hoops, Pet Rocks and Fidget Spinners - only EVs have a longer timeline and now a worldwide government backing - but we all should look at it scientifically.
Unless you are charging your car off solar panels you are not reducing over all emissions.
And even solar panels require mined resources and fossil fuel to fabricate them, as well as the batteries. And it would take years to offset those resources.

Jan 9, 2004
I think of EVs kind of like other fads, Hoola Hoops, Pet Rocks and Fidget Spinners - only EVs have a longer timeline and now a worldwide government backing - but we all should look at it scientifically.
As a staunch ICE person, I must admit that its days are numbered, but I do not believe EV's are a fad.
Unless you are charging your car off solar panels you are not reducing over all emissions.
And even solar panels require mined resources and fossil fuel to fabricate them, as well as the batteries. And it would take years to offset those resources.
Actually, ICE transportation vehicles account for a significant percentage of greenhouse emissions...........that is the larger environmental benefit.

But your point is well taken regarding solar panels and batteries. There is no way yet discovered to minimize their environmental impact. So are we trading bone environmental problem for another? And not to mention, the majority of solar panels are made in one country, so energy security comes into play as well.

But the oil/gas energy savings for the DR will be monumental. The downside will be the lost combustibles tax revenue.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Yeah but can they can charge their EVs through 14 gauge wire to the outlets which is what most 110 volt outlets have here?
Be prepared to call the fire trucks

Best just to keep a generator at your house to charge your EV. You could still do virtue signaling as you drive about.
But remember the electricity in DR is generated mainly from coal fired plants.
Saving the Planet - I don't think so

Out of the park, stand at the plate and watch, walk off home run my man‼️

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
I confess, that my interest in alternative power and passive cooling has nothing directly to do with the environment. Not that it's not important or necessary but more importantly for me, selfishly even, it's to be free from the dictates and incompetence of the Gov't and those that control the power grid, in all its flawed "glory".

The same goes for EV's. They make no sense to me in the DR as it currently stands. Unless and until the electrical grid issues and also the issues with charging, charging stations, the need for 22o, etc are solved I'll stick to my diesel, by preference, or gasoline vehicles.

I doubt very much that I'll ever buy an EV in the DR...

Jan 9, 2004
I confess, that my interest in alternative power and passive cooling has nothing directly to do with the environment. Not that it's not important or necessary but more importantly for me, selfishly even, it's to be free from the dictates and incompetence of the Gov't and those that control the power grid, in all its flawed "glory".

The same goes for EV's. They make no sense to me in the DR as it currently stands. Unless and until the electrical grid issues and also the issues with charging, charging stations, the need for 22o, etc are solved I'll stick to my diesel, by preference, or gasoline vehicles.

I doubt very much that I'll ever buy an EV in the DR...
First and foremost to your point, EV's have to make sense on an individual case by case basis.

You must evaluate the number of miles driven daily, where how you will charge, and whether it makes economic sense to purchase.

The average person drives approximately 12,000 miles a year. That equates to about 32 miles per day.....granted some days its longer and some days its shorter.
But for purposes of discussion, there is not an EV made today in 2022 that does not get you the range you need for the average daily usage.

Second, and importantly, is charging. Home chargers/charging overnight will be the norm for most people. And 39 miles per day does not even come close to utilizing a fully charged vehicle..........so a charge at night will likely not be from empty or even from 20% as some suggested as the ideal point to re-charge.

The only reference that I have in the DR is for the east region with a couple dozen Nissan Leafs. The current average per day usage is 29.5 miles. They have home/business Level 2 chargers and CEPM is the reliable electric supplier. They are all operating fine and there have been no issues.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: JD Jones

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
@playacaribe2

I agree with what you just said in post #208 but they're not for me. Not in the DR and not in NA.

In NA I drive all over the place and a trip for me could be a couple of hundred miles, each way. For short trips, I walk or could use transit and if I didn't drive so much for others I would simply uber/taxi and rent for long trips. Owning a vehicle is not a financial decision for me, it's convenience only, and I hope and believe that I've purchased my last car in NA. An EV is not an option although if I were in the market I'd buy something like what @william webster was talking about for a backup vehicle.

For the DR it's definitely not for me as discussed earlier. I'm not saying that it's not for some nor that it won't become more practical and prevalent, just that it makes no sense for me.

A pickup or SUV, preferably in diesel, from one of the more practical and easy to repair, and get parts for, brands and models will do me just fine...IF I feel the need for a vehicle at all. So far I have had no need and if I felt the need an EV would not do it for me.

Cheers to those that buy them ;)

Jan 9, 2004
@playacaribe2

I agree with what you just said in post #208 but they're not for me. Not in the DR and not in NA.

In NA I drive all over the place and a trip for me could be a couple of hundred miles, each way. For short trips, I walk or could use transit and if I didn't drive so much for others I would simply uber/taxi and rent for long trips. Owning a vehicle is not a financial decision for me, it's convenience only, and I hope and believe that I've purchased my last car in NA. An EV is not an option although if I were in the market I'd buy something like what @william webster was talking about for a backup vehicle.

For the DR it's definitely not for me as discussed earlier. I'm not saying that it's not for some nor that it won't become more practical and prevalent, just that it makes no sense for me.

A pickup or SUV, preferably in diesel, from one of the more practical and easy to repair, and get parts for, brands and models will do me just fine...IF I feel the need for a vehicle at all. So far I have had no need and if I felt the need an EV would not do it for me.

Cheers to those that buy them ;)
Exactly. A case by case basis.

And as to the future............just know that the same issue now of finding charging stations to charge electric vehicles will be the same issue facing ICE engines in the future. i.e., gas stations.

I expect to import to the DR a Toyoyta bz4x or Hyundai Kona electric in about 4 years.

And so it goes.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Exactly. A case by case basis.

And as to the future............just know that the same issue now of finding charging stations to charge electric vehicles will be the same issue facing ICE engines in the future. i.e., gas stations.

I expect to import to the DR a Toyoyta bz4x or Hyundai Kona electric in about 4 years.

And so it goes.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Billy Pilgrim, is that you?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Sure you want to buy a Bolt ?

Attachments

• Snap6.jpg
    Snap6.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 66
Jan 9, 2004
Sure you want to buy a Bolt ?
Nothing new here;

or this one;

Let me know if you need more............because there are more.......lots more.......................ICE engine Do Not Drive Warnings.

FYI, the Bolt is having record sales for 2022.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Nothing new here;

or this one;

Let me know if you need more............because there are more.......lots more.......................ICE engine Do Not Drive Warnings.

FYI, the Bolt is having record sales for 2022.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

I bet these could be a game changer if the price isn't too high: