Minister of Education blasts the public education situation; Says students are not learning

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Yes. I was talking not about university education, but basic education where students actually learn to read, write, and no basic math. That is not the case, at least in the schools I know. In our little pueblo we tutored 60 children ages 11-13 who could not read a single word.

What were the teachers doing all this time?
I hate to admit it but there are many inner-city schools in the US and some on reservations where the supposed 'studebts' are illiterate also.

This happens when schools and teachers don't value real instruction but just show up.

Reactions: LindseyKaufman

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I hate to admit it but there are many inner-city schools in the US and some on reservations where the supposed 'studebts' are illiterate also.

This happens when schools and teachers don't value real instruction but just show up.
I don’t know about the US but in the DR could it be they just almost give up because of the awful work conditions.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
There are many examples in Latin America for 🇩🇴 republic to follow if they want to improve their public school system.

The educational system needs to be radically redesigned.
You don't need twelve years of instruction to learn the basics of reading, writing and arithmetic.
Furthermore the basic concepts need to be applied to real life.
Compound interest is math.
Balancing a check book is math
Setting up a budget is math
Reading a ballot or law is reading (and Spanish)
Writing a letter is writing in Spanish (principles of writing a letter are the same even if you use email. It is about communication).

Someone up in here took a shot at me because I admitted, that even through I was taught the boiling point of water at some point in my young life, I had forgotten what it was.
This was after I admitted I forgot that information. :rolleyes:
So, why did they take that shot?
Is it because they feel those who do not know that basic fact of (chemistry, physics) are uneducated.
If that is case that I am proud to be considered uneducated.
But what education I did develop allowed to me to live on the same country as anyone who thinks I am uneducated.

Which goes to my point...
Why does someone think it is important to know that information (boiling point of water) in this day and age when you can just "google it" and almost everyone has access to the internet?

If I need to do math, I grab a calculator, my smart phone or set up spreadsheet.
If I need to write I use a word processor that corrects my spelling and points out grammatical mistakes.
Or I can dictate what I need to write to my various devices.
My iPad can even read to me if I want it to.

What knowledge is the most important and basic that you need to function and thrive in day to day real life in the 🇩🇴 ?
That is what should be taught.
And then they need to teach why and how this knowledge is important to the lives of the children they are teaching.

The teachers should be able to do what they are teaching.
If they are teach English should be able to speak English fluently.
If they are teaching Spanish they should be able to speak Spanish fluently at a level professionals use the language.
If they are teaching math they should be able to do the math problems they are teaching and at a higher level.
And if they are teaching reading they should be able to read themselves at a university level.

No can someone tell me:
Why exactly are individuals comparing the school systems of the 🇩🇴 to the school systems of their country of origins?
Different language, different country, different opportunities.

Finally, read this post and you can tell me that you may not agree with my idea.
But I know how to write and communicate.
So, people in general should be careful about the sweeping generalizations they make about people of all type based on where they happen to be born or live currently.

Reactions: Drperson
Aug 21, 2007
There are many examples in Latin America for 🇩🇴 republic to follow if they want to improve their public school system.

The educational system needs to be radically redesigned.
You don't need twelve years of instruction to learn the basics of reading, writing and arithmetic.
Furthermore the basic concepts need to be applied to real life.
Compound interest is math.
Balancing a check book is math
Setting up a budget is math
Reading a ballot or law is reading (and Spanish)
Writing a letter is writing in Spanish (principles of writing a letter are the same even if you use email. It is about communication).

Someone up in here took a shot at me because I admitted, that even through I was taught the boiling point of water at some point in my young life, I had forgotten what it was.
This was after I admitted I forgot that information. :rolleyes:
So, why did they take that shot?
Is it because they feel those who do not know that basic fact of (chemistry, physics) are uneducated.
If that is case that I am proud to be considered uneducated.
But what education I did develop allowed to me to live on the same country as anyone who thinks I am uneducated.

Which goes to my point...
Why does someone think it is important to know that information (boiling point of water) in this day and age when you can just "google it" and almost everyone has access to the internet?

If I need to do math, I grab a calculator, my smart phone or set up spreadsheet.
If I need to write I use a word processor that corrects my spelling and points out grammatical mistakes.
Or I can dictate what I need to write to my various devices.
My iPad can even read to me if I want it to.

What knowledge is the most important and basic that you need to function and thrive in day to day real life in the 🇩🇴 ?
That is what should be taught.
And then they need to teach why and how this knowledge is important to the lives of the children they are teaching.

The teachers should be able to do what they are teaching.
If they are teach English should be able to speak English fluently.
If they are teaching Spanish they should be able to speak Spanish fluently at a level professionals use the language.
If they are teaching math they should be able to do the math problems they are teaching and at a higher level.
And if they are teaching reading they should be able to read themselves at a university level.

No can someone tell me:
Why exactly are individuals comparing the school systems of the 🇩🇴 to the school systems of their country of origins?
Different language, different country, different opportunities.

Finally, read this post and you can tell me that you may not agree with my idea.
But I know how to write and communicate.
So, people in general should be careful about the sweeping generalizations they make about people of all type based on where they happen to be born or live currently.
As always, I like reading your ideas.

Whether you think school systems around the world should be compared, or not is your valid opinion. However, the reality is that comparisons ARE made through PISA and the OCED, UNESCO, Unicef, IMF, World Bank, and other international organizations that provide information, assistance, and financial support worldwide.

So, unless the DR is not interested in receiving loans and other support from these organizations, it is in their best interest to improve their system of education from last place on the PISA to a more respectable position.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I am in the camp that education is valuable.
And it is in the interest of 🇩🇴 to educate citizens to high level in order to have a more productive society.

(Add inappropriate language of your choice) the OCED, UNESCO, Unicef, IMF, World Bank and other international organizations.
They do not have the interests of the countries they want to "help" in mind when giving such "help".
Most countries would be better off doing things on their own.
It is harder and will take longer but in the end they will be better off from putting the work in and running up the learning curve on their own.

In 🇩🇴 it starts by firing all the administrative staff below the Minister and building a new leadership team.
Next step is to fire all the teachers and building a new education team.
Next step is to give the new teachers the tools they need to teach and to teach what needs to be taught.
Next step is to make sure the physical needs of the children are being met so they can learn
Next step is to improve the physical plant and facilities

Mr. Minister, if asked I will serve.

Aug 21, 2007
I am in the camp that education is valuable.
And it is in the interest of 🇩🇴 to educate citizens to high level in order to have a more productive society.

(Add inappropriate language of your choice) the OCED, UNESCO, Unicef, IMF, World Bank and other international organizations.
They do not have the interests of the countries they want to "help" in mind when giving such "help".
Most countries would be better off doing things on their own.
It is harder and will take longer but in the end they will be better off from putting the work in and running up the learning curve on their own.

In 🇩🇴 it starts by firing all the administrative staff below the Minister and building a new leadership team.
Next step is to fire all the teachers and building a new education team.
Next step is to give the new teachers the tools they need to teach and to teach what needs to be taught.
Next step is to make sure the physical needs of the children are being met so they can learn
Next step is to improve the physical plant and facilities

Mr. Minister, if asked I will serve.
I am not saying that that I am in favor (or not in favor) of these organizations, nor am I writing regarding their personal interests or objectives. I do know that the Dominican Republic uses their financial help and to qualify, they are required to show results.

I have my opinions how the Dominican Republic can achieve those results, but of course, they are not interested in my opinion. I am nothing to them, even though I dedicate my retirement as a volunteer directing a non-profit that educates their children (with documented results.)

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Liceo Cientifico in Villa Tapia has had great results. It uses a STEAM based curriculum. There's a mix of local and foreign teachers. Students are very knowledgeable, and they have either won or been on top in multiple international science, electronics, and robotics competitions.

They also help students develop language fluency, and train them to pass the TOEFL test. After students graduate, based on their grades, they get the opportunity to apply for college scholarships. Some have gotten scholarships in the US.

I have no idea who exactly started the project, but heard it was an international NGO, and the government provides some funding for teachers' salaries.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Liceo Cientifico in Villa Tapia has had great results. It uses a STEAM based curriculum. There's a mix of local and foreign teachers. Students are very knowledgeable, and they have either won or been on top in multiple international science, electronics, and robotics competitions.

They also help students develop language fluency, and train them to pass the TOEFL test. After students graduate, based on their grades, they get the opportunity to apply for college scholarships. Some have gotten scholarships in the US.

I have no idea who exactly started the project, but heard it was an international NGO, and the government provides some funding for teachers' salaries.
Wow!
I visited the school's website and I'm impressed.

Reactions: Aguaita29
Aug 21, 2007

You are right! Impressive! See if you can find out the NGO who started the program. Wonder how they accepted non-Dominicans as teachers. Wonder if the pay scale of non Dominican teachers is different. So many questions. Where is Villa Tapia????

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
You are right! Impressive! See if you can find out the NGO who started the program. Wonder how they accepted non-Dominicans as teachers. Wonder if the pay scale of non Dominican teachers is different. So many questions. Where is Villa Tapia????
I'll try to find out more. They have a YouTube Channel. Maybe you should contact them. Villa Tapia is in Hermanas Mirabal.