Blood B+ Urgently Needed in Puerto Plata

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
My Dominican brother-in-law urgently needs B positive blood. He was given 4 pints of blood last week and had most of his leg amputated last Thursday. Today I am told he needs 1 more pint. Today. He is at Ricardo Limardo Hospital in Puerto Plata. Can anyone help please or know someone who can help please? My phone # is 809-842-5082. Let me know who can help so I can facilitate the donation. Thank you all.

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
Got 1 pint just now! Hoping that he won't need more!

Didn't we have a register of DR1ers who were willing to give blood. specially for the rare types?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Got 1 pint just now! Hoping that he won't need more!

Didn't we have a register of DR1ers who were willing to give blood. specially for the rare types?
We did but it’s terribly out of date. I think this was the last one: (Shall we start a new one?)

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I would but the last time I tried they told me I'm too old. I've never heard of that before.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I would but the last time I tried they told me I'm too old. I've never heard of that before.
I think DR has an age limit, maybe someone can find out what it is. I’m B+ but not in DR now, probably not allowed due to age and medications.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Last edited:

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
Would you believe women are not allowed to give blood????!!!!! at least that is what we were told but the requirements posted by La Profe_1 seem to indicate otherwise. I had my husband asking at the blood bank in Puerto Plata last time we bought blood... about using O+ which I believe is universal donor so it can be put into the veins of a B+ person. The answer he came back with was ...well, the blood would have to be tested... !!!???for what? isn't all blood tested? Apparently the hospital insisted that he was given only B+, no idea why. The whole blood business is beyond me! If someone with some medical knowledgeable could explain , please! Oh and by the way, a pint at the blood bank is 6,500 pesos so if your salary was 8,000pesos when you were working what are your chances? But if you have friends that have the same blood type and are willing to give you the blood or you find a motoconcho with that blood type, donors can go directly to the hospital and are normally given 1,000pesos per pint by the family. Would the Hospital perform the same testing as the Blood bank? Oh and the basic government insurance for workers (Senasa) does not cover blood costs. And you better specify the correct name of the person you want your blood to go to as some people claim they have given blood but the family member still has not received any! I have nightmares!

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
Would you believe women are not allowed to give blood????!!!!!
I think that has changed. If you read my post above, I quoted part of an article that discussed requirements for blood donors from El Acento.

From that quote:
"no estar embarazada o lactando." Those requirements apply only to women, so it seems that the rules have changed.

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
Sorry Neargale we were posting at the same time!

By the way, it is O- that is the Universal Donor. It lacks the A, B, and Rh antigens so is safe for all blood types.

Incompatible antigens cause transfusion reactions. Since O- lacks the three major blood typing antigens it should not cause a transfusion reaction.

Reactions: Neargale

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
I think that has changed. If you read my post above, I quoted part of an article that discussed requirements for blood donors from El Acento.

From that quote:
"no estar embarazada o lactando." Those requirements apply only to women, so it seems that the rules have changed.
or local latino machismo prevailed just in case I am pregnant!

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
Sorry Neargale we were posting at the same time!

By the way, it is O- that is the Universal Donor. It lacks the A, B, and Rh antigens so is safe for all blood types.

Incompatible antigens cause transfusion reactions. Since O- lacks the three major blood typing antigens it should not cause a transfusion reaction.
Yes I meant O-. Too many things going on!