Government to build first hotel in Pedernales

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Cabo-Rojo-Pedernales-Diario-Libre-1024x703.png

The Pro-Pedernales Trust announced a tender for the contracting of a first resort to be built in the Cabo Rojo touristic development in Pedernales. The beach hotel will be built on Dominican government land and will have 580 hotel rooms in up to six floors. The government has reached an agreement with the Spanish hotel company, Iberostar for the operation of the hotel. Sigmund Freund, director general of the Public Private Alliances Agency (Dgapp) tweeted: “We have moved from dreams to reality.”

The hotel will be built on a 241,654 square meter lot. The funds for the financing of the construction are from the Pro Pedernales Trust created by Decree 724-20 of 22 December 2020. Diario Libre reports that the government is so far providing all the capital for the construction, but in the future private sector injections are expected.

Read more in...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The next new shiny area starts its development. Will Pedernales development soon cause business to suffer in Punta Cana?
The DR government is all about AI resorts (and cruise ports) . Great revenue.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Brilliant move by the government. They own the underlying asset therefore they can leverage that to the tune of a gazzilion dollars. They can control the sale, the renting, the design, the vibe...the everything having to do with that development.

Jan 9, 2004
The information I had received and posted in the Pedernales Trust thread is now confirmed. Iberostar is leading the way.

What is interesting in this press release is that the hotel will be up to 6 stories tall. That is a significant move upward from the restrictions imposed on the resort hotel builders in Punta Cana who were then limited to just three stories. The only one larger, that I am aware of in Punta Cana, is the recently built (2 years ago) Hyatts in Cap Cana.

Are they choosing to go up and not out for environmental concerns? Being eco-friendly was/is supposedly a key component for the development of the Cabo-Rojo area?

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: JD Jones

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Well they only need about 90 more just to match the AI's in Punta Cana....................

How many resorts does Punta Cana have?

With over 90 all-inclusive resorts in 7 hotel areas, Punta Cana is the Dominican Republic's most important tourism destination.Jul 13, 2021

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
The information I had received and posted in the Pedernales Trust thread is now confirmed. Iberostar is leading the way.

What is interesting in this press release is that the hotel will be up to 6 stories tall. That is a significant move upward from the restrictions imposed on the resort hotel builders in Punta Cana who were then limited to just three stories. The only one larger, that I am aware of in Punta Cana, is the recently built (2 years ago) Hyatts in Cap Cana.

Are they choosing to go up and not out for environmental concerns? Being eco-friendly was/is supposedly a key component for the development of the Cabo-Rojo area?

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Haha. Environmental concerns. Still maybe a good idea. Make it different than Punta Cana. More like Benidorm in Spain. Higher up means lees footprint.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
When was Punta Cana built ?
What was there before ?

First time we went there was as a family in 2000, to meet some college friends of our son from Italy. We stayed at an AI owned by Italians who didn’t speak any English. We were surrounded by woods / jungle. Went for a ride to look around, but there was nothing else to look at. 🤣

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Cap Cana and the Macao area have a much higher limit. As a result, now they are building highrises in Cap Cana. I expect a sea of highrises to engulf Macao too.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Cap Cana and the Macao area have a much higher limit. As a result, now they are building highrises in Cap Cana. I expect a sea of highrises to engulf Macao too.
I thought it was ok with Cap Cana. Make that the Miami looking area. But a shame with Macao beach.