Safety Travelling from Cibao International Airport

Solar39

Dec 13, 2010
I am arriving around 8PM, and am renting a car.

How safe is it leaving the airport to Santiago at that time of night.

TIA

David B

Aug 31, 2017
I am arriving around 8PM, and am renting a car.

How safe is it leaving the airport to Santiago at that time of night.

TIA
I think it depends where you're traveling to from the airport and which route you take.

Solar39

Dec 13, 2010
I think it depends where you're traveling to from the airport and which route you take.
David,

Thanks for the speedy response. I thought there was only one way, and that would be to the Autopista Duarte? I will be going to Santiago, via El Monumento.

David B

Aug 31, 2017
Well, I live in Santiago, so I just go 15 mins down the road, not Duarte. If you're going on to Puerto Plata or Sosua via Duarte, there is certainly a possibility someone is going to target you. Not that it happens all the time, considering the number of fliers. But a family of Dominicans visiting from the US was just accosted near La Vega on their way from the airport.

Reactions: Solar39
Jan 9, 2004
David,

Thanks for the speedy response. I thought there was only one way, and that would be to the Autopista Duarte? I will be going to Santiago, via El Monumento.
Your arrival time will be fine to travel. Lots of cars on the Autopista Duarte at that time of night. Now if you were arriving at 1,2,3,4 AM.............that might be a bit more concerning.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
One time I landed early in the morning (around 1 am) and as was leaving the airport a police pickup appeared with the sirens on. Stop right before the second speed bump. My uncle took care of talking with the "police," but they never approached the vehicle on foot. Instead through an intercom one of the "police" asked for someone to step out with their hands above his head, turn around and slowly approah their vehicle. In the end nothing happen, but my uncle did said that they asked where were we going and he said some town different and in the opposite direction from where we we actually going. That's the point, if stopped and asked where you're going, say somewhere else from where you are actually going especially at night.

Needless to say, that was and will continue to be the only arrival at night I'll do to the DR and departing too.

Solar39

Dec 13, 2010
Well, I live in Santiago, so I just go 15 mins down the road, not Duarte. If you're going on to Puerto Plata or Sosua via Duarte, there is certainly a possibility someone is going to target you. Not that it happens all the time, considering the number of fliers. But a family of Dominicans visiting from the US was just accosted near La Vega on their way from the airport.
Thanks!

Reactions: David B

Solar39

Dec 13, 2010
Your arrival time will be fine to travel. Lots of cars on the Autopista Duarte at that time of night. Now if you were arriving at 1,2,3,4 AM.............that might be a bit more concerning.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Very informative. Appreciate it.

Solar39

Dec 13, 2010
One time I landed early in the morning (around 1 am) and as was leaving the airport a police pickup appeared with the sirens on. Stop right before the second speed bump. My uncle took care of talking with the "police," but they never approached the vehicle on foot. Instead through an intercom one of the "police" asked for someone to step out with their hands above his head, turn around and slowly approah their vehicle. In the end nothing happen, but my uncle did said that they asked where were we going and he said some town different and in the opposite direction from where we we actually going. That's the point, if stopped and asked where you're going, say somewhere else from where you are actually going especially at night.

Needless to say, that was and will continue to be the only arrival at night I'll do to the DR and departing too.
That's what I want to avoid. Thanks for sharing.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Arrived many times in STI late at night, much later than 8, and drove home on the Puerto Plata road with zero issues----granted, not in a rental.

I would be fine driving a rental the 15 mn to Santiago at 8 in the evening, but thats just my opinion.

Solar39

Dec 13, 2010
Arrived many times in STI late at night, much later than 8, and drove home on the Puerto Plata road with zero issues----granted, not in a rental.

I would be fine driving a rental the 15 mn to Santiago at 8 in the evening, but thats just my opinion.
Great to hear.