DR1.com server capacity during storm

Administration

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
dr1.com
I've heard about dr1.com site capacity issues in the past, especially during hurricane/storm.

We should not have any issue, it's running on a different system, and we have the power to quickly (like 5 minutes within making the decision) double / quadruple (or more) capacity to meet surge in traffic demands.

Administration

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
dr1.com
2022-09-18_11-54.png

should have that option on the post editor?

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
I've heard about dr1.com site capacity issues in the past, especially during hurricane/storm.

We should not have any issue, it's running on a different system, and we have the power to quickly (like 5 minutes within making the decision) double / quadruple (or more) capacity to meet surge in traffic demands.
Never heard of this issue. Could be:
1. Local power is out so can't connect.
2. Local internet is out so... can't conect.
3. See 1 and 2. Both out.

Administration

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
dr1.com
it was before me, i don't know the specifics - but i know the previous system would take like a week to upgrade. The way it is set up now it can be scaled up within minutes.

Reactions: JD Jones

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013

Do you have backup and 2nd DNS server and use Cloudflare? If you do, you are all set.

Administration

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
dr1.com
Do you have backup and 2nd DNS server and use Cloudflare? If you do, you are all set.
I run four DNS servers. I started doing my own DNS in the 1990's when companies wanted $25 per domain for DNS. I was determined not to pay that crazy fee! I only run primary servers, i don't run slave servers, it's a waste of time configuring zone transfers and a bunch of network chatter. But I use Postgres db servers with streaming updates so I can do an update to all servers in about 5 seconds. I run short TTL in case I have to switch networks in a hurry, which has happened a few times in the past 20 something years. But today it's probably not likely to happen. Not a fan of cloudflare. This site used to be behind cloudflare a couple years ago, I had it on one of their competitors for several months but users were complaining about captchas and then sporadic unexplained downtime caused by the provider.

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
I run four DNS servers. I started doing my own DNS in the 1990's when companies wanted $25 per domain for DNS. I was determined not to pay that crazy fee! I only run primary servers, i don't run slave servers, it's a waste of time configuring zone transfers and a bunch of network chatter. But I use Postgres db servers with streaming updates so I can do an update to all servers in about 5 seconds. I run short TTL in case I have to switch networks in a hurry, which has happened a few times in the past 20 something years. But today it's probably not likely to happen. Not a fan of cloudflare. This site used to be behind cloudflare a couple years ago, I had it on one of their competitors for several months but users were complaining about captchas and then sporadic unexplained downtime caused by the provider.
Cool. I used run many servers, 100+ of them and ran my own DNS network and it was fun. $25? I though it was $45-50 way back in old days, remember Network Solutions? That is where I started with. I'm glad you have it all squared away. I usually run a server in US with at least 3-4 servers worldwide with DNS Clustering and Mapping and Load Balancing, it works well if first server is down. But with today technology, we are better off but you never know.