Shipping Personal Possessions as a New Citizen

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
When ex-pats become a resident they are afforded the opportunity to ship their stuff here ( personal items ) for no or very little tax correct?

My situation is a bit different I have a son who will be coming a Dominican citizen he is still a boy but I am curious if this rule could be applied to him as well as an edge case?
The possessions would be personal items of course sofas, televisions essentially "our" stuff would this be accepted? or is this one of those grey areas because of the age?

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I know that Dominicans residents abroad we are allowed to bring a moving container including a vehicle custom free once in life time.

JJ

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
@bachata oh really? I didn't know this - Sounds like something that we could use as my wife is Dominican.
Yes you can, the vehicle must be less than five years old and registered in her name for one year at least, not salvage title.

JJ

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
@bachata is that a verified requirement? does it need to be in her name for at least (1) year or can you purchase it then ship the next day ( for example)

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
@bachata is that a verified requirement? does it need to be in her name for at least (1) year or can you purchase it then ship the next day ( for example)
It doesn't work like that, must be one year personal vehicle.

JJ

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Example I would like to ship a vehicle to DR but I can't do it right now, I have three old cars on my name for long time but none of them qualifies.
2003 / 2006 year models.

JJ

Reactions: arete92

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I know of no exemption for simply becoming a "new" DR citizen.

As others pointed out there is the once in a lifetime exemption for a returning Dominican who is going back to live in the DR after residing outside the DR for a period of time and restrictions apply, especially regarding vehicles even on that.

Reactions: arete92

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
I know of no exemption for simply becoming a "new" DR citizen.

As others pointed out there is the once in a lifetime exemption for a returning Dominican who is going back to live in the DR after residing outside the DR for a period of time and restrictions apply, especially regarding vehicles even on that.
Mostly would be household stuff coming in, no vehicles. I will save that for my residency gift :)