Eggs

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
My refridgeration is a premium on board so ... let eggs warm to room temp. Thin film of petroleum jully and they keep well for a month. Could be more but haven't gone much past it.
I think the Colonials used Suett ? I know they stored like Potted meat in those clay pots and put a layer on top , preserved meat over winter ..

As to Eggs in Stores ... do Dominican STORE bought Egg Cartons have the JULIAN Date on them ?
I recall an article a while back that this is the date to look for , forget about SELL date , thats made up.
The Julian date is the key . pick the one with the biggest # . 1- 365 . which would be closest to your calendar Date .
I think its the Law in the US , but not sure about DR ..

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
The ones I buy always have a sticker with a date in the near future on it, so sell by, not Julian.

I always look for ones that have the furthest date in the future. Same for cottage cheese, brownies, orange juice (at times) and all the other items I purchase

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The ones I buy always have a sticker with a date in the near future on it, so sell by, not Julian.

I always look for ones that have the furthest date in the future. Same for cottage cheese, brownies, orange juice (at times) and all the other items I purchase
I heard that some of the supermarkets re-date their pre-sliced meat's and cheese's packages each morning.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I heard that some of the supermarkets re-date their pre-sliced meat's and cheese's packages each morning.
Could be, but more and more producers are switching to printed dates instead of the stickers.

Another common practice is to put dates far in the future. The Touyafan pita breads are a good example. They're also supposed to be kept refrigerated but most supermarkets have them at ambient temperature. (I called their bakery in the states and got to talk with a son of the owners and he told me that)

At Sirena it's easy to find them past their "consume by" date on the shelves.

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
I think the Colonials used Suett ? I know they stored like Potted meat in those clay pots and put a layer on top , preserved meat over winter ..

As to Eggs in Stores ... do Dominican STORE bought Egg Cartons have the JULIAN Date on them ?
I recall an article a while back that this is the date to look for , forget about SELL date , thats made up.
The Julian date is the key . pick the one with the biggest # . 1- 365 . which would be closest to your calendar Date .
I think its the Law in the US , but not sure about DR ..
Yeah, rendered it down to an oil and covered the meat before closing up the barrel. Supposed to still be good after a few months. Quality is questionable however, and I wont try it.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
In the DR they sit in the pantry. In Canada they have to go in the fridge as all supermarkets refrigerate them. If you are in doubt if eggs are still good, gently set them in room temp water. If it floats it usually means gas has formed in the egg and it's going bad. Good eggs sink, bad eggs float.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Hi Everyone!!!!

uff havent been on here for years, could be a decade!! Great stuff about the eggs.

Angela

Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Hi; refresh my memory....dont remember working on a kitchen. :)

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I just came back from BRAVO, and they have Westby Cottage Cheese from Wisconsin. Just as good as Breakstone if not better. Small curd.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I'm not a cottage cheese fan but I just got back from Bravo in San Isidro and once again they have smoked gouda. My absolutest favoritest cheese.
I've seen that a couple of times now. I almost grabbed one the other day.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
No yolk - I like my eggs white, not brown, and never green Dr. Seus. Always with some Siracha sauce on top, over-easy of scrambled, with a slab of ham and hashbrowns
Seems we are down to these kind of topics or we are sent to the Sin Bin?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
164 pesos for 0.46 pounds. Life's little pleasures.
Not really that bad. Cheese is expensive and good cheese is sometimes hard to find in DR. One of my favorites is Swiss, I rarely find it.

While we’ve been gone, two new supermarkets opened in San Cristobal, looking forward to seeing what they have, after years of La Sirena (or driving to SD)

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Not really that bad. Cheese is expensive and good cheese is sometimes hard to find in DR. One of my favorites is Swiss, I rarely find it.

While we’ve been gone, two new supermarkets opened in San Cristobal, looking forward to seeing what they have, after years of La Sirena (or driving to SD)
Both Jumbo and Nacional have packaged Swiss (10 slices } for sale at about 170 rd. The store brand I believe.