2022 Hurricane Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
No
the rain loads are pushed forward by TD9, they are located W of the surface pressure system,
so for most part they already passed the longitude of our DR Territory.
Once a future TS would have grouped rain loads on it's NE and E, then some of it could reach as far E as Barahona,
but it does not look like anything for DR Soil.
You never know. I mean, never predict about mother nature, you know how they do. It's dangerous to predict.

Reactions: aarhus
Aug 31, 2011
I'm curious as to why one would need to wash the bedding at a resort(?). I've never once thought about where the nearest laundry was when I went to a resort hotel on vacation.
We live in the Samaná area where the hurricane took it all the electricity. So... After helping many people move debris, my husband is coming to airport to pick me up. Bringing the laundry because when we return to Samaná, we STILL may not have electricity to wash. Many if our neighbors do not even have water. 🥺

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
We live in the Samaná area where the hurricane took it all the electricity. So... After helping many people move debris, my husband is coming to airport to pick me up. Bringing the laundry because when we return to Samaná, we STILL may not have electricity to wash. Many if our neighbors do not even have water. 🥺
I've been through six hurricanes, so I know what you're going through. I think all of those resorts have backup generators, so they should be able to wash the sheets.

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
Seen many storms over the years and a Cat 1 is a shocking event but not really a house buster more of a garden buster. Not surprised PC airport were up so quickly considering all the money they have. Like always the very poor suffer most but then again we are in the middle of hurricane alleyway and considering all were very lucky again

Have you seen the homes and businesses on YouTube in Las Terrenas after Fiona swept through? Our friends and neighbors are stunned.

Nobody thought a Cat1 could do such damage to the structures, the environment and the beaches.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Have you seen the homes and businesses on YouTube in Las Terrenas after Fiona swept through? Our friends and neighbors are stunned.

Nobody thought a Cat1 could do such damage to the structures, the environment and the beaches.
a Cat1 hurricane could even be more destructive.
Look what Tropical Storm Sandy did to the USA, and that was just a TS Force.

Reactions: cavok and aarhus

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
This should be a lesson for those that are considering where to live in the DR.
I chose against the south and east coasts after I studied the possibilities.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
This should be a lesson for those that are considering where to live in the DR.
I chose against the south and east coasts after I studied the possibilities.
It is not simply just about the " Region".
I live on the SE on my 28th consecutive year now and so far no harm done.
It is about the exact location as to no river/muddy hill etc etc near your house
And of course it is about HOW you build your home, what kind of home you rent.
We spent the time of Fiona here in the SE in a Apt Rental, safe built and zero troubles aside of the blackout.
And I just recently bought(1 year ago) a Ranch up on the windy hills between Veron and La Otra Banda and very recently built the first buildings ad structures there. while neighboured houses and even " concrete walls" in the near neigbourhood went flying, zero harm to my constructions at the same location.
We only lost some very recently(1 week before the storm) freshly planted small trees and bushes, but the wooden houses and also the new built big Palm Leafs palappa, everything constructed solely by Wood and Palm Leafes, zero damages.
So I guess it makes a difference how/who built your place, aside of location.
28 years and counting, I would def not move out of here to the North Coast.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
It is not simply just about the " Region".
I live on the SE on my 28th consecutive year now and so far no harm done.
It is about the exact location as to no river/muddy hill etc etc near your house
And of course it is about HOW you build your home, what kind of home you rent.
We spent the time of Fiona here in the SE in a Apt Rental, safe built and zero troubles aside of the blackout.
And I just recently bought(1 year ago) a Ranch up on the windy hills between Veron and La Otra Banda and very recently built the first buildings ad structures there. while neighboured houses and even " concrete walls" in the near neigbourhood went flying, zero harm to my constructions at the same location.
We only lost some very recently(1 week before the storm) freshly planted small trees and bushes, but the wooden houses and also the new built big Palm Leafs palappa, everything constructed solely by Wood and Palm Leafes, zero damages.
So I guess it makes a difference how/who built your place, aside of location.
28 years and counting, I would def not move out of here to the North Coast.

Surely you also can't take hurricanes into account as the only factor in choosing where to live, given that DR has historically had a very easy ride compared to other places. I wouldn't want to live outside of a big city because I get bored easily and each time I've been to places like Cabarete I'm bored in a couple of days. Horses for courses.

In truth, most people reading this have the money to not be affected too badly by a hurricane. If a force 5 hit was imminent, we would all be able to up and leave, and we all live in proper houses. It's always the poorest who live in the shacks by the rivers that suffer most.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
He responded on WhatsApp today, no internet and dealing with some things. I’ll leave that to him to explain if he chooses when he’s back here. I was happy to hear from him.
Thank you all for the concern

The storm didn’t do that much damage … couple trees down and lots of debris

Sometime on Monday night , I went to the bathroom and fell
10 stitches in my head and cracked ribs….. don’t ever ask for cracked ribs !!
Makes life very difficult

Been To my locals and then Clinica Abreu for the ribs
Not much to be done…. Pain is high, sleeping a nightmare…hahaha

Still no internet at home, the batteries & planta kept me going…. Still are
Power not back yet on the street

Again, thank you

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003

I had a triple rib fracture in the same accident that mangled my leg. Was alone in Puerto Plata and getting in and out of bed was so incredibly painful that I slept in my office chair for a month. I put it at the end of my bed, got my legs onto the bed and then tipped the chair back as far as it would go. I was flat on my back without the pain caused by getting in and out of bed. The tipping mechanism took the pressure off my torso and eliminated most of the pain.

If you have an office chair, try it to see if that works for you.

Also, I can tell you that by 4 weeks past the injury the fractures had healed enough that every change of position was no longer torture.

• Wow
Reactions: JD Jones
Aug 21, 2007

Again, thank you
Glad you are okay. Sorry about the fall. Take good care and hope the pain lessens eventually, as La Profe said.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun

Again, thank you
ouch, I can feel your pain.
I fell exactly 3 weeks agon, over my left eye 8 stitches which been completely painless and long healed by now,
and I fucked my 3 upper ribbs on my left side, by running my on left ellbow into the ribbs on touch down.
I had a shoot wound twice in my life, I crashed a race acr on 250kmphr and i went flying off a race motorbike on 180kmphr,
But Now, simply falling and hitting my own ribbs, Now I know what pain is.
Since only 2 days my pain is fine enough so i can move around freely and hold a beer even in my left hand without big pain, lol.
tips to get it done quicker than i got it done:
buy at any pharmacy a " Bola de Golpe", costs 100 pesos, drop it in 1.5 Liters of hot water, let it cool down on room temperature and drink 4 times a day/every 6hrs one coffee cup of it for 3 days, it is really a inner pain reliefer.
In addition, use the Voltaren Forte creme, put it on the painful area 2-3 times a day.
I got it from my Doc, so i don't know what it costs or if you need a prescription or can buy it at any pharmacy.
when i started to use both together, my pain was done for most part in a couple days already.
of course the whole healing takes muc longer, I still dont use my home gym after 3 weeks and now i am anyways in germany at my parents place without a gym til october 19th,
so there is hope that I come back home to the Island in 3 1/2 more weeks without pain and can run around and do what i want without any pain then, there is hope.
But Man, fucked up ribbs are the real pain to feel, you can't laugh, you can't cough, even breathing air is a focking painful thing.

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
a Cat1 hurricane could even be more destructive.
Look what Tropical Storm Sandy did to the USA, and that was just a TS Force.
I was there and it was awful. It actually caused damaged to many NJ Transit passenger cars and they lost lots of them and also it damaged the tunnels too and took them almost 9 months to fix it. TS force winds are amazing than cat 1.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012

Again, thank you
Sorry to hear of your fall. Get well soon.

Reactions: windeguy

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Surely you also can't take hurricanes into account as the only factor in choosing where to live, given that DR has historically had a very easy ride compared to other places. I wouldn't want to live outside of a big city because I get bored easily and each time I've been to places like Cabarete I'm bored in a couple of days. Horses for courses.

In truth, most people reading this have the money to not be affected too badly by a hurricane. If a force 5 hit was imminent, we would all be able to up and leave, and we all live in proper houses. It's always the poorest who live in the shacks by the rivers that suffer most.
Hurricanes are not the only reason, but it was a very significant reason that I chose the north coast and not the east or the south of the DR.
The chance of reasonably frequent hurricane strikes ruled out those locations for me.

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
I too fell - hit my head , very sore but no stiches - slipped on wet tile - no looking into how to fix a whole house of tile - etching, non slip, or just rip it all out . Anyone with ideas ?????

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I too fell - hit my head , very sore but no stiches - slipped on wet tile - no looking into how to fix a whole house of tile - etching, non slip, or just rip it all out . Anyone with ideas ?????

I would recommend these guys, their products really do work. I have used one in a bathroom with a wet-room with a slippery floor and it immediately solved the problem.

Reactions: AlterEgo
Status
Not open for further replies.