Long Term Rental Rates - OMG!

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
The people who join the FB DR expat groups are partly to blame. I can't tell you how many times I've seen somebody post "Looking for an apartment for 2 months. My budget is 2K a month."

You can hear the "realtors" jumping on those folks.
No kidding. They’re feasting on it.

If you go on AiBnb and search long term rentals in Sosua/ Cabarete, the only availability under $1000 per month are “private rooms” in shared accommodations.

A quick glance just now and prices for 1-2 bedrooms seem to be averaging $2000-$4000 per month.

People are fed up with various pandemic related stressors. They’ve left their home country and see a 2 bedroom apartment with a pool for $3500/month, compare it to their condo in Toronto, and think they’ve got a steal of a deal.

• Wow
Reactions: JD Jones and cavok

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
$3500/month? I know people in Toronto, etc.... $3500.00 is no way a "deal" in DR.
I think the appeal of a pool, laundry service, weekly cleaning, security etc. and other perks in some complexes has resulted in higher rentals prices. $3500 might be a bit of an exaggeration, but check the north coast long term rental prices AirBnb.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
The local Facebook sites still have decent rentals within reasonable prices.

But people from abroad using sites like VRBO and AirBnb are looking at a very high price range for long term rentals.

Many will never go for the asking prices but the increase within the past 3 months is not proportionate to high season or building material costs. Some must be going for the asking prices though.

Reactions: JD Jones

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
No kidding. They’re feasting on it.

If you go on AiBnb and search long term rentals in Sosua/ Cabarete, the only availability under $1000 per month are “private rooms” in shared accommodations.

A quick glance just now and prices for 1-2 bedrooms seem to be averaging $2000-$4000 per month.

People are fed up with various pandemic related stressors. They’ve left their home country and see a 2 bedroom apartment with a pool for $3500/month, compare it to their condo in Toronto, and think they’ve got a steal of a deal.
My wife's Airbnb's are now $500 and $600 US (plus Airbnb's fees to the renter). They are all private with no shared bathrooms.
The "only" availability under $1,000 a month is NOT only private rooms with shared accommodations.
If what you say were true that one bedroom apartments were all $2,000 and up on the north coast, she would be swamped with interest at her prices, yet only occasional interest now. Back when the listings were first made at the start of Airbnb, there were three times as many clients that wanted to book as there were rooms practically year round. Those were the days.

I see it this way, there are orders of magnitude more people renting on Airbnb now than when her apartments were listed at the dawn of Airbnb time,. The prices will normalize if they want clients if people won't pay them. Supply and demand.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
My wife's Airbnb's are now $500 and $600 US (plus Airbnb's fees to the renter). They are all private with no shared bathrooms.
The "only" availability under $1,000 a month is NOT only private rooms with shared accommodations.
If what you say were true that one bedroom apartments were all $2,000 and up on the north coast, she would be swamped with interest at her prices, yet only occasional interest now. Back when the listings were first made at the start of Airbnb, there were three times as many clients that wanted to book as there were rooms practically year round. Those were the days.

I see it this way, there are orders of magnitude more people renting on Airbnb now than when her apartments were listed at the dawn of Airbnb time,. The prices will normalize if they want clients if people won't pay them. Supply and demand.
Windy, does that include kitchen privileges? Can you send a link?

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012

Send me the link too please because they’re certainly not showing up for me.

Here are some screen shots from this morning.

Sosua & Cabarete Rentals on AirBnB

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Links sent via PM.

Airbnb uses an "algorithm" to get the most money from clients.

This. Hotel booking sites work exactly the same way. They work out how they will get the most commission and priorities those properties. The only way to use those sites is to be very strict with your filters. Say you want to pay a maximum of xx and you'll see properties that were previously hidden

Tradewinds

Oct 7, 2017
When prices get too high, crazy high in this case, travelers make new plans.
We're going to Thailand instead. Lots of affordable rentals and better food even though the beaches don't compare. The airfare is even $100 less than DR from Vancouver.

Maybe next year for the North Coast again, we'll see if sanity returns.
Thanks to everyone for the great advice. I'm glad I don't need to buy window screens either ;)

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
When prices get too high, crazy high in this case, travelers make new plans.
We're going to Thailand instead. Lots of affordable rentals and better food even though the beaches don't compare. The airfare is even $100 less than DR from Vancouver.

Maybe next year for the North Coast again, we'll see if sanity returns.
Thanks to everyone for the great advice. I'm glad I don't need to buy window screens either ;)
Buen viaje!

JJ