Sosúa Beach Renovations

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
On a side-note, since bachata mentioned Maimon, where I rent a modest home in the barrio, Playa Teco in Guzmancito, right over from the fish-places, has the authentic, crazy Dominican ambience and a beautiful beach. I realize it's not close to Sosua, nor Cabarete but at least I don't see the government wrecking that one any time soon.
Probably because few people go there and it's certainly not a hotspot for prostitution. LOL

I love that area - it's where my old farm is located.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
What is the BEST SEA FOOD RESTAURANT at Maimom ?.. this is the place right on the main Highway , correct.
Last time I stopped there it was the only Honest Place where when you pick out your Lobster , you get exactly that Cooked.
They seem to be very good at what they do.

The Place on Sosua Beach which used to be great, really great .. the guy literally did NOT put the Lobster I picked out in the Food .and charged us for it .
Some of the Vendors on Sosua Beach really do deserve to be put out of business .. they were great once, and we showed them Loyalty, how do they repay us when the times get tough , by CHEATING the few Customers they still have left . A couple of Beach vendors did that , to other guys I know as well . Its a Pattern .
Sorry for rant, but that really pissed me off .. and I will name the place ,because its True .. its the one with the BIG ROCK out front.. and the owner himself did it , I have never gone back since .

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
I have not seen anything yet on what the rent will be.
We will have to wait and see what the rental contract actually looks like.
And also what government loans are made.
Anything else is pure speculation.
I wonder if the vendors that rent chairs / umbrellas will be the same people that have the restaurants/bars on the beach when they occupy the new facilities?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Because prostitution is not the reason for the renovations.
Can we say "red herring".
Just follow the money. 🤑
That is all it is about.
Of course the mention of prostitution was paying lip service to the desired improvements to Sosua in general and is not a major factor in the beach renovation.

Reactions: jd426

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Probably because few people go there and it's certainly not a hotspot for prostitution. LOL
Perhaps you directed your comment at the wrong poster. 😂
Of course the mention of prostitution was paying lip service to the desired improvements to Sosua in general and is not a major factor in the beach renovation.
Thank you for making my point‼️

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Perhaps you directed your comment at the wrong poster. 😂

Thank you for making my point‼️
That said, reducing the visibility of prostitution in Sosua in general is an important factor for the big money to come in for places like Sosua beach, perhaps behind the beach, and discussions with other large hotel chains, etc..

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
That said, reducing the visibility of prostitution in Sosua in general is an important factor for the big money to come in for places like Sosua beach, perhaps behind the beach, and discussions with other large hotel chains, etc..
More said, prostitution is not visible in Sosua in general if you are not in the area where it is visible. Big Money should not need any help. In a capitalist economy you pays your money and takes your chances. When Big Money starts asking for help from the government for exceptions to the law...that is the base for corruption.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Because prostitution is not the reason for the renovations.
Can we say "red herring".
Just follow the money. 🤑
That is all it is about.
Tell David that:

Reactions: NY-DR Commuter

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
More said, prostitution is not visible in Sosua in general if you are not in the area where it is visible. Big Money should not need any help. In a capitalist economy you pays your money and takes your chances. When Big Money starts asking for help from the government for exceptions to the law...that is the base for corruption.
I will let others debate whatever exceptions to the law are happening in other threads since this is about getting those with money to invest on Sosua beach and Sousa in general.

That said, if you are in an area where prostitution is visible, then that is and has been a problem for many years for the Dominican Government with Sosua being a prime location for the government to focus. The government focuses on this because they have discussions with companies that want to locate their businesses in the area but refused to make the move until that prostitution is reduced significantly in visibility. The government has been painfully aware of this for many years. It is not about eliminating prostitution as others misstate so frequently.

If you don't understand that big business runs the world, and that appearances are important, then you will constantly be frustrated when you think there is "another way" that things "should" work.

Reactions: bachata

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Tell David that:

As I said, "David" pays lip service to the issue of prostitution because big money wants it reduced in visibility before they invest, therefor the government wants that visibility reduced. I am not sure how I can make that more clear. It is a VERY simple concept.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I will let others debate whatever exceptions to the law are happening in other threads since this is about getting those with money to invest on Sosua beach and Sousa in general.
I am uncertain what you are referring to. I am not debating anyone. And this thread is not about getting those with money to invest on Sosua beach and in Sosua in general. This thread is about comments on the Sosúa beach renovations.
That said, if you are in an area where prostitution is visible, then that is and has been a problem for many years for the Dominican Government with Sosua being a prime location for the government to focus. The government focuses on this because they have discussions with companies that want to locate their businesses in the area but refused to make the move until that prostitution is reduced significantly in visibility. The government has been painfully aware of this for many years. It is not about eliminating prostitution as others misstate so frequently.
Stipulated.

But it does not seem to be a problem with the Dominican Government until Big Money shows up. Even a one-eyed man can see that. And from what I understand this has been a work in progress for many years. As the visibility has decreased in a dramatic fashion as I am told by those with more time and experience with Sosua.
Do you agree or disagree with the assertion that Sosua beach has visible prostitution over the many years it has existed❓
If you don't understand that big business runs the world, and that appearances are important, then you will constantly be frustrated when you think there is "another way" that things "should" work.
Are you questioning my intelligence ❓
Just because you do not agree with my opinions or world view does not make me anymore intelligent than you.
Because I am just commenting on the what I see and what I think.
I am not Big Money.
Nor do I have it .
But if you don't understand that is a forum to share opinions and not your personal platform to shove yours down the throats of others....then you are always going to be frustrated when you read that "others" don't share your opinions or think things "should" work differently that you think they do.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am uncertain what you are referring to. I am not debating anyone. And this thread is not about getting those with money to invest on Sosua beach and in Sosua in general. This thread is about comments on the Sosúa beach renovations.
Yes, but David pointed out that there was still some work to do with regards to prostitution at the same time he was addressing work to be done on the renovations of Sosua beach. Once again, lip service to the big money that he hears them.
Stipulated.

But it does not seem to be a problem with the Dominican Government until Big Money shows up. Even a one-eyed man can see that. And from what I understand this has been a work in progress for many years. As the visibility has decreased in a dramatic fashion as I am told by those with more time and experience with Sosua.
Do you agree or disagree with the assertion that Sosua beach has visible prostitution over the many years it has existed❓
The simple idea is this: Big money runs the world. With my very limited number of times on Sosua beach, less than 10 times in 20 years. I have no idea if prostitution is flagrantly visible there at this time. Others will have to discuss that. There are a number of news reports on big money people visiting the Sosua area. They seemed to not like the prostitution they saw. The DR government gets very annoyed by the whoremonger Vloggers. As for the amount of prostitution directly on the beach, I think it was just lip service as I have said now more than once.
Are you questioning my intelligence ❓
Just because you do not agree with my opinions or world view does not make me anymore intelligent than you.
Because I am just commenting on the what I see and what I think.
I am not Big Money.
Nor do I have it .
But if you don't understand that is a forum to share opinions and not your personal platform to shove yours down the throats of others....then you are always going to be frustrated when you read that "others" don't share your opinions or think things "should" work differently that you think they do.
Nope. I am just wondering why people cannot get a simple concept that big money influences government decisions. Once I learned that very simple concept, things become much more clear to me. Big money from various companies have had discussions about Sosua with the DR government and we have seen the experiments the DR government tried to reduce the visibility of prostitution in Sosua over recent times. I am quite sure there will be more such experiments including after the work is done on Sosua beach

It is not my agenda to eliminate totally, diminish or augment or keep prostitution the same. I am not pushing anything on anyone in that regard.
My opinion is that consenting adults can do whatever they want.

I am commenting on what big money and the DR government are doing in their attempts to get more investment in Sosua.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Yes, but David pointed out that there was still some work to do with regards to prostitution at the same time he was addressing work to be done on the renovations of Sosua beach. Once again, lip service to the big money that he hears them.
Stipulated
The simple idea is this: Big money runs the world. With my very limited number of times on Sosua beach, less than 10 times in 20 years. I have no idea if prostitution is flagrantly visible there at this time. Others will have to discuss that. There are a number of news reports on big money people visiting the Sosua area. They seemed to not like the prostitution they saw. The DR government gets very annoyed by the whoremonger Vloggers. As for the amount of prostitution directly on the beach, I think it was just lip service as I have said now more than once.
Stipulated
Nope. I am just wondering why people cannot get a simple concept that big money influences government decisions. Once I learned that very simple concept, things become much more clear to me. Big money from various companies have had discussions about Sosua with the DR government and we have seen the experiments the DR government tried to reduce the visibility of prostitution in Sosua over recent times. I am quite sure there will be more such experiments including after the work is done on Sosua beach
Stipulated
It is not my agenda to eliminate totally, diminish or augment or keep prostitution the same. I am not pushing anything on anyone in that regard.
My opinion is that consenting adults can do whatever they want.
Understood
I am commenting on what big money and the DR government are doing in their attempts to get more investment in Sosua.
And I am doing the same thing.
Big Money should not need any help. In a capitalist economy you pays your money and takes your chances. When Big Money starts asking for help from the government for exceptions to the law...that is the base for corruption.
I heard Big Money (in addition to asking for prostitution to be less visible on the beach) they are also asking for 1/2 to 1/3 of the beach to be given to them for their private use (unsubstantiated). This is what I am referring to as exceptions to the law and how Big Money corrupts.

Some of y'all out there got it twisted. Out of all the beaches in the Dominican Republic I could care less about access to Sosua Beach as long as I get to continue to look out over it from Pirates Bay while enjoying the excellent meals I eat there. There are so many truly great beaches that I have been to in the Dominican Republic that I would prefer sit on and allow the troubles of my life to drift away while I enjoy my Seagrams Escape.

You are not the first person to question my understanding of life in the Dominican Republic on DR1. And I doubt if you will the last. But now at least we have an understanding and maybe even a little agreement.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Vegas, I completely agree with the food and view from Pirates Bay (and alternatively Michael's Stone on the other side above Sosua beach which we frequent) and the food. I had no idea that place existed until a bass player told me of Pirates Bay. We agree on that.

Big money will not be "given" a part of the beach. The beaches are public and access from one part of Sosua Beach to another contiguous section cannot legally be blocked in the DR. Should that be attempted it must fail.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Are you actually saying that the Single Dudes pursuing the queens ( a lot of them are pretty big dudes btw, you know that )
are BLENDING IN, and not visible to most everyone ?

never mind the fact that they are still making their U Tube videos after every trip , to re Celebrate their Masculine Prowess and Celebrity Status in " The SUUUU"..

not trying to be a jerk, just found your statement kind of amusing

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Are you actually saying that the Single Dudes pursuing the queens ( a lot of them are pretty big dudes btw, you know that )
No...I am not saying that. YOU are saying that. It is impolite at best and passive/aggressive at worst to put words into somebody else's mouth. I am not making a statement about the state of your mental health. I just described how your statement came across to me.

What I am saying is just like in the city that I placed in my handle (think strip in Las Vegas where locals only goto to work, when visitors are in town, and to see a show) there is an ENTIRE town in which to venture forth where you will not see any prostitution (think strip in Sosua). Out in the real part of town in both places is where regular people spend their time.

Do you find this statement to be amusing also ❓
never mind the fact that they are still making their U Tube videos after every trip , to re Celebrate their Masculine Prowess and Celebrity Status in " The SUUUU"..
Sorry, I know nothing about that. As you seem to be our DR1 local expert on YouTube videos containing that content...I will bow down to your superior knowledge here and stipulate to your statement.

Still even if that is true...only those looking for that material will be able to find it.
I do not believe they are playing the videos in POP as you exit the airport.
Yes, I know.
You are simply sharing your opinion.
When any of your posts show "jerkiness "...I hold on to my computer tightly and readjust my glasses to make sure I understand your true meaning. ;)

Maybe I should consider performing stand up comedy?
Shall I continue to test my material out on you?
😂

Big

Apr 24, 2019

those girls standing around day and night, every day, rain or shine are Sosua ambassadors. The gentleman standing around on every corner with baseball jerseys are "investors".

Lou2100

Sep 21, 2020
Toronto

" a lot of them are pretty big dudes" was/is an understatement. And those that are not big , low low self esteem.
Based on observation and research and the one time I was suckered/tricked/bamboozled into having breakfast at new garden 7 years ago.
Worse eggs I ever saw in my life and conversation made me wish I was married so I could have been at home reading the newspaper and listening to the comfort of white noise.

white noise= noise containing many frequencies with equal intensities.

Reactions: windeguy and jd426