Sosúa Beach Renovations

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
I think both of you are pressing your luck. Take a moto.
At 8pm, walking Pedro Clisante with POLITUR present at every corner chasing prostitutes, bars open and restaurants open and colmados open, the new big supermarket open, and barber shops and hair salons at every corner still humming, that street is bustling with people. Anywhere up to the point of Velvet Cafe (deputy mayor's place) is as safe as an American can be in DR at that time of evening. And I'm before Velvet Cafe.

Plus I NEVER get on a moto. It's walk or drive for me.

If it rains or I think it's going to rain then I drive home or if I left vehicle at home, wife will come pick me up.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
At 8pm, walking Pedro Clisante with POLITUR present at every corner chasing prostitutes, bars open and restaurants open and colmados open, the new big supermarket open, and barber shops and hair salons at every corner still humming, that street is bustling with people. Anywhere up to the point of Velvet Cafe (deputy mayor's place) is as safe as an American can be in DR at that time of evening. And I'm before Velvet Cafe.

If it rains or I think it's going to rain then I drive home or if I left vehicle at home, wife will come pick me up.
POLITUR present at every corner chasing prostitutes? I'll have to see it to believe it. And you said there are more than ever. Doesn't sound like they're doing a very good job.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I have never felt unsafe. Been walking it for many years...I have lots of friends I visit along the way.
Chrisgy just got done posting that there are more hardcore prostitutes than ever there. That sure doesn't sound like some street where I'd like to go for a nice even stroll. Sosua isn't exactly Martha's Vineyard. Weren't some pretty big dudes help up and robbed there at night not too long ago?

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Chrisgy just got done posting that there are more hardcore prostitutes than ever there. That sure doesn't sound like some street where I'd like to go for a nice even stroll. Sosua isn't exactly Martha's Vineyard. Weren't some pretty big dudes help up and robbed there at night not too long ago?
The girls don't bother me. Jeez, I walk around in Charamicos at night as I have a few favorite Colmados there. Anyhow, we all have our comfort zones. All good.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-

Gotta jump on the bandwagon with you @chrisgy

The only people that might feel scare walking in those areas is a married man in a traditional relationship that didn't trust himself.
Or someone who is afraid of their own shadow.

Your description is 💯 and 🎯

Those who are scared...well there is expression that I can't use here...but involves attending a certain type of social gathering.
They can often help with that.

Reactions: bachata

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I meet some locals who have lived in Sosua for decade, retired Santiagueros whom after living in the US returned to DR.
They told me that not regret about making the move to Sosua enstead of Santiago. Sosua is 90% more safe than Santiago or Santo Domingo.
I feel the same way!

JJ

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Gotta jump on the bandwagon with you @chrisgy

The only people that might feel scare walking in those areas is a married man in a traditional relationship that didn't trust himself.
Didn't you read how he described them? You'd have to be miserably married and beyond desperate to be tempted by anything walking down PC these days.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I just love hearing all these people talking about how safe it is here as they sit in their house with a shotgun in their lap, bars on all the windows and doors, two rottweilers out front in the yard, and razor wire on top of the wall. Yep, just like home!
Mr C,. I have been strolling (or is it trolling) the streets of that town for over a decade. Never had one problem. P.D everywhere, they unfortunately like to shake down the chicas. The main danger is getting hit by a speeding moto. Nothing like Santo Dom where you must be cautious. The bars and restaurants are very safe. The chicas don't want to get caught pick pocketing and get banned so they most often ply their trade w/o stealing.

Reactions: David B

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I just love hearing all these people talking about how safe it is here as they sit in their house with a shotgun in their lap, bars on all the windows and doors, two rottweilers out front in the yard, and razor wire on top of the wall. Yep, just like home!
Mr C,. I have been strolling (or is it trolling) the streets of that town for over a decade. Never had one problem. P.D everywhere, they unfortunately like to shake down the chicas. The main danger is getting hit by a speeding moto. Nothing like Santo Dom where you must be cautious. The bars and restaurants are very safe. The chicas don't want to get caught pick pocketing and get banned so they most often ply their trade w/o stealing.
Didn't you read how he described them? You'd have to be miserably married and beyond desperate to be tempted by anything walking down PC these days.
I am not married. So I have nothing from which to relate to the example you gave.
I meet some locals who have lived in Sosua for decade, retired Santiagueros whom after living in the US returned to DR.
They told me that not regret about making the move to Sosua enstead of Santiago. Sosua is 90% more safe than Santiago or Santo Domingo.
I feel the same way!

JJ
Choose who you care to believe @cavok.
My advice to anyone is to take the measures and actions that make them feel safer (as if there is a safe place in the world).
That being said, I am not one to tell anyone what those measures should be or where they should go.

Will the Sosúa Beach Renovations address the problem that some perceive in their heads ❓
🤷‍♂️

I feel completely safe on the streets and the areas being discussed.
And I've already made a suggestion for what scared individuals can do.
But some have more extreme needs for safety (reference is made to post #272). 😂

Reactions: ramesses

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I am not married. So I have nothing from which to relate to the example you gave.
Me either, but it was your assertion that married men would be afraid they would be tempted. If not married, how would you know?

"Will the Sosúa Beach Renovations address the problem that some perceive in their heads "❓

I have no idea(?). And that's their problem - not mine.

I feel completely safe on the streets and the areas being discussed.
And I've already made a suggestion for what scared individuals can do.
But some have more extreme needs for safety (reference is made to post #272). 😂
If you look around, you will see that almost all houses and stores have bars on their windows and doors including pretty much 100% of all Dominicans. Many of those houses and apartment complexes and hotels also have razor wire on top of high walls. Why would that be? I'll give you a hint - it's not for decoration.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Me either, but it was your assertion that married men would be afraid they would be tempted. If not married, how would you know?

"Will the Sosúa Beach Renovations address the problem that some perceive in their heads "❓

I have no idea(?). And that's their problem - not mine.

If you look around, you will see that almost all houses and stores have bars on their windows and doors including pretty much 100% of all Dominicans. Many of those houses and apartment complexes and hotels also have razor wire on top of high walls. Why would that be? I'll give you a hint - it's not for decoration.

I think Burglary , which you are giving examples of with the Razor wire, and Bars on Windows etc , is a completely different Animal from being MUGGED/ Attacked while simply walking down a Street ., unless of course you are very drunk and staggering , then you are a walking Target .
but a regular Person walking down a dark Street in Sosua , its pretty rare to get picked out for a Mugging or worse .
I would feel safer Walking Sosua at Night , than NYC .. It may FEEL dangerous because of the strange Noises etc , but Statistically its pretty safe .
Santo Domingo OTOH, as was said earlier , has some very DANGEROUS streets you would not walk around at night , period .

jd_mine

Sep 24, 2003
Vegas, people, mainly whoremongers, said Sosua will disappear in a puff of smoke if the whoremongering situation is cleaned up.
D'arcy says it is now 95% cleaned up and he is an expert on whoremongering, yet Sosua did not disappear.
No, but if I can believe the Youtube vids I see now, it does now resemble a Philadelphia hood/slum.
At least 20 years ago even with all the hookers it looked lively and tropical.

jd_mine

Sep 24, 2003
Allegedly the money for the renovations has already been appropriated.
Except that with current inflation and recession incoming that appropriated money will now not cover half of the originally estimated cost and furthermore might be needed for more important things like survival of current assets and investments,

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

The waiting is the hardest part:

September 7, 2022​

What will happen to Playa Sosúa Sosúa

Civil society organizations are anxiously awaiting what will happen to Playa Sosúa. They don't want the beach to remain in the disordered state it is in now due to private interests. This was emphasized by the journalist Daniel Mercado, General Secretary of ADOMPRETUR (Asociación Dominicana de Prensa Turística, Dominican Association of Tourist Press) of the Sosúa Cabarete Department. There is still hope that the whole city and the tourists can enjoy a clean, orderly beach again. Mercado, stated that the beach's condition continues to deteriorate from erosion due to the construction of a stone wall. Probably built by foreigners. It might be a reason to check the status of the foreigners and see if they are authorized to run a business. Another evil Mercado is targeting is the relocation of prostitution from Pedro Clisante Street to the beach, making the beach famous for its beauty practically a brothel full of prostitutes.​

What will happen to Playa Sosúa Sosúa

What will happen to Playa Sosúa Sosúa​

He argued that the private interests of a group occupying the area of approximately 900 linear meters of beach should not hold back the government's investment of approximately 600 million pesos to restore and renovate the greatest tourist asset of this iconic municipality. We are convinced that the time has come for Sosúa, in which the government and society agree on the implementation of the vital project for the long-awaited start in the tourist field of this municipality.​

• Wow
Reactions: bachata and cavok