Uber from STI

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Has anyone had a recent experience using an Uber from the airport in Santiago?
Good to see you again, haven't heard from you in long time.
If Uber doesn't works out you can book using EMI TAXI they have an application that works same as UBER the vehicles are in greater condition and reliables drivers.

JJ

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
I like this company better than Uber when I need a Taxi in Santiago.

JJ

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221012-085500.png
    Screenshot_20221012-085500.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 127

HS10

Feb 17, 2008
Last time I tried to take an UBER from STI to Sosua...this happened to me 3 times in a row.
The UBER arrived , I got in , they drove about 25 feet, then they told me I have to pay in cash and what the new price is (which was nothing like the app price).
Each time I got out.......After 3 times of the exact same thing I gave up and took a regular taxi.
(It's much better if a friend can pick you up :))

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Last time I tried to take an UBER from STI to Sosua...this happened to me 3 times in a row.
The UBER arrived , I got in , they drove about 25 feet, then they told me I have to pay in cash and what the new price is (which was nothing like the app price).
Each time I got out.......After 3 times of the exact same thing I gave up and took a regular taxi.
I hope you filed a complaint with UBER each time.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
I have also given up on Uber leaving STI. The driver accepted, then messaged me a new price, and demanded cash. He canceled when I refused, and the next driver did the same. This happened on two separate occasions. I had no issue with paying cash, I was planning on it, but the 1,000 pesos extra made the taxi cheaper.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I have also given up on Uber leaving STI. The driver accepted, then messaged me a new price, and demanded cash. He canceled when I refused, and the next driver did the same. This happened on two separate occasions. I had no issue with paying cash, I was planning on it, but the 1,000 pesos extra made the taxi cheaper.
That's their system. Once you communicate with one, they'll be in touch with the other UBERs in the area to ensure everyone quotes the same.

100% guaranteed after dark, and a no-win situation.

Reactions: DR Dreamer

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
With so many options...reliable taxi companies and now the EMItaxi that Bachata recommended as well as private drivers why do so many people bother with trying to use Uber? The Dominican drivers are clearly not happy with the pricing structure, and have figured out how to screw people who refuse to accept their BS and lawlessness/blackmail plus the normal issues the taxi mafia has with Uber why put yourself at risk and set yourself up for frustration?

I go with the flow and of course normally have a private drive I know and trust, or other drivers they refer if they're busy, but I've taken the time to cultivate relationships. Even if I had not though, it would be siumple, akin to "child's play" to get a fair price from a taxi and be done with it

Airports are different, controlled more and are more expensive but...it's simply a cost of traveling to me. "If you can't beat them, join them....until you CAN beat them, and then....it should be obvious LOL

Apreton

Sep 26, 2004
I took Uber from STI to Sosua. It was 2000 pesos. The guy offered that I cancel the trip and pay him the same amount in cash. I was fine with it. He came to Sosua to take me back to STI when I was leaving for the same price. I flew to STI several times afterwards and had the same deal.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I took Uber from STI to Sosua. It was 2000 pesos. The guy offered that I cancel the trip and pay him the same amount in cash. I was fine with it. He came to Sosua to take me back to STI when I was leaving for the same price. I flew to STI several times afterwards and had the same deal.

We get the same deals here in the south. I have no clue if or how Uber is making a profit. I also can't understand how they don't know this is happening.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
We get the same deals here in the south. I have no clue if or how Uber is making a profit. I also can't understand how they don't know this is happening.

They do know. They recently updated their rules that states UBER drivers do not have to accept the published UBER rate and are free to negotiate a higher rate.

So now that they have been given the go ahead to negotiate/increase rates, they've taken it upon themselves get a higher rate, and then
screw UBER out of their commission anyway.

UBER to them is a way to find more fares for free.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Last time I was in Sto Dom, I hired my man (Uber) directly.
Called him with where I was going and when , he was at the curb..... I still have his number
Gave him about 500DOP/trip......Uber was just less than that, but he got to keep it all

As far as I know, he was happy..... kept showing up when asked

Reactions: JD Jones

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
They do know. They recently updated their rules that states UBER drivers do not have to accept the published UBER rate and are free to negotiate a higher rate.

So now that they have been given the go ahead to negotiate/increase rates, they've taken it upon themselves get a higher rate, and then
screw UBER out of their commission anyway.

UBER to them is a way to find more fares for free.
I don't see what is stopping Uber from dropping drivers with excessive cancellations. I know I would.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Last time I was in Sto Dom, I hired my man (Uber) directly.
Called him with where I was going and when , he was at the curb..... I still have his number
Gave him about 500DOP/trip......Uber was just less than that, but he got to keep it all

As far as I know, he was happy..... kept showing up when asked
I have done the same thing. San Isidro to Boca Chica once a week for me for 1k pesos. He pays the 60 peso toll. He's happy and doesn't share with Uber. We have also gotten to be very chummy.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Rellosk, hope you found the right person.
I would like to be your chauffeur and bodyguard in Santiago City again.

You was one of best customer!

JJ

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Good to see you again, haven't heard from you in long time.
If Uber doesn't works out you can book using EMI TAXI they have an application that works same as UBER the vehicles are in greater condition and reliables drivers.

JJ
Yes, it's been a very long time. I hope all is well with you and your family.

I'll look into EMI. Thanks!

Reactions: bachata

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I've had similar experiences with Uber in Puerto Plata. Uber would quote a ridiculously low rate (less than 20% of the taxi rate). The driver would then call me and say he couldn't do it for that price. We would than settle for a rate that was much less than the taxi rate. I would ask for the Dominican rate, not the tourist rate.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I've had similar experiences with Uber in Puerto Plata. Uber would quote a ridiculously low rate (less than 20% of the taxi rate). The driver would then call me and say he couldn't do it for that price. We would than settle for a rate that was much less than the taxi rate. I would ask for the Dominican rate, not the tourist rate.
Exactly. UBER changed their rules to settle the dispute with the taxis in Bavaro, IIRC. I get some drivers who will honor the UBER rate, but it's usually for short hops.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
That's an incredible rate! Do you have his contact info?