Cangrejos Bridge Has New Damage

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
45M is 147.637795 ft
That length of free span beam can be done. But they would have to be cast nearby as transportation of such long beams is not easy. Usually requires a steerable dolly in the rear.
They could set up just to the West of the bridge maybe in that new Montellano development which is all graded.
But the size of cranes required on each side of the river to lift this long of a beam I suspect are not available here.

It will be entertaining for all of us to see what unfolds

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Transportation isn't a problem. I see them coming out of the factory in Haina almost on a weekly basis.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Transportation isn't a problem. I see them coming out of the factory in Haina almost on a weekly basis.
150' concrete beams ? - I don't think you see them that long. But imagine transporting 6 or 8 of them all the way to Cangrejos.
Makes more sense, to me anyway, (and likely cheaper) to fabricate them nearby.

Bring in steel forms, pre-bent rebar, some skilled workers from Haina if you will, and pour and cure them within a mile of the project with a dedicated concrete mix from a local hormigon supplier.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
150' concrete beams ? - I don't think you see them that long. But imagine transporting 6 or 8 of them all the way to Cangrejos.

Bring in steel forms, pre-bent rebar, some skilled workers from Haina if you will, and pour and cure them within a mile of the project with a dedicated concrete mix from a local hormigon supplier.
Yep. Look up Samuel S. Conde on Google Earth and measure some of their molds. They make some enormous beams there.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Yep. Look up Samuel S. Conde on Google Earth and measure some of their molds. They make some enormous beams there.
I perhaps see some beams of 60 feet. The molds could definitely be longer, but they may pour multiple beams in them at once, not continuous.

There were some of 69' meters (226 feet) cast in the Netherlands a couple years ago but they weighed close to 300 tons each and required barge cranes of enormous size. They had to be transported by barge to the site as they could not go by road.

Certainly they could pour pre-cambered, pre-stressed (maybe post-tension) beams to span abutments. We will see.
But I would still question they would want to haul them from SD.

Reactions: JD Jones

nothing to ad

Jan 10, 2022
puerto plata

that long they need prestresesed cable in side of them that could be a problem getting the machine up here

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Residents in the Sosua / Cabarete area should get ready for Cangrejo bridge demolition. so plan ahead of time your trips as demolition equipment should be arriving in the next weeks. Two huge cranes will be set up in both sides of the bridge in order to remove the old structure and beging the installation of the new ones after cement foundation is completed.
Constructora MAR is the contractor construction company that will be encharged of the works of the new bridge and the reconditioning of the secondary road or detour. The cost of both is about $135. Millions Pesos.

Good luck with that.

JJ
Word of mouth from a Sosúa - Puerto Plata driver, they were going to start the Bridge demolition like in next week. But they did a deal with the Airport and with the local transport "organizations" to not start until late January, to avoid the busiest weeks during the holidays.

Reactions: cavok and bachata

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Word of mouth from a Sosúa - Puerto Plata driver, they were going to start the Bridge demolition like in next week. But they did a deal with the Airport and with the local transport "organizations" to not start until late January, to avoid the busiest weeks during the holidays.

Good news, that's what I call common sense.

JJ

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
what happened to the " build a new one along side the old one then demolish the old one." That would have been too much common sense.

Reactions: jd426 and cavok

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
They have asphalted the entire detour and placed a center line down..... looks like sooner than later.... to any govt in the DR, Construction season needs to be part of High season....

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
They have asphalted the entire detour and placed a center line down..... looks like sooner than later.... to any govt in the DR, Construction season needs to be part of High season....
Why paint a centerline ? Is that so Taxis, and Public buses can straddle it ? No one here respects centerlines

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Still going to be CHAOS, every week you hear of a truck that's stuck on that very steep slope. So although it's not going to be like when they first closed the bridge and you could sometimes have to wait for hours, it's still most likely going to add 25-30 minutes. Potentially even more if they don't put DIGESETT or PN officers on that road to direct traffic because you KNOW that some idiot will go down the wrong path either because they want to go the "quick" way or just because of confusion.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Still going to be CHAOS, every week you hear of a truck that's stuck on that very steep slope. So although it's not going to be like when they first closed the bridge and you could sometimes have to wait for hours, it's still most likely going to add 25-30 minutes. Potentially even more if they don't put DIGESETT or PN officers on that road to direct traffic because you KNOW that some idiot will go down the wrong path either because they want to go the "quick" way or just because of confusion.
What will happen is the typical non-courteous drivers here will decide they are too important to stay in line and decide to pass into oncoming traffic on that narrow two lane road gumming up the works. Count on that

Reactions: drstock and cavok