DR Expels up to 700 Haitians Daily

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
The full article is behind a paywall

Haiti’s closest neighbor, the Dominican Republic, has intensified the expulsion of Haitians – sending at least 108,000 across the shared border this year – as its leaders insist they cannot be “asked to do more” to help Haiti.

A variety of organizations have provided an array of statistics about the number returned, with differences in the time periods they compiled information.

Between August and October, the DR repatriated 60,204 Haitians, bringing the total number for this year to 108,436, a spokesman for the DR President’s office, Homero Figueroa, said in a Nov.9 tweet.
An estimated 8,660 have been sent back across the border, with 1,500 turned away, in October alone, according to GARR, which in French stands for Support Group for Repatriated and Refugees, a watchdog and advocacy group. In the October report, GARR said the repatriated include 1,732 women, 6,442 men, 79 girls and 306 boys.
From Oct. 17 to 24, GARR reported, at least 5,000 Haitians were returned.
In all, GARR stated, between 300 and 700 Haitians are returned daily from various regional cities bordering the two countries, such as Cornillon, Savanette and Fonds-Verrettes, through the land border.
GARR said the DR is also violating repatriation rules between the two countries that ban repatriation after 6 p.m.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I subscribe - here it is.. (sourced I think from Listin Diario)
Haiti’s closest neighbor, the Dominican Republic, has intensified the expulsion of Haitians – sending at least 108,000 across the shared border this year – as its leaders insist they cannot be “asked to do more” to help Haiti.

A variety of organizations have provided an array of statistics about the number returned, with differences in the time periods they compiled information.

• Between August and October, the DR repatriated 60,204 Haitians, bringing the total number for this year to 108,436, a spokesman for the DR President’s office, Homero Figueroa, said in a Nov.9 tweet.
  • An estimated 8,660 have been sent back across the border, with 1,500 turned away, in October alone, according to GARR, which in French stands for Support Group for Repatriated and Refugees, a watchdog and advocacy group. In the October report, GARR said the repatriated include 1,732 women, 6,442 men, 79 girls and 306 boys.
  • From Oct. 17 to 24, GARR reported, at least 5,000 Haitians were returned.
  • In all, GARR stated, between 300 and 700 Haitians are returned daily from various regional cities bordering the two countries, such as Cornillon, Savanette and Fonds-Verrettes, through the land border.
GARR said the DR is also violating repatriation rules between the two countries that ban repatriation after 6 p.m.

“The places where the buses drop Haitians are not officially designated areas, which expose Haitians to multiple human’s rights violations,’’ a GARR representative said.

UN condemns, DR insists it’s been too supportive

The reports come days after the United Nations High Commissioner, Volker Turk, requested Nov. 10 that Dominican Republic president Luis Abinader stop the deportations of Haitians due to the “incessant armed violence and the systematic violations of human rights.”

In response, Abinader said the repatriation of Haitians living illegally in the country will continue and increase. He called Turk’s statements “irresponsible and unacceptable” and said “no other country in the world has been as supportive of Haiti, so the Dominican Republic cannot be asked for more.”

The exchanges between Turk and Abinader occurred just one day after the DR’s General Directorate of Migration announced it had repatriated 60,204 Haitian nationals between August 1 to October 31 through a series of nationwide operations.

Abinader said his government will not only continue with the deportations, but that it will increase them next week, the Dominican daily, El Listin Dario reported.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
The Haitian Times just received a grant to do some in-depth coverage of the Haiti/DR border/immigration issue ... And also has some very interesting articles from groups in the diaspora -- for folks who are really interested in the topic - the subscription is $60 a year/

Perhaps there is someone else who would be willing to pay that and clip and paste the articles on this board -- if there is an interest?

I am all involved over on Twitter with about 300 new Haitian followers -- hard for me to keep up with their conversations since I have to use a lot of Twitter translating from Kreyole - and lack a LOT of the references...,

Nevertheless - I persist.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Deporting illegals is all good and well ......

However the problem runs much deeper when a couple hundred pesos gets you right back across the border into the DR, again, again, again.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Yet there are thousands of Americans, Canadians, Italians and Venezuelans living here illegally so why should they not be rounded up and deported also.
I think to answer that you might need to start a new tread? OP does not say the Haitians are illegal (" Deporting Haitians").You are introducing that here by (like another member of this board) ASSumes they are ""illegal). Now you want to bring into play all foreigners yet you have no evidence , they are illegal in the DR.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
How do you know they aren't?
I do not know for a fact but no one mentions that any other nationality is being targeted in the papers or sites ,, the hostility is only against our neighbours and it is our neighbours who are living in desperate times and in my opinion need all the help that we can give them. In many ways we should be like Poland taking in millions of Ukrainians in their agonizing time but we are not .

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I do not know for a fact but no one mentions that any other nationality is being targeted in the papers or sites ,, the hostility is only against our neighbours and it is our neighbours who are living in desperate times and in my opinion need all the help that we can give them. In many ways we should be like Poland taking in millions of Ukrainians in their agonizing time but we are not .
In a perfect world I would probably agree with you. But the DR is not all that prosperous except for the elite few. Definitely less than Poland. They don't want to share what little they have. The overwhelming majority just barely scrape by. I see it every day.

Reactions: Auryn

thompstr

Mar 21, 2018
Yet there are thousands of Americans, Canadians, Italians and Venezuelans living here illegally so why should they not be rounded up and deported also.they sho

Yet there are thousands of Americans, Canadians, Italians and Venezuelans living here illegally so why should they not be rounded up and deported also.
I agree
But guess Americans, Canadians ect. Can pay exit fee

thompstr

Mar 21, 2018
I
Disagree with you
I'm sure Poland its temporary

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009

Im glad you asked this, yet AGAIN .
simple
one reason is because they pay a LARGE FINE when they do eventually Exit ..
because the DR does not have a Snow Bird Program ..

and while they are in Country , they are contributing to the Economy ..
and then they tell their friends, and their friends tell their friends , and so on and so on ..

any of this making sense ?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Im glad you asked this, yet AGAIN .
simple
one reason is because they pay a LARGE FINE when they do eventually Exit ..
because the DR does not have a Snow Bird Program ..

and while they are in Country , they are contributing to the Economy ..
and then they tell their friends, and their friends tell their friends , and so on and so on ..

any of this making sense ?
Plus 99 percent of them entered legally.

Reactions: XQT and jd426

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Numbers Kipling, numbers. There are a million more illegal Haitians than all the other nationalities combined plus the Haitians are a drain on Dominican social services. Who's we, are you a Dominican citizen?

Reactions: XQT and NanSanPedro

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
How do you know they aren't?
I know other nationalities are not rounded for being here illegally because I know many who have been living here for a very long time on expired tourist visa.

There was one round up of such gringos on the North Coast a few years ago and I assume that heads rolled for that, because it's never been repeated.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Plus 99 percent of them entered legally.
Which if people will excuse me for saying this , makes it almost a COMPLIMENT to the DR ..
" We came , and it was SO Beautiful , we just could not leave , and we stayed 3 months"
quite a different scenario , the DR is happy to take the FINE from such VISITORS , when they exit and let them back in anytime they want , as well..

but OTOH
Entering ILLEGALLY , Like if one of us were to take a BOAT into the DR under the cover of darkness, you would be in a World of Problems , when exposed , because they will assume you were involved in some pretty shady activity ..
Skin color has NOTHING do do with it .

Reactions: XQT

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
just now reading the other thread , post # 84 by BIG is almost exactly what I was trying to say in my prev post above
.. did not see his post before I typed mine here . same exact concept . because that's Reality .