Do-it-Yourself Permanent Residency Renewal Procedure

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
"Yes" on paper copies, two complete folders for good measure - passport, residency, cedula ,non penal, (note that passport must have 18 months validity)
Timeline was LONG - 10 weeks, but a minimum 2+ weeks of that was the fault of Referencia Lab misplacing my results, the kind folks at Migracion dealt with that issue. The Punta Cana/Bavaro office is a dream compared to the mess you find at Migracion in the Capital, JCE Bavaro for cedula renewal, same thing, in & out in less than ten minutes.
Thank you

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Yes, Go here --> https://personal.migracion.gob.do/Home/Index and create an account, choose the option Puerto Plata in the drop down menu and they tell you how to proceed. The whole process takes several weeks, keep logging back in to your acct and you will be prompted to take certain actions such as "Upload doc's" "Pay now", go for your medical etc which are all steps towards renewal.
It's very easy...
Are you sure you can do it in Puerto Plata? When I completed the forms online for permanent renewal recently, although I selected Puerto Plata from the drop down menu (as I used to do with Temporary Residency renewals) I was still directed to go to Santo Domingo when my documents were approved. The only bonus was that they told me to go to a clinic in Puerto Plata to do the medical.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Are you sure you can do it in Puerto Plata? When I completed the forms online for permanent renewal recently, although I selected Puerto Plata from the drop down menu (as I used to do with Temporary Residency renewals) I was still directed to go to Santo Domingo when my documents were approved. The only bonus was that they told me to go to a clinic in Puerto Plata to do the medical.
I'd call Migracion main number and ask to speak to the Puerto Plata office, if they transfer you through, there must be an office there. I was only going along that there was the option in the drop down menu, perhaps it's shuttered. Sorry I can't answer that.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I'd call Migracion main number and ask to speak to the Puerto Plata office, if they transfer you through, there must be an office there. I was only going along that there was the option in the drop down menu, perhaps it's shuttered. Sorry I can't answer that.
Puerto Plata has been on that drop down menu for years. Unless it's changed very recently, you can only do the medical in Puerto Plata. You still have to go to DGM and JCE in SD for your residency card and cedula.

That's interesting that DGM has been able to do renewals for those residents in the PC area. Hopefully, Puerto Plata will be able to do them in the near future.

bennymack

Apr 12, 2006
I am starting to renew my permanent residency (RP-1). Thanks CG for sharing your experience and answering questions. I have a few -

On the website, Santiago is also listed in the dropdown options. That would be most convenient for me. I realize this website is used for many things and it's likely that not every city offers the same services. Reading the posts above - maybe the medical can now be done in various cities and it will tell you your options based on the city you pick. If so, this is great.

And it seems that most of us still have to go to Santo Domingo to hand in the original papers/finish the process. I think Punta Cana might be the exception. Based on everyone's experience, does this sound correct?

Any directions on how to get the "Certificate of 'no criminal' record"?

Thanks.

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
I am starting to renew my permanent residency (RP-1). Thanks CG for sharing your experience and answering questions. I have a few -

On the website, Santiago is also listed in the dropdown options. That would be most convenient for me. I realize this website is used for many things and it's likely that not every city offers the same services. Reading the posts above - maybe the medical can now be done in various cities and it will tell you your options based on the city you pick. If so, this is great.

And it seems that most of us still have to go to Santo Domingo to hand in the original papers/finish the process. I think Punta Cana might be the exception. Based on everyone's experience, does this sound correct?

Thanks.
Bennymack,
I applied on-line for renewal in early September.
I selected Puerto Plata to start the process.
Eventually I handed in copies of all the required paperwork into PP.
Based on last year's application, I expected to have the medical testing in PP,
however that has changed;it must be done in Santiago!
(Not only that, but you have to go the THREE different locations to accomplish
what was done in one stop in PP!)

Good luck and remember where you are.

Reactions: bennymack

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Bennymack,

One stop in PP? Are you saying you didn't have to go to SD last year to get your new residency card and cedula?

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004

Thanks.
Register here if you have not already - https://portal.servicios.pgr.gob.do/UsuariosCiudadanos/Create

you can pay directly online and receive your “no criminal record” imeadiatly. Call the main office of migracion with questions regarding medical exam possibilities, I found them charming and helpful… It’s all relatively very simple

Reactions: bennymack

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Bennymack,

Really? What a shame if you can't do the medical in Puerto Plata any more. It must be quite a recent development because in June I did mine in PP, and, as you say, only one place to go.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Really? What a shame if you can't do the medical in Puerto Plata any more. It must be quite a recent development because in June I did mine in PP, and, as you say, only one place to go.
So, you didn't have to go to SD for the residency card and cedula either?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
So, you didn't have to go to SD for the residency card and cedula either?
We are talking about the medical, that happens before you receive the appointment the Res card and cedula. When you get that appointment you have to go to SD as usual.

Reactions: cavok

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
We are talking about the medical, that happens before you receive the appointment the Res card and cedula. When you get that appointment you have to go to SD as usual.
Isn't the medical only required the first time you get permanent residency? It's not required for renewals, is it?

bennymack

Apr 12, 2006
Working on the application. I didn't expect to need these things -

PÓLIZA DE GARANTÍA O EMPRESA GARANTE
and
ACTA DE MATRIMONIO, DEBIDAMENTE APOSTILLADA O LEGALIZADA (My wife and I married in the USA)

Is this normal? And if so, what's the process for each of them.

Thanks.

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Working on the application. I didn't expect to need these things -

PÓLIZA DE GARANTÍA O EMPRESA GARANTE
and
ACTA DE MATRIMONIO, DEBIDAMENTE APOSTILLADA O LEGALIZADA (My wife and I married in the USA)

Is this normal? And if so, what's the process for each of them.

Thanks.
1. For the 'Good Conduct' form, I paid the fee at BanReservas and gave the receipt to the folks at the court house in PP. The supplied the document a short time later.
2. I scanned a copy of our Marriage certificate into the appropriate spot on the application screen.

nml57

Feb 22, 2005
I don't know. Mine was my first so called "Permanent".
hi . how long is your new first permanent residency card valid for
the reason i am asking is i just got mine and it is only valid for 1 year and i was under the impression it was to be valid for 4 years

Reactions: cavok