Do-it-Yourself Permanent Residency Renewal Procedure

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
hi . how long is your new first permanent residency card valid for
the reason i am asking is i just got mine and it is only valid for 1 year and i was under the impression it was to be valid for 4 years
The second application will give you 4 years.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
hi . how long is your new first permanent residency card valid for
the reason i am asking is i just got mine and it is only valid for 1 year and i was under the impression it was to be valid for 4 years
Actually, I made a mistake and mine was my second "Permanent". The first was for one year and the second for four years. So much for "Permanent"!

frenchfamilly

Sep 17, 2017
Hello All,

We are in the process renewing the second "permanente" (for 4 years), our previous one was first permanente (for 1 year).

After submitting the files for us 3, on the web platform, we received the 3 invitations (we are 2 adults and a child) to go to the Migracion office in Puerto Plata.

Until then, everything is normal, except that the online payment system is not possible at this time.

Usually, we go there with the originals of the documents and a copy of each.

They usually check everything, and give you back your complete files and provide you with the RV to do the medical exams the same day at the Puerto Plata lab designated by Migracion.

Our appointment was yesterday November 25th.

BUT THIS TIME, it was different:

First we pay 16500 pesos per person (12000 for the residencia + 4500 for the medical examinations), which is normal since we couldn't pay online.

Then, and this is new, they keep the files.

And indeed the bad surprise is that the medical examinations must be done in Santiago!

That's not all!!! There are 3 different places to go, one for the analyses, another for the x-rays, and a third for the physical exam!!! And you have to go there within 2 days.

THIS IS JUST RIDICULOUS AND COMPLETELY IDIOT!

Our daughter missed school for nothing, we're going to have to organize another trip.

I guess they weren't happy with the old lab…but Puerto Plata is pretty well equipped in terms of medical services, couldn't they have found another provider to do all of this locally?

And send us to 3 different places in Santiago!!!!

That's how it's going right now, if it helps other expats...

So we're going to Santiago next Tuesday, and have our daughter miss school again.

I'll update this post to tell you how it went.

Good weekend to all.

Reactions: cavok

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Get off the "Residency Merry Go Round" and get Citizenship........If still possible with all the changes they keep implementing to get your money...........

Reactions: botemon

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
We took the third option and let our permanent residency expire. When you take the 16,500 pesos, plus a criminal check, plus the cost of the trip, plus the hassle of all the BS they think up daily there is no benefit to us. We are only here 6 months per year so the $80 usd exit fee is a bargin compared to the hassle of residency renewal.
Not everyone's first choice but it works for us. Very few benefits of getting residency now.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
Hello All,

We are in the process renewing the second "permanente" (for 4 years), our previous one was first permanente (for 1 year).

After submitting the files for us 3, on the web platform, we received the 3 invitations (we are 2 adults and a child) to go to the Migracion office in Puerto Plata.

Until then, everything is normal, except that the online payment system is not possible at this time.

Usually, we go there with the originals of the documents and a copy of each.

They usually check everything, and give you back your complete files and provide you with the RV to do the medical exams the same day at the Puerto Plata lab designated by Migracion.

Our appointment was yesterday November 25th.

BUT THIS TIME, it was different:

First we pay 16500 pesos per person (12000 for the residencia + 4500 for the medical examinations), which is normal since we couldn't pay online.

Then, and this is new, they keep the files.

And indeed the bad surprise is that the medical examinations must be done in Santiago!

That's not all!!! There are 3 different places to go, one for the analyses, another for the x-rays, and a third for the physical exam!!! And you have to go there within 2 days.

THIS IS JUST RIDICULOUS AND COMPLETELY IDIOT!

Our daughter missed school for nothing, we're going to have to organize another trip.

I guess they weren't happy with the old lab…but Puerto Plata is pretty well equipped in terms of medical services, couldn't they have found another provider to do all of this locally?

And send us to 3 different places in Santiago!!!!

That's how it's going right now, if it helps other expats...

So we're going to Santiago next Tuesday, and have our daughter miss school again.

I'll update this post to tell you how it went.

Good weekend to all.
Did you have to supply paper copy of complete passport or only the firsts pages with ID and picture?

frenchfamilly

Sep 17, 2017
Hello

We have only attached the copy of the passport open with the 2 pages which contain photo and ID.

To reply to other comments received, we live here full year and have a kid at school, even if I understand the whole process is quite tedious and cumbersome, and represents a significant cost.

But this is the immigration policy of the Dominican Republic, this country welcomes us (no one forced us to move here), and even if everything is not perfect, we must respect the rules.

Living here legally, with cedulas, residencias and a Dominican driver's license, avoids many unpleasant surprises and additional costs.

I understand that some prefer to avoid immigration procedures and pay the overstay fees when leaving the country, but it is at their own risk.

Things change quickly here. But it is also true that there is a lack of solution for snowbirds.

Have a nice Sunday!

Reactions: bennymack and Buck

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
It has been the same for about 25 years and will not change anytime soon. The DR wants visitors that spend and loves the collections at airports............

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Actually, I made a mistake and mine was my second "Permanent". The first was for one year and the second for four years. So much for "Permanent"!
It is permanent. Have you heard of anyone with a cedula nr that was canceled in the DR system ? The socalled renewal is just a way of checking in again and paying fees. I don’t think you can ever really “leave” again. If you stop renewing I think you just technically are late renewing and owe them money the rest of your life. If I am not right about this please someone explain why not. Same with a company. You can’t close it and will forever have a tax ID in the DR. I still have to see the opposite proven.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
We took the third option and let our permanent residency expire. When you take the 16,500 pesos, plus a criminal check, plus the cost of the trip, plus the hassle of all the BS they think up daily there is no benefit to us. We are only here 6 months per year so the $80 usd exit fee is a bargin compared to the hassle of residency renewal.
Not everyone's first choice but it works for us. Very few benefits of getting residency now.
I also let my residency expire last year June. But don’t you think your cedula id nr is still in their system. They are just waiting for you to renew and pay the fees.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I also let my residency expire last year June. But don’t you think your cedula id nr is still in their system. They are just waiting for you to renew and pay the fees.
A couple years ago I was in DGM and was talking to a man that had been out of the country for 10 years and was there renewing his residency. He had to pay a lot in late fees, but other than that, no problem.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
A couple years ago I was in DGM and was talking to a man that had been out of the country for 10 years and was there renewing his residency. He had to pay a lot in late fees, but other than that, no problem.
Exactly. So it is permanent. You just owe fees. If you wanted to have it canceled I bet you couldn’t.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Exactly. So it is permanent. You just owe fees. If you wanted to have it canceled I bet you couldn’t.
I don't understand what is the big deal with that? Renew if you want, don't if you don't want to.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I think you are right. But they are going to have a long wait. After 1 Temporary residence and 3 permanent residency cards they can kiss my ass if they think I'm going to jump through their hoops again.
We did the residency thing thinking we would have a few basic rights here. We were dead wrong. The government here still took our property and we had a 2 year fight to get it back. It was expensive and extremely stressful. We did win and thankfully we sold it. Now we are happy renters and will gladly pay the exit fee.
This country has a great climate and some very good people, that's why we come back.

Reactions: aarhus and SKY

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I don't understand what is the big deal with that? Renew if you want, don't if you don't want to.
It isn’t really a big deal. I am just making the argument that you are a permanent resident even if you don’t renew. Also interesting for the ones living in the DR who haven’t been able to renew. I don’t think they suddenly become “illegal”. Luckily there is not a personal income tax return you have to keep reporting the rest of your life.

Reactions: JD Jones

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I think you are right. But they are going to have a long wait. After 1 Temporary residence and 3 permanent residency cards they can kiss my ass if they think I'm going to jump through their hoops again.
We did the residency thing thinking we would have a few basic rights here. We were dead wrong. The government here still took our property and we had a 2 year fight to get it back. It was expensive and extremely stressful. We did win and thankfully we sold it. Now we are happy renters and will gladly pay the exit fee.
This country has a great climate and some very good people, that's why we come back.
I didn’t renew last year and will just visit the DR a month next year. I agree with you. Nice people, good food and nice weather.

Reactions: melphis

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
It’s worth thinking about. If you get DR residency and set up a DR company it’s not a temporary thing. You have it the rest of your life. Luckily my ex wife and business partner could continue a part of the business I had and represents me with the authorities. Most likely she will have to forever or until I am dead. I had a heart attack this June and was emergency operated on here in Denmark so I know now it can happen. And luckily she is Dominican and can easier deal with the DR buerocracia Also luckily she needs the company we had together for her work as a broker and she is making a living from it.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
It’s worth thinking about. If you get DR residency and set up a DR company it’s not a temporary thing. You have it the rest of your life. Luckily my ex wife and business partner could continue a part of the business I had and represents me with the authorities. Most likely she will have to forever or until I am dead. I had a heart attack this June and was emergency operated on here in Denmark so I know now it can happen. And luckily she is Dominican and can easier deal with the DR buerocracia Also luckily she needs the company we had together for her work as a broker and she is making a living from it.
When you sell your business, you also sell your shares in the company(?).

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
When you sell your business, you also sell your shares in the company(?).
Yes eventuallly my shares will be transfered and I will be out of it but I had two companies and one I have been closing and was owned only by me and the other with my partner. She gets to keep the company that contiues and keeps helping me with the other. I hear now from orhers that you can’t close a company in the DR.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Yes eventuallly my shares will be transfered and I will be out of it but I had two companies and one I have been closing and was owned only by me and the other with my partner. She gets to keep the company that contiues and keeps helping me with the other. I hear now from orhers that you can’t close a company in the DR.
You might not be able to close it out, but it will eventually be sold and that accomplishes the same thing for you, no?