UN expresses major concern for adolescent pregnancies; Deputy Ruben Maldonado submits bill for three grounds for abortion to Congress

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Embarazo-en-adolescentes-Listin-Diario-1024x572.png

Teen and even pre-teen pregnancies are a sad reality in the Dominican Republic, and this has been true for decades. The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) has expressed its concern the DR has one of the highest pregnancy rates in the Americas and the world. According to UNFPA stats, 20% of all births in the Dominican Republic are to women between the ages of 15-19 years of age. Teenage births result in poor educational, job, income, and health outcomes. The note says that women with a college degree earn three times the income of those with just a primary education.

Rubén Maldonado (Santo Domingo – Fuerza del Pueblo), a former president of the Chamber of Deputies, resubmitted to the Chamber of Deputies a bill containing three grounds for abortion in the Dominican Republic on 11 November 2022. He says the initiative is an attempt to remove obstacles for the...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Nothing can stop Dominican men, whether they be politicians or not, from thinking that they have the right to determine what women can do with their own bodies.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
They aren't, they are determining that abortion is infanticide. You may disagree with this, but you aren't able to vote. I personally agree that the three grounds for abortion law should be passed, even though I am not in favor of abortion. My wife has much stronger views on this than me, she is strongly anti-abortion.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
They aren't, they are determining that abortion is infanticide. You may disagree with this, but you aren't able to vote. I personally agree that the three grounds for abortion law should be passed, even though I am not in favor of abortion. My wife has much stronger views on this than me, she is strongly anti-abortion.
I'm not Catholic any longer but this is one thing I agree with the RCC on. Given that the DR is an ultra Catholic country, I don't see this stuff passing any time soon.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
United Nations Population Fund sounds really creepy and evil.
This Fund is neither creepy nor evil unless you think the prevention of maternity deaths is evil and the desire to have every baby born, a wanted child . If anything ,I would say those degrading the Fund are more worthy of the adjectives used.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
UN Reproductive and maternal health FUND would have been a more accurate title. Mr. Kipling, is there a need for your attempts to belittle people you are in disagreement with?