Dominican Cheese

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I've never understood the appeal of those small white cheese balls, that come in a plastic bag of 10 or 15. Tasteless rubber. HOWEVER , I have noticed that if I pick them up on the way down from Santiago, along with a bag of galletas, my wife is very happy and always appreciative.

Queso de Hoja makes a trip to El Cibao pay for itself..

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dominican cheese is so bad,that when Dominicans take a picture,they say,"WIKI" (wiskey)

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Aug 31, 2011
So which Dominican cheese melts like mozzarella that is common in US? For recipes that need that type of cheese, I'm open to the cheeses sold here. But which one will melt?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
It's hard to find a good tasty mozzarella for caprese salads - or flavorful tomatoes for that matter

Attachments

• Snap4.jpg
    Snap4.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 60

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I've tried Dominican cheddars and gouda and they're both terrible.
Well there is a good reason for that . Good cheeses are made from milk with a decent cream content . Fresians, Guernseys and Jerseys and the equivalent French breeds are the best but are not suited by the Caribbean climate conditions. Can not make a silk purse from a sows ear .

Reactions: cavok

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Well there is a good reason for that . Good cheeses are made from milk with a decent cream content . Fresians, Guernseys and Jerseys and the equivalent French breeds are the best but are not suited by the Caribbean climate conditions. Can not make a silk purse from a sows ear .

There has to be something else, in addition.

I am biased, as I am from France, and there hundreds and hundreds of different cheeses.
In the DR you can count the different types on your fingers. ( OK, slight exaggeration ).
Maybe Dominicans just dont like cheese ?

Reactions: Kipling333

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
There has to be something else, in addition.

I am biased, as I am from France, and there hundreds and hundreds of different cheeses.
In the DR you can count the different types on your fingers. ( OK, slight exaggeration ).
Maybe Dominicans just dont like cheese ?
France is the home of cheese and fine cooking also . I think one of the best lunches that I have ever had was at Hotel Le Bristol in Paris when the cheese cart came around with more than 50 different cheeses . Of course there are other reasons in the making of the best French cheeses like the addition of bacteria but the texture and the taste and the smell is the result of experience in the making. I can not imagine how any Frenchman could live without French food !!!

Reactions: malko

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
France is the home of cheese and fine cooking also . I think one of the best lunches that I have ever had was at Hotel Le Bristol in Paris when the cheese cart came around with more than 50 different cheeses . Of course there are other reasons in the making of the best French cheeses like the addition of bacteria but the texture and the taste and the smell is the result of experience in the making. I can not imagine how any Frenchman could live without French food !!!
I have been to France many times and I like French wine, bread, and cheese, and their beer is pretty good. I don't find their food any better than a number of countries.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Are there any cheeses that can be recommended in the DR? Or any worth buying and where can you buy them.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Are there any cheeses that can be recommended in the DR? Or any worth buying and where can you buy them.
Loads of great Imported cheese available at Jumbo, Nacional, Punta Italia, and other spots. As for DR cheese I can't really say..............

Reactions: keepcoming

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013

Queso de hoja, but only when fresh. I get it locally.

Sosua " mozzarella" is OK when you are desperate.

I like queso de freir, the white one not the yellow one. But I dont fry it, I cut it up and put in salads. I like a particular one, not too salty.
As for many things, a good relationship with a trusty colmado owner gets me the heads up whenever it is available.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
So the cheese I buy in Bravo in San Isidro, it's packaged as a Bravo item (not Sosua brand). Is that Dominican cheese? The smoked gouda can't be because I really like it and can't tell the difference between that and Kroger's back in the USA.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
So the cheese I buy in Bravo in San Isidro, it's packaged as a Bravo item (not Sosua brand). Is that Dominican cheese? The smoked gouda can't be because I really like it and can't tell the difference between that and Kroger's back in the USA.
Wanna really go nuts? Looked for the smoked bacon chunks and make a sandwich with both.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Yes, all the cheeses (and any product) with a house brand is Dominican made.

In Nacional they have two cheeses with their own brand too. "Consume lo de aqui" is a slogan they use for many Dominican made products.

6643E26B-4A98-4481-A707-6120BF4232DF.jpeg

This one won first place in the 4th National Cheeses Competition.
80433FD3-4A78-4BE3-A764-F92BA64868B5.jpeg

While we're at it, some other Dominican made products under Nacional own brand.

9E9E1A6D-8203-4DDA-872B-5B23A71256D2.jpeg

E7C46D20-1DCF-49BB-9250-C0CB71977972.jpeg

C90FB672-4FAD-434C-B3E4-A8CF832997C7.jpeg