Foreigners Pay For Everyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rey

Jan 2, 2007
What to Do in Santo Domingo , what’s its the culture in a situation such as :

When am hanging out with some Dominican FRIENDS of Low income and “poor class” at clubs , restaurants , bars , MUST I pay for everyone or can I ask everyone to split the bill ?

Can y’all answers be split in 3 categories for each answer :

1- Friends ( only females )
2- Friends ( only Guys )
3- Friends ( MIX Men and females )

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
In all cases they will hope you will pay, and if they are "poor class" they may not have money to pay. Resist if you can!

For females you will very probably be expected have to pay.

chicagoan14

Apr 2, 2019
Not the ideal situation, especially with the class you've specified. Some are prideful and will spend their last to show off. My philosophy when hanging out with folks in general is we are out in a group, I am somewhere where im comfortable paying the entire bill if something were to happen.

Generally, I always pay when I take friends and associates out who have less than me.

Aug 21, 2007
This sounds harsh, but I suggest you try to make friends with people who would be in your socio economic level. Until you truly know someone here who is of much lesser means, you would not know if he/she is simply using you and whether you can trust this person. I have lived in Jamao, for example, for 7 years now and still, I am extremely careful who I invite to my house. Generally speaking, if you would not socialize with someone of a certain level in your home country, you probably should not socialize with someone here who is on a similar level. Of course, there are exceptions, but it takes much time to learn who those people are.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Rey, some of these questions/situations will be resolved once you have moved to the DR. Do whatever you feel comfortable doing.

Reactions: rey

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
If it was your idea to go there - you pay. If you just met them there, buy a round or two of drinks if you like.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
This sounds harsh, but I suggest you try to make friends with people who would be in your socio economic level. Until you truly know someone here who is of much lesser means, you would not know if he/she is simply using you and whether you can trust this person. I have lived in Jamao, for example, for 7 years now and still, I am extremely careful who I invite to my house. Generally speaking, if you would not socialize with someone of a certain level in your home country, you probably should not socialize with someone here who is on a similar level. Of course, there are exceptions, but it takes much time to learn who those people are.
it does not sound harsh, its reality. The saying "don't get too friendly with the help" , has been around a long time for a reason.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
You've been asking a ton of questions about crime and the lot on this forum in other threads lately, you come across as having zero street smarts and now your talking about "hanging out" in clubs and bars with "low income" Dominicans?

Do yourself a favor, follow Lindsey's advice and hang out with people who are on the same social economic level as you.

rey

Jan 2, 2007
You've been asking a ton of questions about crime and the lot on this forum in other threads lately, you come across as having zero street smarts and now your talking about "hanging out" in clubs and bars with "low income" Dominicans?

Do yourself a favor, follow Lindsey's advice and hang out with people who are on the same social economic level as you.
Thanks for advised / comment Sir …

To answer your comment about hanging out ; OF COURSE I want to hang out and bar hopping , who wouldn’t ? Specially at a country where the beers cost a $1.00 USD DOLLAR 🤩 🤩 🤩

Reactions: mountainannie

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Thanks for advised / comment Sir …

To answer your comment about hanging out ; OF COURSE I want to hang out and bar hopping , who wouldn’t ? Specially at a country where the beers cost a $1.00 USD DOLLAR 🤩 🤩 🤩
1USD? That would be 54 pesos. You won't find that anywhere.

I'm not a big drinker but I have been paying 140 DOP for a small presidente. I was at Nacan the other night and paid 300 DOP for one.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I do not judge people that I eat with by their socio economic level but if they have bad table manners I do not eat with them . And I always offer to pay and normally my offer is accepted and I do not query why .

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I do not judge people that I eat with by their socio economic level but if they have bad table manners I do not eat with them . And I always offer to pay and normally my offer is accepted and I do not query why .
I don't see why you should pay unless you have invited them to go out with you. I think the OP is referring to people of both sexes he meets in bars etc. In that case I would only pay if it's a female who I want to know better. Otherwise there are plenty of people who will hang around with you all evening just to get the free drinks and maybe a propina.

Reactions: DR Dreamer and rey

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
12 oz bottle Presidente at Jumbo on sale for 89.00 pesos. I haven't seen $1.00 beer in a very long time. Rey as much as you worry about security, you may want to think about the prices on items. This may resolve your questions about paying the bill, as you can see it will be expensive.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
1USD? That would be 54 pesos. You won't find that anywhere.

I'm not a big drinker but I have been paying 140 DOP for a small presidente. I was at Nacan the other night and paid 300 DOP for one.
lol. don't grab the check too quickly in that place. As you know its about 250.00 U.S for just two people. Love that place!

Aug 21, 2007
lol. don't grab the check too quickly in that place. As you know its about 250.00 U.S for just two people. Love that place!

I love it, too!!!!! One of my very favorites in this country and better than most fine restaurants where I come from!

chicagoan14

Apr 2, 2019
I agree 100% A lot of folks just aren't street-smart or have been around that lifestyle. They come here and think it's cool to hangout in people's barrios every weekend. If you wouldn't go to some of those places in the states to hangout why do it here?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I don't see why you should pay unless you have invited them to go out with you. I think the OP is referring to people of both sexes he meets in bars etc. In that case I would only pay if it's a female who I want to know better. Otherwise there are plenty of people who will hang around with you all evening just to get the free drinks and maybe a propina.
We won't even mention those folks who ask for a small "prestamo" after a few drinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.