Seeking Technician: Hella LED Driving Lights

Memo

Jul 30, 2005
Las Galeras
www.elotrowa.com
I have two Hella LED driving lights of the "Spot" (pencil beam) persuasion which I used sparingly and when alone o the highway. They are a great aid when compelled top drive after dark. I purchased these from a reputable 4x4 shop in Santo Domingo and they did the installation, which proved faulty when, first, the used Volvo light switch that they used crumbled and secondly and more importantly, when they began to flicker rapidly whenever used. The flicker is strong and rapid enough to render the lights practically useless. Certainly these very expensive Hella lights are no longer an aid to driving at night.

While not a technician, I suspect that the LED lights do not generate sufficient resistance in the circuit and the vehicle's power-management system is somehow confused in consequence. The original vendor is seemingly not interested in solving my problem and Hella is absolutely non-responsive to any questions I have submitted in every Hella venue that I can find on the Internet.

Almost certainly resolving this flickering LED condition is not rocket science--but it's science or technology beyond my own capacity.

Can anyone point me to a competent person who can diagnose and resolve this problem? I will happily take the vehicle to their shop anywhere, any time.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
You can go to just about any other shop where they are sold and installed and they can fix it for you. You'll have to pay, of course and I'm guessing you wanted the original vendor to fix it at no charge?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
That's a Hella of a problem.
I suspect you are right about the electrical supply not being sufficient.

Memo

Jul 30, 2005
Las Galeras
www.elotrowa.com
You can go to just about any other shop where they are sold and installed and they can fix it for you. You'll have to pay, of course and I'm guessing you wanted the original vendor to fix it at no charge?
I'm embarassed to say what I paid for these lights. Suffice to say that I thought the installed price was way high when quoted and of course it was double that when I discovered at the end of a very long day that the original quote was for ONE light. In fairness, I did confirm later that these things are ridiculously expensive.

Be that as it may, I never did expect them to repair their installation free of charge. I just didn't expect them to give me the run-around (and around, and around) when simply trying to get into their shop.

As for other shops--I've had several say something like "hmmm. yeah. We have no idea." I downloaded the tech specs from Hella, but have no idea what to do with the information, or where to purchase or install some sort of appropriate resistor or driver for the system.

What I'm hoping for is someone to say "yes, I had a similar problem with 12. off-road driving lights and xxx fixed me right up!"

Memo

Jul 30, 2005
Las Galeras
www.elotrowa.com
I'm embarassed to say what I paid for these lights. Suffice to say that I thought the installed price was way high when quoted and of course it was double that when I discovered at the end of a very long day that the original quote was for ONE light. In fairness, I did confirm later that these things are ridiculously expensive.

Be that as it may, I never did expect them to repair their installation free of charge. I just didn't expect them to give me the run-around (and around, and around) when simply trying to get into their shop.

As for other shops--I've had several say something like "hmmm. yeah. We have no idea." I downloaded the tech specs from Hella, but have no idea what to do with the information, or where to purchase or install some sort of appropriate resistor or driver for the system.

What I'm hoping for is someone to say "yes, I had a similar problem with 12 volt LED off-road driving lights and xxx fixed me right up!"
BTW, I haven't seen these Hella LED pencil-beam lights for sale anywhere else in the RD, only on Amazon and then at nearly $1000.00 US the pair... Hella vendors in Santo Domingo are among those who say "dunno."

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Aren't these just lights that are activated with a relay?

Memo

Jul 30, 2005
Las Galeras
www.elotrowa.com
One would imagine so. But au contraire!

Reluctantly, I opened my little can of worms earlier today and discovered--no solenoid in the circuit! I suppose that absence may have contributed to the demise of the Volvo switch that 4 X 4 Dominicano used to make their original installation, dunno. Although I seem to recall reading somewhere that LED lights actually DON'T WANT a solenoid relay in the circuit but, again, dunno.

So: I DID put a circuit tester on the battery: 12.6 volts at rest; and 13--14 when the alternator is charging. The voltage dropped to 9.6 when checked at the connection to the lights. Disconnecting one light made the other stop flickering and shine bright and steady. Reversing the disconnection had the same result with the opposite light. Seemingly, the "harness" devised by the installer (many twisted connections, much tape) is the problem and perhaps the solution is simply to start over and do it right (with or without a solenoid?) This is something I can do; have done before and simply hope to avoid doing again--hence my asking for a recommendation to a competent technician. I'm still in the market for that guy or gal.

For now, I've disconnected one $500 light and am peering down the nightime road with the other functioning well.

I suppose I'm nearly Dominican. ;-)

Memo

Jul 30, 2005
Las Galeras
www.elotrowa.com
Thanks, Bob.

When looking at the details of the Hella harness to which you provided the link I see that it does include a solenoid and clearly states that it's "... ideal for installing LED lights and light bars. Capable of handling two lights with up to 150 watts each at 12 V..."

Looks like just the ticket: probably what was in the box when 4X4 Dominicano opened it to put the lights on display...

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Thanks, Bob.

When looking at the details of the Hella harness to which you provided the link I see that it does include a solenoid and clearly states that it's "... ideal for installing LED lights and light bars. Capable of handling two lights with up to 150 watts each at 12 V..."

Looks like just the ticket: probably what was in the box when 4X4 Dominicano opened it to put the lights on display...
Or you could buy a small handful of terminals and a new relay and be done with it. 12V going through the relay to the lights, and have it actuated with the bright lights.

But I gotta admit, that Summit racing kit will probably look cleaner.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
One would imagine so. But au contraire!

Reluctantly, I opened my little can of worms earlier today and discovered--no solenoid in the circuit! I suppose that absence may have contributed to the demise of the Volvo switch that 4 X 4 Dominicano used to make their original installation, dunno. Although I seem to recall reading somewhere that LED lights actually DON'T WANT a solenoid relay in the circuit but, again, dunno.

So: I DID put a circuit tester on the battery: 12.6 volts at rest; and 13--14 when the alternator is charging. The voltage dropped to 9.6 when checked at the connection to the lights. Disconnecting one light made the other stop flickering and shine bright and steady. Reversing the disconnection had the same result with the opposite light. Seemingly, the "harness" devised by the installer (many twisted connections, much tape) is the problem and perhaps the solution is simply to start over and do it right (with or without a solenoid?) This is something I can do; have done before and simply hope to avoid doing again--hence my asking for a recommendation to a competent technician. I'm still in the market for that guy or gal.

For now, I've disconnected one $500 light and am peering down the nightime road with the other functioning well.

I suppose I'm nearly Dominican. ;-)
I agreed with Chico Bill statement.
You need a lower gauge wire and a stronger relay.

JJ