Moving to DR - Sosúa, Cabarete or Puerto Plata

hedon

Mar 26, 2008
I am trying to set up moving to DR Sosua or Cabarte or Maybe Puerto Plata at least 6 months of the year. I also want to buy or ship a car and leave it here in a rented garage. Right now I am in Sosua on Pedro Clisante but although I have done the gua gua and the motoconcho thing I really need a car when I am here .I checked out realty offices and online listings for apartment rentals in Sosua. All beyond my budget of $900-$1000 an month. Any one have suggestion as to what sources I can use to look

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Go look on the street, online you will only find those types of rents. For example in Los Castillos, between the airport and "downtown" Sosúa, you can find furnitured apartments for around $500. And for a car, it's easier to buy one here instead of trying to import it

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
You will easily find a nice apartment within your budget, although this time of year is the most expensive. You could start with looking at the "Everything Sosua" and "Everything Cabarete" Facebook groups.

As for importing a car, as Kricke87 said, it's so difficult and long-winded importing a car that most people think that buying here is worth the extra purchase price. I know a guy who had to wait nearly a year to get through all the red tape to import a car. Beware though, if buying a used car, most have a poor history, so make sure you, or somebody who can go with you, know how to sort the good from the bad.

Reactions: XQT

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
I am trying to set up moving to DR Sosua or Cabarte or Maybe Puerto Plata at least 6 months of the year. I also want to buy or ship a car and leave it here in a rented garage. Right now I am in Sosua on Pedro Clisante but although I have done the gua gua and the motoconcho thing I really need a car when I am here .I checked out realty offices and online listings for apartment rentals in Sosua. All beyond my budget of $900-$1000 an month. Any one have suggestion as to what sources I can use to look
Buy new at Apolo Motors P.P. competent and honest service close to home.
Used too expensive, importation cumbersome.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Buy new at Apolo Motors P.P. competent and honest service close to home.
Used too expensive, importation cumbersome.

Yes a small SUV Suzuki Vitara or Nissan Kicks will cost new at Apollo about the same as a used larger used imported SUV (Sonata or Santa Fe) and those will be over 100,000 miles and bought at auction, maybe salvage titles (although those are 'supposed to be' prohibited).
Really a car over 100,000 miles in the US doesn't scare me if it has good maintenance records, but in DR it easily be 200,000 miles and the odometer rolled back to 80,000 and spiffed up to cover it's many faults

Reactions: XQT and JD Jones

hedon

Mar 26, 2008
You will easily find a nice apartment within your budget, although this time of year is the most expensive. You could start with looking at the "Everything Sosua" and "Everything Cabarete" Facebook groups.

As for importing a car, as Kricke87 said, it's so difficult and long-winded importing a car that most people think that buying here is worth the extra purchase price. I know a guy who had to wait nearly a year to get through all the red tape to import a car. Beware though, if buying a used car, most have a poor history, so make sure you, or somebody who can go with you, know how to sort the good from the bad.
Thanks a lot for the information

David B

Aug 31, 2017
Buy a used American import and get the carfax. Probably all of the used cars sold here have had the odometer turned back and many are salvaged in the US. And yes, a Vitara from A;pollo is a good alternative.

Reactions: bachata

Father Guido

Jul 24, 2022
SDQ
you might want to look in other areas, I have a beautiful apartment on the south coast, the Italian owners keep the property pristine and take pride and fix any deficiencies rapido, I have electrically gated parking, 550 usd/month, includes gas, water, cable and internet, I'm a 10 minute walk to the beach, if I walk slowly

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I like the car dealer NdeC.... always had good service & results

I second that choice. I bought my Nissan B13 from them. Painless. I deposited the money in their account there in their office and drove away.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Buy a used American import and get the carfax. Probably all of the used cars sold here have had the odometer turned back and many are salvaged in the US. And yes, a Vitara from A;pollo is a good alternative.
If Gorgon were still around I recommend him to anyone looking to buy a good used vehicle down here.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
I wouldn't buy an import, mostly water damaged cars from US
Okay so what should you buy? Are there any local Dominican Car makers?? Obviously a false statement that most cars imported are water damaged from US. I've bought 5 cars and none of them have had any signs of water damage, neither do I know anyone who has bought one like that.. But it is a good idea to buy a carfax. When I was about to buy my current car I went to SD to check on potential cars and we went to one car dealer who had a great deal on a specific car. It said it was a 2.0 liter engine with just 90k miles on it. My friend who has his own car rental business and went with me, tested it and was convinced that it was not the said engine. So I bought a carfax to check, and rightly so, not the said engine but a smaller one, and also over 210k miles on it. So that was a hard NO. So that is a really useful tool. Funny thing, that same seller called us like 10 times after that, always lowering the price, and the last price was about 100k pesos less than original offer.. 😂

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
What year was that. Those B13 were years ago right?
2010. Only had about 120 miles on it and was registered as a 2010 model.

1670968877465.png

The only reason I sold it was I had too many cars. (Still have too many!)

A great little car. I sold it to a member on here a few years ago.

Reactions: chico bill

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Cars are too expensive in DR, I saw a 2003 Honda CR-V selling for 400. K compared to the one I have here in US a junk mine is like new, I bought it for $600. Dollars three years ago with brand new tires. The problems was a check engine light on for catalytic converter low efficiency and bad AC. Single owner allways taken to the dealership for maintenance and repairs but this time the owner didn't want to spend $ 3,000. Dollars for the repair and gave me a mechanic special deal

Same with my 2005 Toyota Camry I brought it like new 10 years ago $1,000. With blown timing belt and suspected bad engine 180k hiway miles but in like new condition, leather interior, alloy rims and six cylinders...
Almost 300k miles today and still looks and drive like new.
Nothing was wrong with the engine just the belt.

JJ

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Cars are too expensive in DR, I saw a 2003 Honda CR-V selling for 400. K compared to the one I have here in US a junk mine is like new, I bought it for $600. Dollars three years ago with brand new tires. The problems was a check engine light on for catalytic converter low efficiency and bad AC. Single owner allways taken to the dealership for maintenance and repairs but this time the owner didn't want to spend $ 3,000. Dollars for the repair and gave me a mechanic special deal

Same with my 2005 Toyota Camry I brought it like new 10 years ago $1,000. With blown timing belt and suspected bad engine 180k hiway miles but in like new condition, leather interior, alloy rims and six cylinders...
Almost 300k miles today and still looks and drive like new.
Nothing was wrong with the engine just the belt.

JJ
Yes, I have even seen totaled cars, and I really mean totaled, they still want like 200-300k for them, just because it's a newer Toyota or something like that, but still to me it's ridiculous.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
2010. Only had about 120 miles on it and was registered as a 2010 model.

View attachment 6762

The only reason I sold it was I had too many cars. (Still have too many!)

A great little car. I sold it to a member on here a few years ago.
Those were economical durable cars. Suffered from frequent failed fuel pumps in the tank - but that is a DYI repair for a handy guy. (or gal ?)