Real Estate Agent Recommendation

NAGUA

Mar 19, 2016
For east coast and north coast for homes to buy. Or a website to recommend. Thanks in advance

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
This has been covered many times. You should know that there are absolutely no requirements of any kind to be a realtor in the DR. They will tell you whatever you want to hear with zero regard for the truth. Keep this in mind with who ever you choose.

Do not take their recommendation for a lawyer (which you will need) as they are probably related. Ask people you know and trust for a lawyer recommendation.

Lastly you should rent for a minimum 6 months in whatever area you decide on. That way you will get a true feel for the area.

NAGUA

Mar 19, 2016
This has been covered many times. You should know that there are absolutely no requirements of any kind to be a realtor in the DR. They will tell you whatever you want to hear with zero regard for the truth. Keep this in mind with who ever you choose.

Do not take their recommendation for a lawyer (which you will need) as they are probably related. Ask people you know and trust for a lawyer recommendation.

Lastly you should rent for a minimum 6 months in whatever area you decide on. That way you will get a true feel for the area.
Have family there. But they are not familiar with real estate. This DR1 is for research as well as helping members this is why I am asking for a trustworthy real estate agent. There is good and bad in everything. I have travelled all over south and central america and lived in Honduras for a couple years. Not my first rodeo. Thank you

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Maja Fasting. Tropical Living. German lady who does a lot of work done foreign embassies and big corporations. 100% honest and trustworthy and she covers the whole island. I've used her many times and would strongly recommend.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Maja Fasting. Tropical Living. German lady who does a lot of work done foreign embassies and big corporations. 100% honest and trustworthy and she covers the whole island. I've used her many times and would strongly recommend.
If you have found a trustworthy realtor my hat is off to you. Don't lose her lol
They are a very rare commodity here

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Trust no one.. it's the wild wild west when it comes to real estate here..
I've always financed through Banco Popular and let their lawyers handle the whole thing. Once the deal is done, I wait a month or so and pay off the loan. Easy peasy.
Added bonus: If the bank does it, you KNOW the docs are clear and legal.

Reactions: melphis

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I've always financed through Banco Popular and let their lawyers handle the whole thing. Once the deal is done, I wait a month or so and pay off the loan. Easy peasy.
Added bonus: If the bank does it, you KNOW the docs are clear and legal.
I have done that also . only problem is there is a early 2.5 percent pay off penalty on the amount of the loan. but you definitely wont get swindle out of your money using the bank lawyers

NAGUA

Mar 19, 2016
Do you happen to have here website?

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Trust no one.. it's the wild wild west when it comes to real estate here..

I think that if you use a reputable firm of lawyers and pay proper money you are ok. There are plenty of decent lawyers in the capital. And Guzman Ariza have a very good reputation for property matters. Never a good idea to use a cut price lawyer.

As far as realtors are concerned my advice is to make them earn every cent of their commission. A good one will get the price down for you if you're buying and help you find exactly what you're looking for.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We seem to be thinking in an opposite direction.

The rules of real estate say that the agent works for the person who pays him.... normally, the seller
Here and in NoAmerica to a degree, people think the agent will work to lower the price for the buyer.

An agent's duty is to the seller...... unless he/she is acting as 'Buyer's Agent'.... a specific contract

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
We seem to be thinking in an opposite direction.

The rules of real estate say that the agent works for the person who pays him.... normally, the seller
Here and in NoAmerica to a degree, people think the agent will work to lower the price for the buyer.

An agent's duty is to the seller...... unless he/she is acting as 'Buyer's Agent'.... a specific contract

Here in DR there are usually two agents involved. One represents the seller the other represents the buyer. That's why they charge so much, 5%, because they have to split the commission between them. If you try to buy something, or rent something upmarket, and do it on your own you'll very quickly run into an agent who will want to represent you and will organise viewing tours with you for other properties.

A guy I am seeing runs a company that sells housing projects, so his company go on site, set up the model, do the marketing and coordinate with realtors. Out of the 5% sale commission, he gets 2% the lawyers get 0.5% and there is 2.5% available for the other realtor. But the other realtor will be representing the buyer.