Settling In. Or Not.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We arrived Saturday after an almost 3 year Covid absence (took an evacuation flight in March 2020). The good news is our house is still standing and it wasn’t robbed or ransacked while we were gone. A few things missing outside (hoses, etc). Some diving equipment missing from one bedroom (Regulators, backpack, spearguns , not sure how that happened, at some point someone had access. A cousin used the house some weekends after we left, but he died from Covid over 2 years ago. Might have been while he was here) All sorts of other issues, 3years is a long time for things to sit.

First, the car.

1. Tires (all 4 need replacement, less than 5,000 miles on them). Best place to buy? PriceMart? No time to order and ship in.
2. Brakes. Rotors all rusted. (Salty beach air). At mechanic.
3. AC. Not working 😭 Going to try adding Freon (or whatever they use).

The house.

1. Water pump from cistern to house not working. Getting by on tinaco.
2. One inverter not working, may not repair or replace. Since electricity has improved, will probably just keep one.
3. 8 batteries on last legs (bought new last trip)
4. Various plumbing issues.
5. Roof leak in one bedroom.

Poco a poco. Life in paradise. It could have been worse.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Seems to me that you are on the lucky side, after 3 years absence.

There is always, always, something that needs doing in a house in the DR, it seems to me.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
dont stay away so long in the future .......bet the dogs missed you

Sadly, they both died while we were gone. We now have a young rottie and a viralata.

Seems to me that you are on the lucky side, after 3 years absence.

There is always, always, something that needs doing in a house in the DR, it seems to me.

True, it could have been much worse. We always have house repairs. The car issues were unexpected and are going to be costly. The last 4 tires we bought were Michelin from the USA and were over $1000, we thought we’d buy the best so they’d last. We didn’t account for them sitting 3 years. ☹️

• Sad
Reactions: Facepalm Supreme

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
A Car should never sit that long, especially outside .. The Tires are the least of your problems .
Your entire Fuel System has to be removed and cleaned just for starters .. and I hate to tell you, u even need to do a compression check on your Engine .. the rings have a way of Sticking when left that long and they will not just magically unstick themselves . you could be looking at an rebuilt engine, if not, you are very lucky ...Hopefully they towed the car away on a flat bed ?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
A Car should never sit that long, especially outside .. The Tires are the least of your problems .
Your entire Fuel System has to be removed and cleaned just for starters .. and I hate to tell you, u even need to do a compression check on your Engine .. the rings have a way of Sticking when left that long and they will not just magically unstick themselves . you could be looking at an rebuilt engine, if not, you are very lucky ...Hopefully they towed the car away on a flat bed ?

It was in a garage with a car cover over it. My BIL drove it to Santo Domingo, that’s how he noticed the brakes weren’t “right”. It’s still there getting new rotors, having the AC checked/repaired. Then we need the tires.

When we left, we had 24 hours notice to lock up and leave. It was a time of panic, US embassy was saying get out now or you may be stuck here for 18 months, so that’s what we did. Disconnected the battery, covered it, locked the garage and left. We haven’t seen the car yet, but BIL says dashboard is crinkled, I presume from the heat. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Aug 21, 2007
So sorry you came back to paradise to find this. Take your time to get settled. Eventually all will be alright. I, for one, am glad you are back.

Reactions: AlterEgo

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Always drive a car a couple miles a month. Leave the keys with a trusted neighbor who already owns a car.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Always drive a car a couple miles a month. Leave the keys with a trusted neighbor who already owns a car.
I used to hold a car for a friend of mine who came down every 3-4 months or so. Kept it with a trickle charger connected all of the time and would drive it around the block on the first of every month.
They really do need a little TLC.

Aug 21, 2007
I used to hold a car for a friend of mine who came down every 3-4 months or so. Kept it with a trickle charger connected all of the time and would drive it around the block on the first of every month.
They really do need a little TLC.
Next time. Alter ego, we will do this for you.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
We have baby-sat a car for friends when they returned to Canada every year. Started it every few days and drove it ( around the neighborhood ) at least once a week. Four years and it has survived ( sort of ) . 4 years of half-year next to non-usage : tough on any vehicle.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
We arrived Saturday after an almost 3 year Covid absence (took an evacuation flight in March 2020). The good news is our house is still standing and it wasn’t robbed or ransacked while we were gone. A few things missing outside (hoses, etc). Some diving equipment missing from one bedroom (Regulators, backpack, spearguns , not sure how that happened, at some point someone had access. A cousin used the house some weekends after we left, but he died from Covid over 2 years ago. Might have been while he was here) All sorts of other issues, 3years is a long time for things to sit.

First, the car.

1. Tires (all 4 need replacement, less than 5,000 miles on them). Best place to buy? PriceMart? No time to order and ship in.
2. Brakes. Rotors all rusted. (Salty beach air). At mechanic.
3. AC. Not working 😭 Going to try adding Freon (or whatever they use).

The house.

1. Water pump from cistern to house not working. Getting by on tinaco.
2. One inverter not working, may not repair or replace. Since electricity has improved, will probably just keep one.
3. 8 batteries on last legs (bought new last trip)
4. Various plumbing issues.
5. Roof leak in one bedroom.

Poco a poco. Life in paradise. It could have been worse.
most New York Dominicans I know put their car on jackstands, so the tires are off the ground.

• Haha
Reactions: RDKNIGHT

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I always thought leaving your car for 3 m onths at a time was ok.....guess i need to change my habits in the future

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
I always thought leaving your car for 3 m onths at a time was ok.....guess i need to change my habits in the future

Depends on the car IMO …..we left a BMW ..for just under a month…the whole system shut down ….BMW blamed us ….complete disaster…😩…long story . La suegra leaves her Toyota for 3 - 6 months at a time…comes back… wipes it down .…good to go! … like she never left.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Never off the ground for car storage..... use a tire cradle or Flat Stopper

in the air is bad for the suspension..... witness museums...... all on the ground

Reactions: Drperson

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Depends on the car IMO …..we left a BMW ..for just under a month…the whole system shut down ….BMW blamed us ….complete disaster…😩…long story . La suegra leaves her Toyota for 3 - 6 months at a time…comes back… wipes it down .…good to go! … like she never left.

Our car is a Toyota Venza, we’ve had it here for 11 years (it only has about 45-50,00 miles). We’ve left it every year for 6-8 months. We come back, install the battery, and it starts right up. After a good cleaning inside and out at the car wash, off we went. Covid changed things, and 3 years was a LONG time 😢

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Our car is a Toyota Venza, we’ve had it here for 11 years (it only has about 45-50,00 miles). We’ve left it every year for 6-8 months. We come back, install the battery, and it starts right up. After a good cleaning inside and out at the car wash, off we went. Covid changed things, and 3 years was a LONG time 😢
You should definitely put in a long term fuel stabilizer chemical and fill the tank before you leave it sit. I suspect the oil could degrade after 3 years too so change that ASAP.
Tires- I think you are out of luck - they get flat spots when sitting and if sitting flat the sidewalls will be rotten. On the bright side - tires here usually are damaged by road hazards (too numerous to mention) before they wear out, so no need to by a long mileage tire.