Changan Vehicles

HS10

Feb 17, 2008
Anyone have any personal experience with the new Changans?
I am thinking of the 2023 Changan CS 85

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I helped a friend car shop last year and she decided on the Changan CS55. After looking at several new cars and lots of used ones she picked the Changan. So far it's been a great suv. The fit and finish of it is as good as anything else we looked at.
It's great on fuel, comfortable to drive and sit in. If I was going to buy a new car I would certainly consider one of these. My only concern is, will parts be available a few years down the road?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Parts availability are the only thing that scares me. The quality of the lenses on the lights is another. They don't like the sun.

Reactions: chico bill

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I don't want to change your thread. Maybe I should just start a new one. What is the most popular SUV in the Dominican Republic?
I would say Kia followed by Toyota. There are a ton of used SUV's available but unless you know what to look for, many are flood damaged vehicles from the US. New ones are ridiculously overpriced so that's why you see more and more of the Changan and other Chinese imports.

HS10

Feb 17, 2008
It seems Changan is sold in India , Latin America, the Middle East. There are plenty of video 'reviews' available but really they just describe the vehicles. If it was sold in The US or Europe there would be real evaluating reviews. I guess those type of reviews are a Western thing.

Exodusbywind

Jun 25, 2022
Pennsylvania
If I was to judge on what my eyes see locally I would say the Honda CRV.
I never heard of Changan, how to Google it. Oldest car manufacturer in China and second most popular. Seems parts wood be available, getting them maybe a different story. Hondas are very popular here and most models are dependable.

Exodusbywind

Jun 25, 2022
Pennsylvania
I would say Kia followed by Toyota. There are a ton of used SUV's available but unless you know what to look for, many are flood damaged vehicles from the US. New ones are ridiculously overpriced so that's why you see more and more of the Changan and other Chinese imports.
I think Toyota and Honda run neck and neck here. They also try to move flood damaged vehicles here. From the south to up north. Some of those used car dealers can be very slippery.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I never heard of Changan, how to Google it. Oldest car manufacturer in China and second most popular. Seems parts wood be available, getting them maybe a different story. Hondas are very popular here and most models are dependable.
If you're good at ordering parts online, that's another option.

Reactions: Exodusbywind

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I gotta tell ya, that CS 85 pulls a lot of strings. Nice looking SUV.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
A Changan SUV appears around 8:00. This video is from about a week ago in Jarabacoa.

Jan 9, 2004
Changan is 50% joint venture between Ford and the Chinese government,

The motors are made by Mazda, which was formerly owned by Ford.

They are around, but not near as popular as their Japanese and Korean competition.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Changan is 50% joint venture between Ford and the Chinese government,

The motors are made by Mazda, which was formerly owned by Ford.

They are around, but not near as popular as their Japanese and Korean competition.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
For now that is mainly due to Changan not being in the Dominican market for as many years as the Japanese and Korean brands. Given price and quality, I think Changan vehicles are comparable to some brands from those other origins.

Last edited:
Reactions: melphis

scotia

Mar 18, 2004
I drove my brother in laws Changan SUV on the Punta Cana- Santo Domingo hwy and was surprised by how fast it accelerated. It was comfortable and handled fairly well. He is very happy with it so far. Not sure I'd buy one being a long time Toyota driver but the lower price is certainly something to consider.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
They have Mazda drive trains so no suprise there. I had a MX6 and that thing would fly.

Reactions: AlaPlaya
Jan 9, 2004
I drove my brother in laws Changan SUV on the Punta Cana- Santo Domingo hwy and was surprised by how fast it accelerated. It was comfortable and handled fairly well. He is very happy with it so far. Not sure I'd buy one being a long time Toyota driver but the lower price is certainly something to consider.

Time will certainly tell, but the jury is still out so to speak on the important “ty.”

That in no particular order is;

Reliability, Serviceability, and Longevity.

They do have a decent pedigree.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
FYI Please keep in mind the reason for these cars to be sold a little less cheap here is because they cut back on safety devices such as airbags and supports that are mandatory in the United States .

Reactions: Auryn and scotia