Any Canadians? OR English speakers?

eddsters

Jan 19, 2023
Santo Domingo
Hey guys I am new to town trying to make some close friends. Any Canadians or English speakers want to get together for a few beers and get to know each other? I am a software dev moved down here and working remotely. Thats all I can say right now. Just looking for some chill friends to make some good connections with :)

Stay Safe!

Reactions: CristoRey

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Hey guys I am new to town trying to make some close friends. Any Canadians or English speakers want to get together for a few beers and get to know each other? I am a software dev moved down here and working remotely. Thats all I can say right now. Just looking for some chill friends to make some good connections with :)

Stay Safe!
Welcome to Wonderland.
Where ya from?
How long have you been in the city?
Como es tu Espanol?
I have a Canadian friend on the North Coast who is a software developer.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I'm glad you distinguished Canadians and English speakers as two separate groups. (Apart from that weird French dialect), the two are exclusively different.

How aboot that eh?

:ROFLMAO::p

• Haha
Reactions: JD Jones

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I'm glad you distinguished Canadians and English speakers as two separate groups. (Apart from that weird French dialect), the two are exclusively different.

How aboot that eh?

Canada is much like GB, there are many different dialects, depending on the province or city. The written version of English is much closer to the British version than the American version.

eddsters

Jan 19, 2023
Santo Domingo

How aboot that eh?

Yes we speak english kind of properly, not too much slang. Bit more respectful than our US friends.

• Haha
Reactions: AlaPlaya

eddsters

Jan 19, 2023
Santo Domingo
Welcome to Wonderland.
Where ya from?
How long have you been in the city?
Como es tu Espanol?
I have a Canadian friend on the North Coast who is a software developer.
Thanks Cristo,
Im from Vancouver, been here for about 2 months now. Mi espanyol se funciona, y puedo hablar por pasar mi dia. Where abouts do you live?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Vancouver is a beautiful city but a little too cold for me. Closest I've been would be Seattle back in January 2005.
I left Santo Domingo for Santiago in 2015.
Wish I had done it much sooner as Santiago has more of the good things and less of the bad things in my opinion. I was down in the Capital for Christmas weekend with my ex-wife and her family (we split but stay friends) and 3 days of city was enough for me.

eddsters

Jan 19, 2023
Santo Domingo
Vancouver is a beautiful city but a little too cold for me. Closest I've been would be Seattle back in January 2005.
I left Santo Domingo for Santiago in 2015.
Wish I had done it much sooner as Santiago has more of the good things and less of the bad things in my opinion. I was down in the Capital for Christmas weekend with my ex-wife and her family (we split but stay friends) and 3 days of city was enough for me.
Yes I agree Santo Domingo is a bit too busy/traffic-y for me. What do you feel Santiago offers you? Besides lack of city life?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Yes I agree Santo Domingo is a bit too busy/traffic-y for me. What do you feel Santiago offers you? Besides lack of city life?
Don't want drag this thread off-topic but here are a few reasons I prefer STI over SD.

1. Slower pace of life
2. Lower cost of living
3. Fiber Optic internet widely available
4. Less crime
5. Center of town is very walkable
6. Good food along with several well-known franchises (if that's ya cup of tea)
7. Most of the same big name shopping options La Sirena, El Canto, Nacional, Bravo, Casa Cuesta, Ikea, Nike, Price Mart, ect..
8. National sports teams like the Aguilas baseball and the Metros basketball (games are always a good time)
9. Carnival is celebrated every Sunday in the month of February (a little taste of back home/ NOLA)
10. Block parties
11. People here tend to be less brash and less aggressive
12. From October to March the weather is usually between 60 to 85 degrees F which works just fine for me
12. All around better quality of life in my opinion

I wouldn't say lack of city life as the city is definitely moving in this direction.
Enjoy!

Reactions: marcosalm

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Really cool what is it like over there? Ive heard interesting things about Boca Chica. Do you visit the beach often? Im living in Piantini
You are living in Piantini? Where are you from?

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Really cool what is it like over there? Ive heard interesting things about Boca Chica. Do you visit the beach often? Im living in Piantini
Boca Chica is ok but not my first or second choice. I avoid the beach like the plague because of the noise and the hookers. We are about a km from the beach and it's a great location. However, you're welcome to visit and I can show you around if you like to walk.

zeferus

Feb 22, 2022
Canada

Stay Safe!
We come to the DR on and off we stay in Santo Domingo Este but I would make the Uber to go and say hi next time we are there.

How long are you planning on being in DR ?

I work in cyber security. I am originally from the French province but 27 years later in Ontario, English is very comfortable.

eddsters

Jan 19, 2023
Santo Domingo
Boca Chica is ok but not my first or second choice. I avoid the beach like the plague because of the noise and the hookers. We are about a km from the beach and it's a great location. However, you're welcome to visit and I can show you around if you like to walk.
Sure yes I would love to come visit and explore. Will keep in touch with you and keep you posted :)

Reactions: NanSanPedro

eddsters

Jan 19, 2023
Santo Domingo
Don't want drag this thread off-topic but here are a few reasons I prefer STI over SD.

1. Slower pace of life
2. Lower cost of living
3. Fiber Optic internet widely available
4. Less crime
5. Center of town is very walkable
6. Good food along with several well-known franchises (if that's ya cup of tea)
7. Most of the same big name shopping options La Sirena, El Canto, Nacional, Bravo, Casa Cuesta, Ikea, Nike, Price Mart, ect..
8. National sports teams like the Aguilas baseball and the Metros basketball (games are always a good time)
9. Carnival is celebrated every Sunday in the month of February (a little taste of back home/ NOLA)
10. Block parties
11. People here tend to be less brash and less aggressive
12. From October to March the weather is usually between 60 to 85 degrees F which works just fine for me
12. All around better quality of life in my opinion

I wouldn't say lack of city life as the city is definitely moving in this direction.
Enjoy!

Thank you for the insight, I think I will definitely visit after checking out all the videos, looks like a very interesting place to explore.