Car engine “broken”

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
Sadly you fall into the Hyundai 2011-2015 engine recall range. I own a 2013 sonata here in the U.S. and have received 3 letters from Hyundai that state that I’m covered for engine failure and replacement. You can check your VIN on NHSTA recall but in your situation being in DR Hyundai will most certainly deny any such warranty. If your Hyundai is in good shape you could go for the used engine but with one caveat. Be sure you are not going to replace with an engine from the recall years or you may be back in this situation in short order. I know 165,000 pesos sounds pretty good to get back on the road versus buying another vehicle. But I would hate to see you throwing away money. Good luck in whatever you decide.
I checked the Santa Fe VIN on the Sante Fe. No recalls regarding engines. There is an urgent one though regarding risk of fire while parked!
While at it, I checked the Sonata engine VIN. No recalls at all on that one.

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
The problem Kia engines are:
2011 to 2014 Optima
2012 to 2014 Sorento
2011 to 2013 Sportage
According to Kia they used the Theta engine that was prone to premature bearing failure that caused engine seizures
so the Sorento 2015 "should" be ok

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
I would strongly recommend they check with the dealer, and insist on the repairs.

I've had a couple of warranty jobs done at Delta on my Prado and it's 7 years older.
Whenever I have checked with Hyundai dealers in the past, they won't touch your car unless you bought it there, new. But in this case there is no recall regarding the Santa Fe engine.

Jan 9, 2004
I checked the Santa Fe VIN on the Sante Fe. No recalls regarding engines. There is an urgent one though regarding risk of fire while parked!
While at it, I checked the Sonata engine VIN. No recalls at all on that one.
Please have your mechanic pay close attention to the head gasket on the engine......they have been prone to leakage.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: Neargale
Jan 9, 2004
Incredible...... from a salvage car no less - an internet record
Most large salvage auctions conduct operations worldwide and regularly post VIN numbers on their websites so potential buyers can discern the motor type and other options associated with the vehicle.......before they bid/buy.

And as a PSA, anyone looking to purchase a car in the DR, the very first thing that should be done, well before you even turn the key on, is to run the VIN on any car you are thinking of buying via an internet search and through the NTHSA website. Some sophisticated buyers have a VIN software program, but a cursory search by the average buyer should be under taken.

This helps determine whether the vehicle might have a laundered title (over and above what Carfax/AutoCheck might indicate) and if there any serious open recalls that should incline the buyer to walk away.

Those who do not follow those steps first, are doing themselves a potential disservice.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
my Daughter had her engine replaced by dealer on her Santa fe 2012 plus other things …

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
my Daughter had her engine replaced by dealer on her Santa fe 2012 plus other things …
If I have to do any major work on my Prado or even my Blazer, it's getting done by the dealer. They're not perfect, but they are waaay better than any shade tree mechanic.

Jan 9, 2004
If I have to do any major work on my Prado or even my Blazer, it's getting done by the dealer. They're not perfect, but they are waaay better than any shade tree mechanic.
For the OP, the Hyundai dealer (Authorized) in Santo Domingo is Magna Motors.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
And Magna won’t talk to us because we did not buy there. We are talking to the Santiago dealer

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
I’ve seen some crazy shit down here ..drive shaft bolts for spindle threw rotor nuts rusted won’t hold properly,remedy weld nut to shaft and hope you don’t need rotors soon…

Jan 9, 2004
And Magna won’t talk to us because we did not buy there. We are talking to the Santiago dealer

Unfortunately, that is a fairly common response…..even in the US……..and often times even if the vehicle here is under federal recall for a potential serious defect……Takata airbags come to mind. But dealers are not paid well by the parent to fix recall problems, so they try to pass the buck so to speak.

And as yours, I believe, was not under recall, I am not sure why they would not provide any help with service After all, service is a major source of most dealers profits and you would presumably be paying out of pocket.

Best of luck as you navigate through the process.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Please have your mechanic pay close attention to the head gasket on the engine......they have been prone to leakage.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Yes, I just got rid of my 2012 Santa Fe because the head gasket was blown, after an increasingly frequent list of other problems.

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
The head gasket is to be replaced as they would be using the head from mine. at First I was worried then I remembered that a few years ago we changed head on a marinized Peugeot engine while at anchor.

Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
The head gasket is to be replaced as they would be using the head from mine. at First I was worried then I remembered that a few years ago we changed head on a marinized Peugeot engine while at anchor.
So, the same head, just changing the head gasket? Or buying an entire engine and transplanting your head onto it?

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2004
Have them check your head to make sure it is not warped. Hopefully, they plane the head to get a nice flat uniform surface for the gasket.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
So, the same head, just changing the head gasket? Or buying an entire engine and transplanting your head onto it?
They have found a motor but the head is cracked or missing. So they want to use the head from my car and of course a new head gasket.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Essentially you are buying a Short Block . I would only go with Factory Engine block in the Crate with all the document.. do not let these clowns REBUILD one .. or worse yet buy someone else's problem , factory Short block is always the way to go . That is just way too much work to install the Engine and then have it fail again .

Reactions: beeza and Neargale
Jan 9, 2004
They have found a motor but the head is cracked or missing. So they want to use the head from my car and of course a new head gasket.

Given that the head on the used motor is cracked, I would concur with JD’s suggestion above in purchasing a factory oem short block……..especially if you intend to keep the vehicle.

While a used motor may come with a warranty from the seller, they do not cover the cost to install…….so if it is defective too………you will get a replacement…….but the labor to install and uninstall and then install that replacement is not covered by the seller.

And the key to getting this done with minimal further negative impact to you will be the knowledge and experience of your mechanic.

I have been privy to many a stand-off between the seller of a used motor and the mechanic doing the install. Each blaming the other when a used motor does not function properly when installed…….and the customer becomes the ultimate loser in that battle.

Note that this is not an attempt to influence you in any way, but merely to inform you of the possibilities.

Again, good luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

DRforme

Oct 23, 2022
USA
Have them check your head to make sure it is not warped. Hopefully, they plane the head to get a nice flat uniform surface for the gasket.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Yea they will get to that as soon as they finish checking everything with a micrometer.🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Sad