What does a citizen of Haiti need to be "legal" in the DR

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I had a similar problem. Two weeks ago he didn't show up. I was really concerned. Went home and told my lady. She said today is 3 Kings day. Nobody is working. Whew...its great to have a cook, secretary, driver, and lover all wrapped up as a package.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
I'm sorry to say that for those people you mention it will be practically impossible to live here legally. The government puts in as many road-blocks as they can to prevent Haitians becoming legal here.

My gardener paid a lawyer to RENEW his legal carnet and after months of waiting his passport has now expired, so he can't proceed with the process. To renew the passport he would have to go to Haiti to get it done and he does not dare to make that journey as things are at the moment.
Why does he have to go to Haiti to renew his passport? My friend took his Haitian girlfriend to the Haitian consulate in Santiago to renew hers.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Why does he have to go to Haiti to renew his passport? My friend took his Haitian girlfriend to the Haitian consulate in Santiago to renew hers.
Maybe applying for the new inclusion of Haitians in the humanitarian program to migrate to the USA?

There was a story on Saturday's Listín Diario about how passport requests in Haiti have gone through a noticeable increase after Joe Biden included the Haitians in that migration program.

Unless this is possible within the DR, a Haitian would have to apply in Haiti.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Maybe applying for the new inclusion of Haitians in the humanitarian program to migrate to the USA?

There was a story on Saturday's Listín Diario about how passport requests in Haiti have gone through a noticeable increase after Joe Biden included the Haitians in that migration program.

Unless this is possible within the DR, a Haitian would have to apply in Haiti.
Yea but they need to find a sponsor with $. Many have family in the USA but not a lot of $. In my case, it's the opposite. I have enough $ but I'm not family. We will see how it goes.

Reactions: Auryn

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Yea but they need to find a sponsor with $. Many have family in the USA but not a lot of $. In my case, it's the opposite. I have enough $ but I'm not family. We will see how it goes.
Does the sponser need to be "family" and prove it of course? Nan, what did you see in the process of application as a challenge and how will people play the system ?( Which of course will happen since there is so much at stake). I know it's early in the game but you're a smart guy and would welcome your thoughts on the matter.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
That strong Dominican rule of law. I think Kipling is right. Nobody knows. I saw a documentary on BBC world about people of Hatian origin born in the DR trying to get legalized. Specifically one woman they focused on. After going through a lot of hassle she finally got a cedula but she had hoped it would say Dominican on it but it said Haitian and she doesn’t have Haitian citizenship. And she had to renew again after a year.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
That strong Dominican rule of law. I think Kipling is right. Nobody knows. I saw a documentary on BBC world about people of Hatian origin born in the DR trying to get legalized. Specifically one woman they focused on. After going through a lot of hassle she finally got a cedula but she had hoped it would say Dominican on it but it said Haitian and she doesn’t have Haitian citizenship. And she had to renew again after a year.
When I did my swearing in ceremony for Dominican citizenship there were more than ten Haitians becoming Dominicans the same day, so obviously some managed to navigate the system to become legally Dominicans.

Reactions: cavok

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Does the sponser need to be "family" and prove it of course? Nan, what did you see in the process of application as a challenge and how will people play the system ?( Which of course will happen since there is so much at stake). I know it's early in the game but you're a smart guy and would welcome your thoughts on the matter.
In the app there is a box for "Other" in the relations/family questions. That's what I checked. Again, I'm still waiting for resolution. I expect to be asked to an interview with whatever immigration agency is operating this. I'm hoping for sooner rather than later.

As far as somebody playing the system, you can't fake bank accounts. They not only want to know how much money you have but also how long you've had it. I don't see a problem for me with that.

Where I do see a problem is coyote type companies springing up to "help" Haitians and others trying to navigate the process. For a small fee (of course), they will offer to guide the prospective immigrant thru the process. I don't know how much they charge and don't have a high opinion of them. Obviously I'm not going to use them.

Reactions: JD Jones

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
When I did my swearing in ceremony for Dominican citizenship there were more than ten Haitians becoming Dominicans the same day, so obviously some managed to navigate the system to become legally Dominicans.
The woman in the documentary was very poor. In the documentary they suggested she wouldn’t be able to renew. She had used everything she had in the tank.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
The problem that aarhus refers to relates to a person that was born in the DR , maybe of Haitian parents or maybe of mixed Dominican -Haitian parentage , without any record of birth . Nobody ever registered the birth. Further complications were that both parents were dead. So is the stateless person Dominican or Haitian ?? Again, as is so often the case in the DR, there is no clear answer.

Reactions: aarhus

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
In the app there is a box for "Other" in the relations/family questions. That's what I checked. Again, I'm still waiting for resolution. I expect to be asked to an interview with whatever immigration agency is operating this. I'm hoping for sooner rather than later.

As far as somebody playing the system, you can't fake bank accounts. They not only want to know how much money you have but also how long you've had it. I don't see a problem for me with that.

Where I do see a problem is coyote type companies springing up to "help" Haitians and others trying to navigate the process. For a small fee (of course), they will offer to guide the prospective immigrant thru the process. I don't know how much they charge and don't have a high opinion of them. Obviously I'm not going to use them.
I think the number allowed for this admittance under this program for the first two years has already been reached

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
One other odd thing in DR, not that annoying but why do half the women's names begin with "Y"
Yiseri,
Yineri,
Yohany,
Yolanda,
Yaquiri,
Yishali

add your own - but it seems between 30-40 years ago it must have been required to name your daughter with a "Y"

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
One other odd thing in DR, not that annoying but why do half the women's names begin with "Y"
Yiseri,
Yineri,
Yohany,
Yolanda,
Yaquiri,
Yishali

add your own - but it seems between 30-40 years ago it must have been required to name your daughter with a "Y"
Yohanna, Yanibel, Yaritza, Yarlin ,Yaniri, Yisenia, Yosmairy, Yokari, Yakaira, Yerling, Yerolyn...etc, and of course my wife YRIS.

Reactions: chico bill

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Yiseri,
Yineri,
Yohany,
Yolanda,
Yaquiri,
Yishali

But the Y is pronounced more like a J............

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Yiseri,
Yineri,
Yohany,
Yolanda,
Yaquiri,
Yishali

Same in Cuba. Must be a Spanish Caribbean thing.