ARAJET

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
No socks with loafers or dress shoes?
Yikes.
The blisters.
But having said that...nothing is more off putting to me than a guy wearing socks with sandals.

What about guys who go commando? Or guys who don't use deodorant. Or guys who wear suit trousers which are about 3 inches too short.

• Haha
Reactions: JD Jones

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
What about guys who go commando? Or guys who don't use deodorant. Or guys who wear suit trousers which are about 3 inches too short.
3 inches too short?
Where I come from we call them "flood pants".
lol.
At the risk of being accused of piling on...
What about those horrid muscle shirts aka wife beaters.
The sweaty guys with big hairy armpits leaning over the buffet in an all in.
UGH!!
Mega turn off.
🤢

Reactions: MariaRubia

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
3 inches too short?
Where I come from we call them "flood pants".
lol.
At the risk of being accused of piling on...
What about those horrid muscle shirts aka wife beaters.
The sweaty guys with big hairy armpits leaning over the buffet in an all in.
UGH!!
Mega turn off.
🤢
I am planning to use muscle shirts when I get back into shape

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
A venture of this size and magnitude has local money involved for sure...I would think.
An airline and building additions to airports sounds like it could be right up the Rainieri family's alley.
If anybody has money to burn AND government contacts, it is they.

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
ARAJET = ARAB

I don't want to be the pesimist here but who was this idiot that gave this company a name that many might afiliate with an arab nation (airline).
How the gonna call the express check in ??? 911 ARAJET ? Just wondering....

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
A venture of this size and magnitude has local money involved for sure...I would think.
An airline and building additions to airports sounds like it could be right up the Rainieri family's alley.
If anybody has money to burn AND government contacts, it is they.

The guy who started Arajet is a British guy who started Wizz air in Europe. He has investment capital money behind him from a firm called Bain Capital, who evidently have more than US$ 150bn under management, so they are not short of a cent or two. The European, Asian and US markets are swamped with airlines, hard to compete. But he's identified a market in Santo Domingo, as the regional hub city of the Caribbean. From what I understand there is no involvement from the Vicinis or the Rainieris in this one.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
ARAJET = ARAB

I don't want to be the pesimist here but who was this idiot that gave this company a name that many might afiliate with an arab nation (airline).

Brief history of Arajet

Born as DW Dominican Wings in 2014, the company operated several charter flights with Avion Express Airbus A320 aircraft under wet leasing. In 2018 it changed its corporate name to Flycana, maintaining DW Dominican Wings’ air operator’s certificate, to become an ultra-low-cost carrier.

In 2020 a new airline emerged: SkyCana. In order not to cause confusion in the market, Flycana was forced to change its name to Arajet. In March, Arajet had also surprised by announcing an order for up to 35 Boeing 737-8200s, the high-density version of the 210-passenger MAX 8, the first American airline to do so.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
The guy who started Arajet is a British guy who started Wizz air in Europe. He has investment capital money behind him from a firm called Bain Capital, who evidently have more than US$ 150bn under management, so they are not short of a cent or two. The European, Asian and US markets are swamped with airlines, hard to compete. But he's identified a market in Santo Domingo, as the regional hub city of the Caribbean. From what I understand there is no involvement from the Vicinis or the Rainieris in this one.

I would have picked Punta Cana airport over SDQ.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008

Brief history of Arajet

Born as DW Dominican Wings in 2014, the company operated several charter flights with Avion Express Airbus A320 aircraft under wet leasing. In 2018 it changed its corporate name to Flycana, maintaining DW Dominican Wings’ air operator’s certificate, to become an ultra-low-cost carrier.

In 2020 a new airline emerged: SkyCana. In order not to cause confusion in the market, Flycana was forced to change its name to Arajet. In March, Arajet had also surprised by announcing an order for up to 35 Boeing 737-8200s, the high-density version of the 210-passenger MAX 8, the first American airline to do so.
So it’s American?

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
So it’s American?

It seems to have been co-founded by Mike Powell and Victor Pacheco. Victor is the Dominican aviation guy (with the bad dress sense) and the figurehead of the company. The one with the money links is Mike Powell, he's the Brit who comes from a city financial background. Sorry for the long quote below but it explains where the money is coming from.

About Mike Powell

Mike’s early career was spent in both buy and sell-side roles in the equity market, with a focus on the aviation sector. Based in London and Madrid, he was part of a top-rated transport team and played a leading role in many of the sector’s key events from the 1990s onwards: the privatization of national airlines and airport operators, the first low cost airline listings and a variety of M&A transactions.

Mike became CFO of the ULCC Wizz Air in 2007, when it had just nine aircraft. Based in Budapest and Geneva, he was instrumental in building a disruptive business that delivered huge growth, often in challenging circumstances, generated stellar equity returns and ultimately became recognized as one of Europe’s leading airlines. In 2015 Mike led the largest ever low-cost airline IPO when Wizz Air listed in London. Today Wizz Air handles 40 million passengers a year and is valued at over $7 billion (from start-up funding of just $60 million).

In 2017 Mike helped secure funding for a new Ultra Low-Cost Carrier (ULCC), Flybondi, and now serves as Executive Chairman. Flybondi is the first low cost airline in Argentina and commenced commercial operations in January 2018. So far Flybondi has carried over 3 million passengers and is already the third largest airline in the country.

Mike is a non-executive director of Pegasus Airlines, the second largest airline and leading low-cost carrier in Turkey. Pegasus carried over 30 million passengers in 2019 and is listed on the Istanbul Stock Exchange. Mike is also Executive Chairman and Interim CFO of Flycana, which aims to become the Caribbean’s first ULCC.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
So he goes where he sees a potential to build a new hub. After Wizz air in Europe he is in Argentina, Turkey and the DR. Smart fellow. Still I would have picked PC Airport. Maybe they first wanted to and that’s why they were Flycana ?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
ARAJET = ARAB

Ara is actually a Taino name for a particular parrot which happens to be native to the island. Notice the parrot head as a logo?

There are many Taino words that to some may seem Arab, but they are not. Take for example the Ozama River. It has that name since pre-Columbian times (actually, that's the only name that river has had). Well before a man was born and was given the name Osama Bin Laden, the Ozama River has been called that. It has nothing to do with Arabs, the Middle East or that man.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
There are lots of arab words in Spanish supposedly. I read Ojala is arab. There was a lot of arab influence in the South of Spain. In Latin America there have been many arab immigrants. Many here in the DR too. I believe the president Luis Abinader is mixed Arab-Spanish. Maybe Nals can confirm.

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
Ara is actually a Taino name for a particular parrot which happens to be native to the island. Notice the parrot head as a logo?

There are many Taino words that to some may seem Arab, but they are not. Take for example the Ozama River. It has that name since pre-Columbian times (actually, that's the only name that river has had). Well before a man was born and was given the name Osama Bin Laden, the Ozama River has been called that. It has nothing to do with Arabs, the Middle East or that man.
Al of you are missing the point. No would be future passenger will perform a google search to find out about the orign of "Arajet" ! My point was;
The avarage US Tourist that looks for a Flight to the DR that can choose between BLUJET, DELTA, AA etc and "ARAJET" honestly.....what do you think they will select ?

Reactions: La Profe_1

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Al of you are missing the point. No would be future passenger will perform a google search to find out about the orign of "Arajet" ! My point was;
The avarage US Tourist that looks for a Flight to the DR that can choose between BLUJET, DELTA, AA etc and "ARAJET" honestly.....what do you think they will select ?
It’s not easy to pick a good name lol